• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Temple90

Reaction score
Thank you for the advice fellas! I'm also looking for a pair of loafers. I know that Hugo Boss doesn't get much love around here, but I love the sleek look of their loafers vs the bulky look of some other brands loafers.
I particularly like the following pair, but do not know if I want to drop $300 on them. Can someone recommend a similar loafer in the $200 range?

http://www.hugoboss.com/us/'cilby'-...le=sale-categories&prefv1=Shoes&sz=96&start=1

bobdobalina

Reaction score
Does anyone want to recommend for me a good off the rack suit line for a man with a wide back and (proportionally) narrow shoulders?

(If that's not unfortunate enough, also I am sort of ugly.)

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Even if this is true - and I don't know that it is, but for the sake of this post, let's assume it's true - it's irrelevant. The covering is not as it should be. Therefore, the shoes are flawed, and presumably not acceptable to you.

Let us say I buy a new car, and upon taking delivery I notice that the front right fender is a different shade of blue than is the rest of the car.

I inform the dealer that there is a problem with my new car. That the front right fender is medium blue, and not dark blue like the rest of the car.

He replies that, "The color of the paint on the fender is simply a matter of aesthetics. That it's the wrong color will not affect the longevity or quality of your car."

What he has said is absolutely true. The longevity and quality of my car would not be affected, were the fender medium blue, hot pink, or purple with green polka dots.

But is this a reasonable response, which ought to settle the matter?

Of course not!

It's a flaw - even if only an aesthetic flaw. It's a legitimate reason for me to be dissatisfied. I would be entitled to a refund, a replacement car, a re-painting of the existing vehicle, or basically some sort of mutually acceptable resolution to the problem.

Seems to me, if you purchased a pair of new shoes with turn out to be aesthetically flawed, and you were not informed by the seller prior to purchase that they might be aesthetically flawed, you have a legitimate reason to be dissatisfied with the shoes.

Aesthetic flaws matter!

Demand an exchange or a refund.

Or decide that you don't really care about the flaw, and stop worrying about it.

Your choice.

Uh, that's just a channeled sole. The covering for most shallow channels like that one- which are pretty much purely aesthetic and don't affect wear- wears off pretty quickly with normal wear to the sole. It's normal and nothing to be upset about. You might not want to see it on a new shoe, but you're going to have much more significant aesthetic damage to the sole the moment you step outside.

Last edited:

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you for the advice fellas! I'm also looking for a pair of loafers. I know that Hugo Boss doesn't get much love around here, but I love the sleek look of their loafers vs the bulky look of some other brands loafers.
I particularly like the following pair, but do not know if I want to drop $300 on them. Can someone recommend a similar loafer in the $200 range?

http://www.hugoboss.com/us/'cilby'-...le=sale-categories&prefv1=Shoes&sz=96&start=1

Those aren't pretty at all...they are trying to be all things at once

I think you have to realize what a loafer is about to trust the beauty of a classic loafer like Bass Weejuns or similar.

chekc this out
:http://oxfordclothbuttondown.com/2014/10/theres-a-new-loafer-in-town/

Last edited:

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Uh, that's just a channeled sole. The covering for most shallow channels like that one- which are pretty much purely aesthetic and don't affect wear- wears off pretty quickly with normal wear to the sole. It's normal and nothing to be upset about. You might not want to see it on a new shoe, but you're going to have much more significant aesthetic damage to the sole the moment you step outside.
That's the worst hidden channeling I've seen.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's the worst hidden channeling I've seen.

They sell welted shoes made from full grain leather for $200. Channeling is a mostly pointless aesthetic detail. So it's not done to the standards of Edward Green- what do you want from them?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Those are abjectly terrible.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They sell welted shoes made from full grain leather for $200. Channeling is a mostly pointless aesthetic detail. So it's not done to the standards of Edward Green- what do you want from them?
I'd rather them not try and just stick with an open channeled sole then.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pierson v Post

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone shed any light on this old tie I found today? Made in Scotland by Laurie of Glasgow. "Lawrie for Tartan". I guess this was a kilt-making company?

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What would be the cheapest method to ship 2 pairs of shoes (one package) to Spain from the US? Would need to be track-able.

Thanks in advance!

coldinboston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What would be the cheapest method to ship 2 pairs of shoes (one package) to Spain from the US?  Would need to be track-able.

Thanks in advance!

Probably USPS, especialky if they fit into those fixed rate boxes.
I have shipped fedex and ups before and its probably going to be close to 200USD

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably USPS, especialky if they fit into those fixed rate boxes.
I have shipped fedex and ups before and its probably going to be close to 200USD

crazy.gif

Temple90

Reaction score
Those aren't pretty at all...they are trying to be all things at once

I think you have to realize what a loafer is about to trust the beauty of a classic loafer like Bass Weejuns or similar.

chekc this out
:http://oxfordclothbuttondown.com/2014/10/theres-a-new-loafer-in-town/

Those are abjectly terrible.

Yep. $300 makes them unconscionable.

Can you recommend a loafer or slip on style shoe that would go well with a suit? I like the look of the boss shoes, but not the buckle or the price. I'm looking to stay with a dark brown and ~$200.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads