• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ idk but camel hair, MIGB… probably like 5 bucks… good grab, *******.

Perhaps it should be obvious to me, but what's ARE country?

I always thought it was BFE. :happy:

Butt **** East in case someone asks :nodding:

Last edited:

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The middle of nowhere, i.e., where people get especially defensive about THERE values.
What are there values?
More importantly what'r ARE values?

Last edited:

jm22

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'd appreciate feedback on a noob question I have with a blazer of mine (made of cotton/wool combo fabric). Below is the pic. On the left side of my jacket (but right on the image), there is a bulge in the shoulder seam area. It seems to puff up whereas the other shoulder-sleeve area is fine. My questions: 1) What is this issue called? 2) Can a tailor fix it? 3) Around how much would it cost? I already took it to one tailor and he said he couldn't fix it. So I thought I'd try my luck with the knowledge base here. Thanks.

Last edited:

VirgilVerne

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'd appreciate feedback on a noob question I have with a blazer of mine (made of cotton/wool combo fabric). Below is the pic. On the left side of my jacket (but right on the image), there is a bulge in the shoulder seam area. It seems to puff up whereas the other shoulder-sleeve area is fine. My questions: 1) What is this issue called? 2) Can a tailor fix it? 3) Around how much would it cost? I already took it to one tailor and he said he couldn't fix it. So I thought I'd try my luck with the knowledge base here. Thanks.

Yeah will probably need a better picture... from what I can see here is as if the blazer is constructed with two different types of shoulders, the left in the pic is natural and the right is significantly roped

Konstantinos343

Reaction score
I have two questions. I hope someone can give me his opinions/advices.

I'm thinking of buying a navy blue blazer. I want to wear it with black dress pants and a white blue dots mandarin shirt. Can this be an OK look in your opinion?

Another thing I want to ask now. If I want to buy navy blue dress pants and a navy blue vest in the future (along with the blazer I might already have and a new white shirt and a tie), will there be a problem if there is a slight divergence among the pants'. vest's and blazer's navy blue colour?

I'm really new to formal looks..
musicboohoo%5B1%5D.gif

Isolation

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, don't do it. Either exact same, or clearly different color and/or clearly different texture.

ie, blue jeans can go with blue jacket, but not blue wool slacks.

Generally it's recommended to go for me gray or tan trousers instead of black to go with navy blazer. If appropriate I also recommend cream (linen/worsted/flannel/chino/denim all viable). Light brown in tweed/linen are also options.

If you must wear black slacks, which are faux pas on these boards, I recommend a light gray blazer for a grayscale/monochrome outfit. I'd go for solid white shirt in this case. This would not be a very CM outfit though, and more a sw/d type thing.

Last edited:

Konstantinos343

Reaction score
That's very helpful! Thank you..

I might think about buying a cream pair of pants to suit with my blazer. It sounds more attractive indeed.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm thinking of buying a navy blue blazer. I want to wear it with black dress pants and a white blue dots mandarin shirt. Can this be an OK look in your opinion?

The dark blue blazer with the black pants is usually a bad idea. The fact that the two colors - dark blue and black - are too similar. It's almost a sartorial "uncanny valley," where they neither match perfectly enough to be tolerable, or are sufficiently different to be acceptable.

I'd add that black pants, in and of themselves, tend not to get too much love on SF. But even if one likes black pants, they're enormously better paired with, say, a light/medium grey jacket, than with navy blue.

If I want to buy navy blue dress pants and a navy blue vest in the future (along with the blazer I might already have and a new white shirt and a tie), will there be a problem if there is a slight divergence among the pants'. vest's and blazer's navy blue colour?
Getting a perfect match will be nearly impossible. Go ask anyone who wants to get a replacement pair of pants for a suit whose jacket is still good.

Anyway, the navy pants, with navy vest, and navy blazer, all of almost the same shade of navy blue, will be awful. It's that "trying to sort of resemble a suit, but not doing it well at all" look. Avoid.

If you want to wear a navy blue suit, wear a navy blue suit. Navy blue suits are fine. The combination you describe isn't a navy suit. And it's not fine.

KNG24

Reaction score
Quick question: I have a dark blue blazer that I'm pairing with some tan/ khaki slacks. I have a grey shirt that seems to go really well with the two but I can't think of a color for a tie. Any suggestions?

Konstantinos343

Reaction score
One more question. I am not sure if what I tried out in the store is a blazer, sport coat or suit coat. How can I learn identify them? What are the solid differences? I'm asking because if what I want is a suit coat, I know that I can't wear it with different colour pants. Or can I?
marchal.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads