• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Raisan

Reaction score
Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask, wasn't sure where else this belonged.

Are there any button down shirts that are meant for casual wear and that could maybe be dressed up that ISN'T oxford button down cloth?

I saw these on grailed (https://*****************/listings/244376 or https://*****************/listings/180845) and assumed these could be worn casually. Any info on what kind of shirts these are?

jfo2010

Reaction score
Anyone know the brand of this jacket? Thanks!!

f99d67e28bcf472865e3a35cc85e4ac6.jpg

gtkrwn

Reaction score
I was thinking of pairing a royal oxford shirt with an ancient madder tie, but something seems off about shiny shirt with matte tie. Am I right?

Made in California

Reaction score
How do FarFetch sales work? When do they occur, on which types of items? Like do they have some sort of blanket everything-40%-off type sale in the next month?

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does a woven belt work with wool trousers and a button down shirt (no sport coat)?

I wear my belts from No Man Walks Alone like this all the time. Hell, i wear them under a suit sometimes too, because I can get the perfect cinch at the waist and still very comfortable. I prefer the color belts over leather woven for this tho, most woven leather belts I see I don't like much.

http://www.nomanwalksalone.com/index.php/accessories/belts/blue-intreccio-elastic-woven-belt.html

http://www.nomanwalksalone.com/index.php/accessories/belts/brown-intreccio-elastic-woven-belt.html

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Only one way to know for sure! Throw it on and let's see. Nullius in verba

I wear my belts from No Man Walks Alone like this all the time. Hell, i wear them under a suit sometimes too, because I can get the perfect cinch at the waist and still very comfortable. I prefer the color belts over leather woven for this tho, most woven leather belts I see I don't like much.

http://www.nomanwalksalone.com/index.php/accessories/belts/blue-intreccio-elastic-woven-belt.html

http://www.nomanwalksalone.com/index.php/accessories/belts/brown-intreccio-elastic-woven-belt.html

Thank you, mine is similar to the second belt you posted. So should work. It is a dark brown color.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was thinking of pairing a royal oxford shirt with an ancient madder tie, but something seems off about shiny shirt with matte tie. Am I right?

One could just as readily maintain that such a contrast between shirt and tie is a good thing. Me? I'd want to see the shirt and tie together, before forming an opinion as to whether they work.

But ultimately, if you're the one wearing them, and you don't find the combination pleasing, then you're right - it looks "off." To you. Which is reason enough to avoid the pairing.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does a woven belt work with wool trousers and a button down shirt (no sport coat)?

Woven leather belts tend to be relatively casual.

If you were asking about wearing one with, say, a pair of chinos and a button down shirt (no sport coat), I'd say it's absolutely fine - a near perfect match in terms of formality, really.

And while upping the ante from chinos to wool trousers does make things a little less casual, it's not a remarkably dramatic differerence. So yeah, I'd say it's still okay to wear the woven belt - maybe not the absolutely best belt choice, but still perfectly acceptable.

Now, wearing a woven leather belt with a business suit... no. I know that some men do it, and maybe a few of them even look good doing it. Maybe. But basically that'd be a combination which would cross the line for me, and likely for most men who adhere to classic men's dress standards.

I suppose one could defend even the suit + woven belt combination by pointing out that a gentleman's suit coat is always buttoned (save perhaps when one is seated), so the belt mostly won't be visible in the first place. Thus, it doesn't matter much exactly which type of belt one wears with a suit. I admit, I've even given this sort of answer in response to the occasional "What color suspenders should I wear..." question. But I agree that's one of those "weaseling out of giving a straight answer" type of response better left to politicians on the campaign trail, for all that it might technically possess some merit.

I'll still maintain, however, that since a man will typically keep his underwear covered up in public, it's okay to wear Marvin the Martian boxers with a business suit, despite the contrast between the whimsical and the serious.

But I digress.

Dragontail275

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm having trouble finding the right size for a suit and am wondering if anyone here has some suggestions. I purchased a size 40S J.Crew Ludlow suit that ended being too tight in the shoulders. I made the costly mistake of taking to a tailor, who opened up the upper sleeve to try to make more room. It didn't work, unfortunately. It looks to fit everywhere else except the upper arm, where there's an indentation rather than a smooth line that you would expect. I was told that this was because my arms and shoulders are a decent size (but I'm by no means a big guy). The indentation bothers me enough that I don't want to wear it, because it seems really obvious that it doesn't fit. Here's a picture of it (it's not quite as obvious of a divot in the pic, but it's definitely there):

I purchased a 40S Crosby suit last week with the sale they were running because it's supposed to be roomier. It looks to have the same problem, although size-wise it almost looks too big. Here's the pic:

I've always thought I was a 40, mainly because my 42R suit seems just a bit roomier than I'd like, but is the issue here that I'm just not that size? Or do J.Crew suits just not fit me?

I'm not sure if the preference for pictures in posts is to link to a site like imgur or to put them inline. If I guessed wrong, let me know and I'll update the post. I can also provide more pictures if you think it will help.

Thanks in advance for your help.

shoelover

Reaction score
Got these at a thrift store for $10. Shoe uppers look pretty good, but heel and soles are shot. Are these worth redrafting by AE for $150, or should I let my local cobbler take a shot for $50?

Dragontail275

Reaction score
Thanks masaccio.

Quote:
This must be what the tailor attempted to do when he removed the sleeve. Looks like I need to try a different brand, since I think the 42 would be too large. Guess I wasted some serious money on this one.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm looking for Argyle socks in wool (wool/nylon blend) of a high quality. Colors of particular interest are greens, olives, browns, taupes ... with other colors accenting ... and especially combinations of greens and browns.

I'm hoping that some of you know of stores that carry them. I've tried Ben Silver and Paul Stuart ... wanting to find a few more sources that might be new to me or have slipped my mind.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads