• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

bespoken4me

Reaction score
Last thing. The guys wearing toe antiqued shoes and above the waist jackets were the same guys wearing duck bill platypus square toed shoes 10 years ago. Those my friend, are the Perils of Pauline. You bought, you own. Pick up Flusser's book or any of the other timeless style guides and you will get a sense of style vs fashion. Not every rule is meant to be broken. Over the last century it had been attempted. Through plenty of error, assisted by charlatans, the only truly and classically well dressed men have never dabbled in the fashion of the moment. These jackets lengths are laughable to all but those wearing, and those wearing won't be in a few years. Have your own sense of what works. If you abandon with each seasonal lineup change dictated by others, you are simply a follower. It didn't work and you will be exposed as simply another wannabe- if not to others, you at least will know.

bespoken4me

Reaction score

two things on the darker suit:
you think the suits length is okay? im afraid i will end up with my legs looking like the go on forever (they actually do, but I dont necessarily want to enhance that)

the pants are maybe a little tight around the butt area. i generally wear tight fitting clothes, but how much can be altered/let out in that area? is that a simple procedure?
maybe it will need a little waist suppression but i will have to wear it a couple times before i feel i can make a decision on that.
Using the thumb knuckle as measuring guide makes me laugh- not at you, but at the fashion rules radical change in last 6 years. For 70 years, all tailors and those wearers with innate or learned knowledge of style (not fashion) had one immutable rule- the length of jacket was determined by the the 2nd knuckle of hand. Drop arms to side, then cup your hand. The inseam of jacket should fall between the 1st and 2nd joint. Now jackets are measured by looking at the entire hand and wrist extending below the coat. Beware, this too will change and was a radical move by the fashion houses to alter entire wardrobes. If you follow these rules, fine. You however become a slave to those arbiters at GQ and will never be able to maintain a classic lineup. So many abrupt changes have been made to the professional wardrobe that, in your case, you can't ever go back. Do you all honestly think that a jacket length that rests above the ass looks good? In 5 years you will be told that ventless looks the best and need to adjust accordingly. Fashion is great. It's easy, others do the planning for you, you will be relevant to the lemmings publications and will never ever have to worry about the "next big thing"- it will be dictated to you. By the way- go to any reputable bespoke house and ask them- they cringe when suits are built today for the cowards of class. If you buy at this length, then stay with it for the rest of your life. It will at least show that you have consistency of style and are not captive to seasonal whims of some really horrible fashion houses. Attolini, D'Avenza, Kiton and others have a "line" of suits for the craven followers. Get an MTO or bespoke from them and watch the tailor and salesman shake heads ruefully, knowing that you won't be wearing that suit in 3 years when they go to a notchless lapel on GQ's cover

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, you obviously know everything, so I'll bow out.

bespoken4me

Reaction score
Really? My opinion, shared by many but not all. This isn't a one answer forum, and I for one, would certainly want to hear more than just one recommendation. Your answer may be more in line of what he is looking for, but for you to give a chippy "know it all" comment is a tad sensitive and childish. Please tell me you aren't one of those who love to call out "haters"

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really? My opinion, shared by many but not all. This isn't a one answer forum, and I for one, would certainly want to hear more than just one recommendation. Your answer may be more in line of what he is looking for, but for you to give a chippy "know it all" comment is a tad sensitive and childish. Please tell me you aren't one of those who love to call out "haters"
And your response wasn't a bit long winded and derisive? I don't care how many responses he gets, or if they don't agree with mine, but show some class.

Festus Magnus

Reaction score
Hello All,

Looking for advice on cleaning some Persol sunglasses. The swords/arrows on my sunglasses are starting to tarnish. Probably more due to me touching them with my fingers and my sweat/moisture getting on them. I have tried rubbing them with the cleaning cloth that came with them and that helped a little, but they are still tarnished. Any suggestions on cleaning them? Is there some type of cleaning product I should use? I do not want to strip off the chrome and end up with unusable sunglasses because I stripped off the shininess.

A bit of a late answer. From what I gather (owning Persol sunglasses and eyeglasses), the plating on the hardware tends to be somewhat delicate. Simichrome is probably far too abrasive. I'd just suggest an ordinary jeweller's cloth, which is generally yellow, or a rouge cloth which has both a yellow and red side. The yellow cloth is impregnated with a very fine abrasive used to give a high polish. The red side on the rouge cloth has a rougher abrasive that is used for more stubborn tarnishing.

Of course, when using either of the jeweller's or rouge cloth, take care not to rub the lens itself. The abrasive in the cloth will damage the coating.

Close Horse

Reaction score
How appropriate are monkstrap shoes in a business environment?
Depends on the business. Conservative law firm won't appreciate it at all. Startup would probably not blink.

Generally though monkstraps are on the casual end of the spectrum. If you have to question their appropriateness, err on the side of caution and don't wear them to work.

bradp

Reaction score
I wear double monks at a conservative law firm all the time. there's a direct relationship between conservatism and obliviousness to what others are wearing.

BrooksLauren77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:

Your state it is your opinion, but it come across as if you think your opinion is the only correct one. I.E. I'm right and everyone else is wrong.

Quote:
How appropriate are monkstrap shoes in a business environment?
Perfect shoes for business casual IMO, but I would stick with single plain toed monks in a more conservative office.

BrooksLauren77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't give you a good answer, but have you tried asking in the Allen Edmonds thread about your AE shoes? I have a feeling it's likely cosmetic.

tommyhuynh

Reaction score
Hi.

So, I took my white linen suit to the cleaner's and upon getting home, I noticed that the pants are noticeably brighter than the jacket. What should I do? How should I rectify it?

I got some dirt stains on the seat of my trousers and so I asked them to remove the dirt stains. Did the soaking and cleaning process result in brighter pants? If so, how do I get my jacket the same brightness level?

upcoming

Reaction score
How does this shirt fit?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads