• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Perhaps the silliest question of the day, but here goes...

My shirt cuffs typically have two buttons, one button for a loose cuff and the other for a more snug cuff.  Is there any sartorial aesthetic reason or "rule" regarding which button should be used?

My cuffs tend to fit better when I use the snug button.  If using the snug button is not "against the rules," I'd rather not have the cuffs resized/cuff buttons re-located.

Thanks in advance!

- John

My experience has been that you usually get the two buttons on the cuff if you bought a shirt with two sleeve numbers, e.g., 15-32/33. The tighter button is for a 32 sleeve and the looser button is for a 33 sleeve. I usually only buy dress/sport shirts now with only one sleeve length number so most of my shirts only have the one button and possibly a gauntlet button.

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a dark navy suit and would like a knitted tie and tie bar that would work well. Any suggestions on colour and style of tie bar etc?

Photos or web-links would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Tie bars with knit ties look awesome. Go for it. Make it a shorter bar. Match it to your belt or suspender hardware if possible. Try the Knottery, or Chipp. Both have good knits for good prices. Color of tie will depend largely on your shirt, but if you go with solid white or solid light blue shirt, just about anything will work. Get some color in your life. Green or Red.

Last edited:

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Go for it. Make it a shorter bar. Match it to your belt or suspender hardware if possible.

But since you will keep your jacket on, and buttoned (save when seated, perhaps), it won't be readily apparent that your tie bar matches your belt or your suspender hardware.

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But since you will keep your jacket on, and buttoned (save when seated, perhaps), it won't be readily apparent that your tie bar matches your belt or your suspender hardware.
You are right, and that's more of a guideline than a hard and fast rule.

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with Jose and Markham shoes? http://jose-markham.com/

I am in need of new shoes and would really like to invest in something of quality that I can resole multiple times. I cannot currently justify the 500cad + tax for AEs and looking for an alternative. 160cad gets me classic style with Goodyear welts with jose and Markham - sounds to good to be true. Appreciate any first had feedback or 2nd opinion - worth a shot?

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't know about their quality first hand but I will tell you that after taking a glance at their offerings I am of the opinion that they are pretty ugly. They aren't complete abominations which, at that price, is usually what you'd find, so they have that going for them, but my personal opinion is that I would not put my feet in them. YMMV.

Last edited:

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know about their quality first hand but I will tell you that after taking a glance at their offerings I am of the opinion that they are pretty ugly. They aren't complete abominations which, at that price, is usually what you'd find, so they have that going for them, but my personal opinion is that I would not put my feet in them. YMMV.
I don't disagree. If you are set on these, stick to something plain like their cap toes.

upcoming

Reaction score
Are these trousers too short?

Arnobuyens

Reaction score
Depends on what look you're going for. Traditionally they are too short, IMO suit pants should at least rest on your shoes

upcoming

Reaction score

Depends on what look you're going for. Traditionally they are too short, IMO suit pants should at least rest on your shoes

With these pair of trousers I will just be wearing a shirt I said to the tailor I want no break has he "done them" correctly?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads