• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

BrooksLauren77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone
I am new here.
just wondering if my purple tie would match my purple shirt (their shades of purple are quite similar)

here's the pic (the suit is dark navy, not black)

@Kid Nickels how about a plain white shirt with french cuff, and a double four in a hand knot. also i could wear a tie clip instead of the pocket square

pic:

Both outfits are totally fine, where are you wearing these outfits to?

diadem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone suggest a firm in NYC where I can buy bespoke trousers for around $500 (including fabric)? I understand that Ercole back in the day used to charge around this, but they have raised their prices. I spent $800+ a pair the last time I went to Ercole (around August of last year), which is more than I'd like to spend at the moment.

Last edited:

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I actually like the dimple he got. What don't you like about the knot?

Agreed.. nice dimple. Shape of the knot however, for the nice roll on that collar just wasn't doing it for me.

gentndubs

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply once again it is much appreciated out of the two jackets I have shown you which one should I go for the first one or the second one? Which do you think fits better? Thanks a million'

First Jacket:

Second Jacket:

upcoming -- If I'm being completely honest, I don't think either one fit all that well. It's hard to tell 100% accurately based on your pics, but both jackets seem to have issues with respect to shoulders, jacket length, and sleeve width. The shoulders extend too far past your shoulder blade, and as a result there is a larger gap than there should be in the shoulder area. The jacket seems too long as well, although a full body shot would help me assess more accurately. Finally, the sleeves of the jacket should be narrowed for a trim fit more suitable to your frame.

gentndubs

Reaction score
French cuffs -- are they for suits only? Or are they appropriate with an odd jacket and worsted trousers?

Context: Friend is suddenly getting married to their partner next week at the courthouse. A long time ago they gave me some special cufflinks I'd like to wear. A suit seems over the top for courthouse / brunch after.

I am leaning towards: Grey flannel blazer, navy wool trousers, white FC shirt, Shepards check tie, split-toe bluchers. Some formality mixing in here (bluchers with shepards/fc) but I'm traveling via plane so minimal shoe wardrobe is a plus.

jmeb -- I'm new here, and some might disagree with me, but I definitely don't think cufflinks are for suits only. I myself wear cufflinks every so often with a blazer and trousers, and am happy with the end result. I've also seen it done plenty of times and think it's just fine. Given that they gave you the cufflinks and it's a special occasion, why not? It will mean something to both you and them, and you'll still look good regardless. As for the combination, pictures would certainly help but the combo seems just fine on paper. Pulled up this pic for you after a brief google search to give you an idea of a dude who pulls off cufflinks very well without a suit:

http://images.thesartorialist.com/photos/s1600/6248Helmetweb.jpg

upcoming

Reaction score

upcoming -- If I'm being completely honest, I don't think either one fit all that well. It's hard to tell 100% accurately based on your pics, but both jackets seem to have issues with respect to shoulders, jacket length, and sleeve width. The shoulders extend too far past your shoulder blade, and as a result there is a larger gap than there should be in the shoulder area. The jacket seems too long as well, although a full body shot would help me assess more accurately. Finally, the sleeves of the jacket should be narrowed for a trim fit more suitable to your frame.

How would you rate them out of 10 as they are now as I'm so slim I have a very hard time finding jackets that fit and I need one sharpish

gentndubs

Reaction score
How would you rate them out of 10 as they are now as I'm so slim I have a very hard time finding jackets that fit and I need one sharpish

Hmm...fair question. Did you try each of the jackets one size down? They might look better and require less tailoring.

If I have to rate the ones you showed us, I would rate the first jacket a 6 and the second a 5.5. I the think two fit more or less the same, although it's a bit hard to tell based on the pictures. If I had to choose, I'd go with the first one over the second, particularly because I think the ticket pocket is a nice touch

upcoming

Reaction score

Hmm...fair question. Did you try each of the jackets one size down? They might look better and require less tailoring.

If I have to rate the ones you showed us, I would rate the first jacket a 6 and the second a 5.5. I the think two fit more or less the same, although it's a bit hard to tell based on the pictures. If I had to choose, I'd go with the first one over the second, particularly because I think the ticket pocket is a nice touch

Thanks for your reply and sorry to bother you again but (your help is much apprciated if I could repay you in anyway let me know!) do you think the jackets (esp 1st one) are wearable? Will the average joe notice the poor fit? The sleeves do look a bit too full and I know getting them narrowed/trimmed will be very difficult so if I opt to get the jacket shortened and nothing else what would you rate them as then do you think. I know you need pics but do you think shortening the length will make a diffrence?

Thanks!

gentndubs

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply and sorry to bother you again but (your help is much apprciated if I could repay you in anyway let me know!) do you think the jackets (esp 1st one) are wearable? Will the average joe notice the poor fit? The sleeves do look a bit too full and I know getting them narrowed/trimmed will be very difficult so if I opt to get the jacket shortened and nothing else what would you rate them as then do you think. I know you need pics but do you think shortening the length will make a diffrence?

Thanks!

it's not a problem at all, im happy to help however I can. Shortening the length will definitely make a positive difference. However, it should be noted that shortening a jacket can sometimes be a risky proposition if you take it to a sub-par tailor. This also, of course, depends on how much you're getting it shortened. If the length you're trying to shave off is significant, the pocket placement (and other things) may look off. Either way, long story short, yes, if you can have a tailor successfully alter the length of your coat it will make a big difference. I should also note that narrowing the sleeves of your coat is pretty simple as far as tailoring requests go. I know you said you don't want to make that alteration, but I figured I'd mention it anyway for the sake of being thorough.

As for your question re the average joe, I'd say no, the average joe probably won't notice the fit issues I addressed before. I arrived at this conclusion in that by caring in the first place, and taking the time to come to this site and ask the questions you're asking, you're certainly leaps and bounds ahead of the average joe. So kudos for that. Not saying my logic is foolproof but I think you get what I'm saying.

Happy to answer other questions too, don't hesitate to ask

upcoming

Reaction score

it's not a problem at all, im happy to help however I can. Shortening the length will definitely make a positive difference. However, it should be noted that shortening a jacket can sometimes be a risky proposition if you take it to a sub-par tailor. This also, of course, depends on how much you're getting it shortened. If the length you're trying to shave off is significant, the pocket placement (and other things) may look off. Either way, long story short, yes, if you can have a tailor successfully alter the length of your coat it will make a big difference. I should also note that narrowing the sleeves of your coat is pretty simple as far as tailoring requests go. I know you said you don't want to make that alteration, but I figured I'd mention it anyway for the sake of being thorough.

As for your question re the average joe, I'd say no, the average joe probably won't notice the fit issues I addressed before. I arrived at this conclusion in that by caring in the first place, and taking the time to come to this site and ask the questions you're asking, you're certainly leaps and bounds ahead of the average joe. So kudos for that. Not saying my logic is foolproof but I think you get what I'm saying.

Happy to answer other questions too, don't hesitate to ask

Thanks for your response once again! What I think I am going to do is get the jacket shortened. I always have been told that getting sleeves narrowed is a risky proposition! But, if it can be done easily I'll have done that too. Is it expensive?

Thanks for your kind words and don't worry I completly get your logic ;) I do have one more question and that is I'm very slim (as you can see) do you reccomend anywhere where I can buy well fitting shirts? A lot of people have reccomended TML super fully fitted. Would love to hear your suggestions!

I used to buy jackets like the one I have show you! I must have looked terrible back in the day!!! Time to change all that now!

Last edited:

WeekndOrNah

Reaction score
Been searching high and low for a casual shirt and tie combination to go with my light grey suit. The suit fit itself is very slim fitting on me, and I have an athletic build

Mantoni suit
Peter Millar oxford (not buttoned down in the pic) (most expensive shirt I own but easily my nicest and current favorite)
Gladson satin tie (navy)

Already bought the shirt, but haven't bought the tie yet (Trunk Club).

Is this a winner?

Planning on wearing it for anything less formal than interviews. I have research symposiums/presentations in the coming months, along with Vegas, and maybe formal parties here and there. The conservative in me thinks the polka dot tie is too much, but everyone else I've asked says it looks good and the daring/outgoing part of me thinks it looks good. Don't know if I will have the balls to wear it to research symposiums around a bunch of old boring scientists though, ha.

Last edited:

WeekndOrNah

Reaction score

Thank you!

I've only been on here for all of 20 minutes and I'm fearful of what it will do to my bank account, yet excited for the possibilities. I'm a college student (senior) who loves to look good and likes this style / level of fashion and I make decent money already... this is dangerous. I also have a pretty bad identity crisis, as I am from Hawaii where it's a whole different world in terms of style...

Oh well.

Last edited:

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thank you!

I've only been on here for all of 20 minutes and I'm fearful of what it will do to my bank account, yet excited for the possibilities. I'm a college student (senior) who loves to look good and likes this style / level of fashion and I make decent money already... this is dangerous. I also have a pretty bad identity crisis, as I am from Hawaii where it's a whole different world in terms of style...

Oh well. 

It is very dangerous because the more you earn the more you can afford to buy the best suits, shoes, ties and coats...

It is very addictive.

teixeira

Reaction score
Hi guys, this is my first post. I'm just wondering if i can wear a navy striped suit with a white/blue striped shirt? I kinda liked the combo when i tried it, what you think?

Thanks for the help
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads