• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Three things:

- a stick deodorant I find most effective, I've used a few - Dove, Gillette, Nivea, Mitchum.  They all work, the ones with silver seem to be best, but they can all mark your black T-shirt if you don't put it on carefully.

- trim the hair under your arms; that way when you apply the deodorant it's actually to your skin where it does the job, instead of just coating your armpit hair and doing nothing

- wear an undershirt.  It seems counter-intuitive but I live in an extremely hot and humid climate, and a light, close-fitting cotton undershirt keeps your shirt looking fresh all day, even when you're feeling warm.

Thanks. You know, I have tried shaving and trimming down my pit hairs. That actually caused a different problem. The sweat would just drip and trickle down the sides of my torso, making big streaks.

I will look into summer-weight undershirts though. Any recommendations for something thin, light, and breathable?

Ossington

Reaction score
I have a pair of Eternal 811 jeans that I want to taper the inside seam of.

Does anyone know a trustworthy place in either Tokyo or New York that can do this reliably and expertly?

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Fair enough for a shirt, there are lots of online makers out there, and shirts are neither that expensive, nor hard to adjust. But I'd suggest not bothering with online tailors for suits. They have a pretty standard MO of making supposedly "bespoke" suits to the nearest standard size above what they believe yours to be, then giving you a "tailoring credit" to make it fit. Which requires the services of a good tailor, especially if the shoulders aren't perfect. And if you're local tailor's that good, you should use him in the first place.

I'm sure some people do OK with online MTM, especially if the first order isn't too far off right. But it's a high-risk policy, and at the end of the day, you're probably better off going into town and just trying lots of stuff on. Bet yeah, for a shirt, roll the dice by all means!

pestopow

Reaction score
I recently received a pair of dark gray suede loafers as a gift, what are good colors for shorts/jeans to match them?

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Grey shoes are hard to wear, but nice. Actually although I'd say denim is Satan's sackcloth, it's a good colour for your grey loafers. I think they'd also work well with navy, red/terracotta or white jeans/chinos really well.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Icebreaker grey V neck merino tshirts. Greatest things ever.
I just looked this up, and it looks fantastic. A $65 undershirt is hardcore!

So somewhere between that and Hayes' two-for-$5. Or either or both :)

Last edited:

ADante

Reaction score
Hi, people.

I've been browsing this forum for a short while now, but now I've decided to register so so I could ask you a simple question.

I'm buying a suit, not my first experience but this is going to be my only suit for a couple of months. I'm gonna be using it for work, it needs to serve me on a wedding and I intend to keep it in my wardrobe for the next few years.

I know most people recommend to go with navy or charcoal for your first suit and no stripes or textures. And I understand why, you can pull off different combinations with those suits and still look fresh even though it's the only suit you have. So what I'm about to ask might seem a bit counterintuitive of me but still, here it goes.

This suit -

This is a "birdseye" suit, you can click on the photos to see them in full resolution. I believe this suit could go well with enough colours (for a couple of months - 2 or 3 months tops), tell me if I'm wrong (I know you would anyway :)).
I have the same complexion as the guy in the photos. Pale skin, blue eyes, light brown hair, I'm skinny/fit and I'm 27 years old.

Also. Could I pull off those sunglasses (simmilar ones), could I pull off dark brown shoes and belt? If not, could you recommend other color?

Thanks, and please be fair but merciful on me.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
A birdseye is a perfectly good type of weave for a business suit, or the other occasions you mention. Personally I think the lapels are too thin (so are you, but bear in mind also how wide your head and shoulders are though, proportion matters), it's a little short in the current fashion and has a high buttoning point, but that's about your taste and you're young enough to carry it. I wouldn't want to speculate about the quality.

How the sunglasses look on you is up to you - everyone's face is different. And dark brown shoes and belt are fine, black is more formal obviously.

Last edited:

ADante

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply @mimo. Good to hear that from a senior member.

EDIT: I am thin, but I have a large head :) Shoulder width... not so wide = 45 cm/17,7 inch. Can a texture of the tie work some magic in this department?

Other opinions are welcome ofcourse.

Last edited:

docgerrard

Reaction score
Anyone have thoughts on a good suit for interviews under $500?

I'm thinking indochino vs suitsupply at the moment

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics