• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

WorldWideWafflz

Reaction score
Having character stand out in your shoes shouldn't really be crossing your mind at an interview. Dark brown would be best but I have a hard time believing merlot would cost you a job if that's what you got. Definitely pick the dark shoes. Light shoes are for light suits and light suits aren't for interviews.

Cambel

Reaction score

What do you think about merlot colored Allen Edmond Mcallisters for interview shoes?

I was going to go with walnut Strands, I think I should be a little more conservative but I still want some character.

What industry?

Merlot AE McAllisters would probably be fine for a lot of situations, I'd say.

Yeah, walnut Strands get compliments but they can be a little bright if trying to look conservative.

docgerrard

Reaction score

What industry?

Merlot AE McAllisters would probably be fine for a lot of situations, I'd say.

Yeah, walnut Strands get compliments but they can be a little bright if trying to look conservative.

Medicine, for residency interviews

docgerrard

Reaction score

Having character stand out in your shoes shouldn't really be crossing your mind at an interview. Dark brown would be best but I have a hard time believing merlot would cost you a job if that's what you got. Definitely pick the dark shoes. Light shoes are for light suits and light suits aren't for interviews.

Yeah thats true. I guess moreso than character, I just want shoes that I would enjoy wearing more often than just interviews, which is why I want something more unique than brown or black shoes.

Isolation

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations for compact travel sized stain removers and the like that are fabric friendly?

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a black cap toe shoes on my upcoming vacation that costs less than $300. What are some brands I should look at? The only decent brand available where I am from is Allen Edmonds. I will be in Vancouver and would like to take advantage of the broader selection.

Thank you

I don't know what shops are in Vancouver, but:

- get measured up in your local Allen Edmonds shop, find what you like, then see what's up at www.shoebank.com. I don't think AE are worth full price, but $100-150 seems reasonable, and I have a few that way.
- reasonably-priced English makers like Loake or Barker have some good deals. If you don't see them, try online at www.pediwear.co.uk or www.herringshoes.co.uk - they will ship to the US in a few days, and are very helpful on sizing and returns. www.meermin.es is a Spanish company that's also very reasonably priced, but a bit slow on service.

Anyone have experience tailoring a double breasted jacket?

Taking a lot of padding out of the shoulders is the biggest worry as it changes the shape a lot. Talk to your tailor about what's possible, but I'd recommend not buying anything that isn't already what you want! A tiny nip in the waist, or a half inch off the sleeves is one thing, but you don't want major surgery - single or double breasted.

What do you think about merlot colored Allen Edmond Mcallisters for interview shoes?

Yes for your purposes, but not walnut - very light colours can seem a bit frivolous.

The leather used in the quarter is inferior, from the belly of the animal or something, and stretches and wrinkles too easily. This is common on cheaper shoes, and although AE's full price doesn't seem cheap, it's firmly in the realms of "mass produced"! It's also possible that it doesn't fit you well - I do find my AE shoes a bit saggy around the waist, so that won't help. But yes I'd say that wrinking might be bad enough to count as seconds, but I can't guarantee that AE would agree.

Any recommendations for compact travel sized stain removers and the like that are fabric friendly?

An Indonesian maid.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which types/brands of deodorants have y'all found to leave the least amount of residue in your shirts?

Serious question. It's hot and humid in NYC and everybody walks everywhere. And im a sweaty bastard.

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Three things:

- a stick deodorant I find most effective, I've used a few - Dove, Gillette, Nivea, Mitchum. They all work, the ones with silver seem to be best, but they can all mark your black T-shirt if you don't put it on carefully.

- trim the hair under your arms; that way when you apply the deodorant it's actually to your skin where it does the job, instead of just coating your armpit hair and doing nothing

- wear an undershirt. It seems counter-intuitive but I live in an extremely hot and humid climate, and a light, close-fitting cotton undershirt keeps your shirt looking fresh all day, even when you're feeling warm.

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Yes. Keep your jacket done up. And tomorrow, check the Shoe Bank for something smarter. :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads