• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm 6'2 and weigh around 155 (39" chest, 33" waist). I see that a lot of modern suits use side vents, however, I've seen advice that tall and skinny guys should go with only 1 vent or maybe none at all. Wanted to see if this mattered much or if side vents were fine. Thanks

Side vents are fine. A single vent is also fine. As long as the coat fits in the seat, you're fine with any style of vent, as long as it suits the rest of your style and the way you wear your clothes.

MilanoStyle: I don't like the Cronmoks. I like tan shoes with jeans or olive pants, but really, if you want a casual low boot, a chukka strikes me as a better idea. The distressed bal boots are just a bit too steampunk for me.

Last edited:

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is there anything that can be done to make the 'back' of a jacket fit bigger?

I started weightlifting again and have outgrown a few of my jackets. A couple of them now fit fine everywhere except the back where it gets super tight if I reach forward as my lats flare a bit more than in the past.

Thanks.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which shirt and tie should I wear with each suit?

I am about to put together a series of videos, that I intend to use as an elevator pitch. I want to project confidence, competence, and intelligence, but not arrogance. For some, I will wear a suit, for others I will be wearing athletic attire, and for others I will be business casual, in a sport coat and jeans, and planning on the blue shirt you see in the photos below.

In One of the suited videos will be titled "Why am I different," in which I want to explain, of course, how I differ for others, and how that is an advantage. I am, in fact, very different from other people that they might consider, so my thought is that this will be an outfit with more individuality.

In another, I will be talking about being dedicated to success, and driven to succeed. In another I will be talking about being able to "walk the walk," not just talk the talk, i.e. that I can fit in, and be valuable, to organizations at the highest level. For these, conservative business dress is the obvious choice.

I have two suits, and I have three shirt options - blue, white, and grey. The jacket to the left is steel blue, the one to the right is a very dark navy. I only have the one blue shirt, but I would be open to adding anther one, but it might not be feasible in time to get these out in the right time line. I have burgundy cap toe balmorals with broguing across the toe seam, and black cap toe balmorals with no brouging. Here are the shirt, tie, and suit options.

I think these three are my best tie options:

Second tier of tie options:

Possible, but unlikely

So I need two, or possibly three, combinations with these elements. The steel blue is a three piece, so can be worn either way.

These are the settings (or similar type of streetscape) where I'll film the videos:

I'm planning to do the business casual videos in this setting, and this same outfit - the buildings around are all similar to this, and there is a park on the ocean across the street:

Last edited:

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there anything that can be done to make the 'back' of a jacket fit bigger?

I started weightlifting again and have outgrown a few of my jackets. A couple of them now fit fine everywhere except the back where it gets super tight if I reach forward as my lats flare a bit more than in the past.

Thanks.

I believe this depends on the jacket's construction, and if there is any room left in it to let out. Try asking in the tailoring thread, but no one will know for sure until a tailor looks at the jacket, and sees how much material is left in the seams.

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.drakes-london.com/online...lf-tip-36oz-printed-silk-foulard-8cm-tie-6625

I really want this Drake's tie in royal blue with white color but it is not in stock on Drake's website. Can someone point me to an online shop where this color and style is available?

Or at the very least point me at some online Drarke's vendors with the most available styles. I want something with dots preferably. I need something quickly as the event is on May 10th. Thanks!

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just got my loakes. Would you say that these issues are usual or are these not first quality shoes?
Left shoe welt.

This second thing isn't a big deal

SirJamesWinston

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Quote: That was very helpful, thank you. I am building up my shirt wardrobe and will probably stick to year round shirts till I get a solid two week rotation before adding seasonal shirts. Currently my five dress shirts are a light blue poplin, white poplin, blue gingham, white with blue stripes, and a light blue linen/cotton, all from Kent Wang and all spread. I wear a suit once a week, and ideally would designate these shirts for a suit, though the gingham and linen could go with my blazer. I currently have three light blue OCBD's from Luxire, which I could wear five days a week, and year round. I will try and beef these up to 10 including a white, light pink, and a few stripes and checks. These seem to be the ideal for my current responsibilities and can go with everything (including jacket less) but a suit.

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are blue or gray MOP buttons instead of white buttons appropriate for a dress shirt or that detracts too much from formality of the shirt ? I'd wear that shirt under suit mostly.

Last edited:

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Are blue or gray MOP buttons instead of white buttons appropriate for a dress shirt or that detracts too much from formality of the shirt ? I'd wear that shirt under suit mostly.

Will it be worn with a four in hand tie? While what I'm picturing in my head isn't really working, tbh, if there is a tie covering them, it doesn't make much difference, practically speaking.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads