• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wouldn't light gray/dark gray look too much like a mismatched suit?

No. It's when the pants and jacket are very similar in shade and color that it looks like a mismatched suit. But with an obviously light grey/dark grey combination, it's often quite clear at a glance that the wearer isn't trying to pretend he's wearing a suit.

This is sort of the sartorial version of the uncanny valley.

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is why gray odd jackets can be a lot more challenging than they seem just by looking at pictures on websites when you are shopping.

jayw

Reaction score
I was just browsing and trying to learn about what makes a quality tie a quality tie. After doing some research I found out about the silk being "cut to the bias" or 45 degrees. Does this method of cutting the silk mean the stripes on the ties (the weave, not the pattern) will lie at 45 degrees as well? I'm just using Sam Hober as an example here because the ties on their sites don't have the weave at exactly 45° (see links). Btw, I'm just unaware and trying to learn, and just using Sam Hober as an example. Cheers.

http://www.samhober.com/madder-twill-silk-ties/midnight-blue-twill-madder-solid-silk-4.html
http://www.samhober.com/madder-twill-silk-ties/charcoal-gray-twill-madder-solid-silk-9-en.html

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Early in the 20th century it was not uncommon for men to wear a striped jacket or striped trousers which weren't part of a suit. It's much less common today.

In particular, does anyone here have any thoughts on wearing pinstriped odd jackets or trousers? (I’m not talking about orphaned suit jackets.) Is it ever appropriate? If so, how would one go about integrating them into an ensemble?

I’m asking because these days pinstripes are strongly associated with business attire, not sportswear, and so I’m wondering if anyone here would conclude from that, e.g., that to speak of a pinstriped *sport* coat is oxymoronic.

Just wondering.

Cheers,

Ac

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I am actually interested in this as well. I often see pinstriped, odd trousers not intended to go with any particular jacket... why?

the cricket

Reaction score
noticed your question about JP Crickets. we stock a plain velvet made in italy for 328.00 A very fair price. We also stock our black on black monogram for 328.00. Check these out under our collection tab on our site. Additionally we do a custom monogram for 450.00. Our quality is Italian. We sell primarily e commerce so we can offer a very fair price direct to consumer.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you folks find the pairing here to reasonably cohesive?
The silhouette is good. Not sure what "cohesive" means here. Do I think anything's out of place in formality? No. But I think the solid purple shirt is a bit obvious with the purple in the jacket, and you said the pants were pincord -- which I've heard used to describe both very fine corduroy and very fine seersucker -- and if seersucker, then they're all wrong with that jacket.

I also think the trousers are a rather boring shade -- I'd prefer more of a British tan shade, or either dark gray or light gray. Navy could be good, too. Or you could go full Paul Stuart and get purple cords.

I think the cloth of the jacket could be a fun one to put different shirts and ties against -- there's a lot you can play with there.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads