• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

J011yroger

Reaction score
I'm quite smitten by the RLPL cutaway collar shirts, are there other brands who make similar ones? All the other ones I have seen are not as dramatic.

I'll try to snap a pic of the one I'm talking about if that would help.

Thanks

J

Last edited:

dapperdoctor

Reaction score
There is a guy on e-bay who sells Vass out of NY for reasonable prices. He just never seems to have anything I want in my size.

Bungle

Reaction score
Black shoes were traditionally the accepted color for blue and grey suits, but since the late 90's that has been relaxed and now brown shoes are much more common.

I'd encourage you to look into a pair of brown shoes- Allen Edmonds has frequent sales and you can buy second- quality shoes with minor defects for around $160-$200 during their sales. If you are building your wardrobe this is a great place to start.
Note- Be prepared to "zero in" on your correct size for each last and if buying seconds you may have to return a few duds. Shipping in the US is free both ways.
__

I was just researching side-tabs adjusters for a suit I recently commissioned. I fluctuate in weight 20lbs throughout the year so it gets annoying!
I'm in Australia and a quick googling shows that Allen Edmonds aren't stocked in stores here, which is a bit rough. But I'll keep at it!

The suit is the only pair of trousers I own with side tabs and I love them. I can wear them all day with braces in case they decide to sag and they are delightful. I wish all my trousers had them!

ovlov

Reaction score

I'm in Australia and a quick googling shows that Allen Edmonds aren't stocked in stores here, which is a bit rough. But I'll keep at it!

Good luck mate. Unfortunately in Australia our shoe option are very limited. If you're in the east coast most cities have a couple of stores that stick decent shoes but look to pay at least 50% more than what all the yanks on SF will tell you. You won't find AE anywhere but David jones stocks Loake which is about the same quality/price.

Silhouette

Reaction score
Good luck mate. Unfortunately in Australia our shoe option are very limited. If you're in the east coast most cities have a couple of stores that stick decent shoes but look to pay at least 50% more than what all the yanks on SF will tell you. You won't find AE anywhere but David jones stocks Loake which is about the same quality/price.

You have one of the best manufacturers of boots in the world in your country (RM Williams). Why not make an enquiry with them and propose new lines of oxford shoes?

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I push my foot all the way to the front of the shoe, is my shoe too loose if there is about one finger separation in the back?

Exdeath

Reaction score
What's the consensus on wearing OCBDs with neckties?

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There isn't one, and blood has been spilled over the issue.

I vote "yes."

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If I push my foot all the way to the front of the shoe, is my shoe too loose if there is about one finger separation in the back?  

Hard to say but I'd probably say yes, unless you are really pushing your foot into the end. Length may not be the issue here, but actually the width, as if the vamp isn't tight enough on your foot then width is probably the factor. Sizing is very hard to get right, as many times a 10C will be the almost the same length as a 9E just narrower etc.

In the time when I started to expand my shoe collection but was still growing in my late teens to early twenties it took a few years of experimentation in different makers to fully determine my actual size in most of them, especially the width as not many manufacturers stock different widths to try on so easily. It was finally discovered in GJ Cleverley, who are keen on narrower lasts, my true size afterall and what had been the problem was actually the width of my shoes not the length. So the lesson is to examine all aspects of fit not just the length.

A good indicator for whether your shoes are too big in length would be wear on the back of your socks as that would be evidence of heel slippage.

Last edited:

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Opinion varies.

Some insist that one should not wear an OCBD with a necktie. To whatever extent a reason is given for this rule, that reason may note (correctly) that the OCBD has its origins in sporting wear. That is, the OCBD started out as a sports shirt, not a dress shirt.

However, this has never been a universally accepted rule, and whatever authority it did once possess has been greatly reduced over the years. Moreover, there is substantial tradition in certain geographic areas and amongst certain groups and professions, of wearing ties with OCBD's.

My own take on it - and I'm coming from a Northeastern and Middle Atlantic background, with no small amount of prep and trad influence, is that it's fine to wear a necktie with an OCBD - but not always. If I were doing something especially serious and important - like addressing the Board, being interviewed on tv, interviewing for a job, serving as a member of a wedding party, etc. - I probably wouldn't wear an OCBD that day.

On the other hand, most days an OCBD might not be much of a problem for me. And an OCBD with sweater and tie (no suit) is a combination I quite like.

So there's your answer. Some say it's okay. Some say it's not okay. And some say it's okay sometimes, but not all the time.

You'll have to make up your own mind on this one. There simply is no universally accepted rule.

(This question closely parallels the equally well thrashed out, "Is it okay to wear loafers with a suit?")

I'll add that OCBD with bow tie has always struck me as an ideal pairing. Some may agree, some may disagree, but again there's a lot of tradition in support of the idea.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads