• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Unfortunately, I don't have much style at all to speak of... so I need the help of the forum members to help me here with my choices.

As a self-confessed style less noob, don't wear green shirts. Wear shirts that are solid white, solid light blue, or shirts that have fine blue stripes of fine light brown stripes. You can't go wrong with those.

Last edited:

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As a self-confessed style less noob, don't wear green shirts. Wear shirts that are solid white, solid light blue, or shirts that have fine blue stripes of fine light brown stripes. You can't go wrong with those.

Nah man. You gotta start somewhere. If you don't start experimenting with what works for you (if you're into that!) then you'll be wearing those shirts for life. Ain't nothin' wrong with that, but one could have so much more fun!

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What's a reasonable price for having someone put a topy on your shoes? What if you bring the topy?

Is there a good source for half soles online? Thinking of having a pair of boots switched over to rubber half soles and making them the winter boots.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Just possibly not within the lofted realm of classic menswear.

However, I'm assuming the OP already owns that green shirt, in which case, fine. But keep it for a more casual look. It's not really right with the grey flannels: keep the shoes with it, because the colour contrast is very pleasant, but look to khakis/chinos and it will be a nice gentlemanly laid-back "off duty" look.

When it comes to proper work-wear though, Veremund speaks truth: nothing is better than a light blue shirt with a spread collar under a navy or charcoal suit. White under navy is also perfect business dress. Varying stripes, pale pink, and yes even light green, are workable. But take a lot of consideration, and are essentially unnecessary.

If you want to be bold, wear red socks. But never wear a bright shirt with a suit, unless you're in a rap video.

westhill

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I don't have much style at all to speak of... so I need the help of the forum members to help me here with my choices.

I have a navy sports coat and a charcoal sports coat and want to know if they would go with the following shirt/pant/shoe combinations.

Also, should I wear black shoes instead?

Thanks!

Hey Jay, I think the tone of green looks quite vibrant ...almost Kelly or Emerald, and that's a tricky wear for a plain shirt . That said bright green is in fashion this Autumn so its just how to wear it . I would say part of an " informalist" or "posh-casual" look would be fine , certainly not for most work environments. Much easier would be a bottle green or olive or army/khaki green as that can be a great weekend shirt for Autumn. I bought the shirt below online the other week on SALE @ £20 GBP which was a bit of an impulse buy as I wouldn't normally choose this colour, but I've actually found it versatile with chinos, cords & grey flannels , and it feels right at this time of year. The contrast facings are a nice touch too & comes with 2 sets collar bones which is great as I always lose those guys .
https://www.mark-stephen.co.uk/slim-fit-green-check-shirt-with-light-blue-contrast.html

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nah man. You gotta start somewhere. If you don't start experimenting with what works for you (if you're into that!...

That shirt looks terrible. Really awful. Don't wear it. Or, do your own experimenting as you suggest, in which case you needn't bother asking for advice.

westhill

Reaction score

I agree to a point..White can also be a great pleasure especially a sensational white shirt made with David & John Anderson in 2/300's poplin that costs an absolute fortune but the experience is incomparable ....but some days you don't want to wrap yourself in such luxury and sophistication and I just have to choose my Turnbull & Asser's ...for that unmistakeable Jermyn Street feeling . . colourful eccentrically English stripes and checks as worn by HRH The Prince Of Wales every day, so I am led to believe . Personally I would never wear light brown stripes.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
But would you wear that bright turquoise green thing above?

I would. I wear orange and red shirts too.

I guess it might be a skin tone thing. I'm brown so I look pretty awful wearing a white shirt in the winter since it makes me look sick. Blue oxfords are fine. I personally like houndstooth shirts as well as striped blue/white oxfords or check patterns as well.

I work in a hospital, not as a banker on wall street, so my dress can be business casual. I get away with wearing half sleeve 'oxford' shirts etc all the time because I look put together and dress them up with my shoe choices. At the same time, I can also wear scrubs at work so it's different than most people. The doctors I work with are usually in a suit or slack/blazer combo and I often wear a blazer to work, even though I don't have to at all.

The point is that you have to figure out what works for you by trying different things. That green shirt would look great with khakis, rust pants, black pants, or even a darker gray. You just have to even it out. If you're wearing that with salmon pants, you'll look ridiculous (which at times I do on purpose). If you're scared to try something and have it not work, you'll never find what works for you.

As for me, I realized that you have to dress according to your skin tone, so what might work for someone who is white might not look as good on someone who is brown or black. I realized this when I started dressing for work when things would just look a little off if I was copying what I saw white 'models' wearing in menswear catalogs etc. Sure you can get by doing the super traditional thing. It works and looks great. However, if you're trying to develop your own sense of style, then why not try something else?

YMMV

westhill

Reaction score
But would you wear that bright turquoise green thing above?

Verumund. Honestly speaking. No I absolutely wouldn't , an all over plain "bright turquoise green" is indeed a very tricky wear.
However last week I was on the Tube and a guy got on wearing an expensive looking pair of pea-green suede full brogues with tan leather soles , with an otherwise well co-ordinated dark jacket, shirt, narrow grenadine tie , flannel trousers and horn-rimmed spectacles Now those green brogues are something I would never ever consider either but I found myself strangely fascinated all the way from Marylebone to Piccadilly Circus .... Of course nobody on the Tube speaks or catches the eye of anyone else, but staring at the floor or feet in general is perfectly acceptable. It made me think why is this one guy wearing these shoes when everyone else is wearing uniformly black Oxfords ?

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
These are the black aldo boots I picked up. A little pricey for Aldo shoes at 90, but I think they look good. These ones were made in mexico, not china, as well.

Last edited:

jimanchower

Reaction score
I know sleeve length is a somewhat personal thing, but wanted to ask for some feedback anyway. Are these sleeves a bit too short, or just right? The cuff is buttoned in this picture.

Secondly, and this sounds kind of silly, but what's the proper way to put on a jacket and get the shirt sleeves where they're supposed to be? If the shirt sleeve length and cuff diameter allow, one can pinch the cuff between one's fingers and the meaty part of the hand, pulling the sleeve through. That's just barely possible with the sleeves on this shirt, though. Or is the answer simply to have the cuff be tight enough to not ride too far up the wrist and pull the sleeve out once the jacket is on?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AsleyJaron