• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Barrister

Reaction score
How long does it take a new, leather soled calf shoe to break in? Have a shoe (AE) that is tight and am wondering how long I can expect before it loosens up (or doesn't because I have the wrong size)?
I have three pairs of AEs, in my normal size, on three different lasts, and they're all too tight in the toe box. I have tried several stretching methods, but none has worked. I have heard others voice the same complaint about AE. On its website, AE states that its shoes will not stretch significantly. I can believe it.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How long does it take a new, leather soled calf shoe to break in?  Have a shoe (AE) that is tight and am wondering how long I can expect before it loosens up (or doesn't because I have the wrong size)?

The notion of shoes breaking in, while certainly not complete nonsense, does tend to be a much more modest and subtle thing than most people think.

In general, new shoes should fit properly right from the start. If they are too small for comfort at the start, it's likely that they'll never break in to the point where they become comfortable. Oh, if a shoe is slightly uncomfortable due to it rubbing against part of your foot a little, breaking in may remedy this. But if the shoe is simply too tight, breaking in is unlikely to fix the problem.

Some exceptions exist - particularly with regard to certain types of boots. But they're just that - exceptions to the rule.

As for how long it takes to break in a new pair of shoes, I'd imagine that this varies from shoe to shoe, and from person to person. But my guess would be that after a half dozen wears, you're probably a good 80% of the way toward all the breaking in you're going to get.

However, I would add that if the shoe is slightly too small, it's usually possible to have the shoe stretched a bit. Not a huge amount, but something on the close order of half a size is often within reason.

Aeren

Reaction score
is french front (no placket) has no interlining?i found that most RTW with no placket front has no lining,but my tailor used to made me 1 and it's with fuse lining.
Also,can it be make by non-fuse interlining?

pdxkyle

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend me some new OCBD shirts. Been wearing mostly Jcrew. Any other brands out there that fit like that and are decently price?
Anything besides Uniqlo. I wear a M in Jcrew but in uniqlo i have to wear a L everything fits but its super long. no bueno.

Any other brands i should try? Thanks.

dafnis

Reaction score
I travel quite frequently for work, carrying just a carry-on, and have become skilled at living off it up to 2 wks (only trick is doing laundry once in between!) My second post after the introductory one is quite practical for me - can you recommend some good quality travel gear that I can use to better pack shirts, underwear/socks, etc. etc.?

Last edited:

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can anyone recommend me some new OCBD shirts. Been wearing mostly Jcrew. Any other brands out there that fit like that and are decently price?
Brooks Brothers are the standard. They have an extra slim fit that may work.

Last edited:

CrAz3D

Reaction score

Toes three and four (big toe being #1 and pinky being #5) slightly touch edge of shoe. I'm not used to that. Normal?

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

huh?my tailor made all my shirt placket with interlining...

Someone who knows more about shirt construction can correct me, but my understanding of a French front placket is they just take the shirt fabric, fold it over, and sew the holes.

A "normal" placket may have some interlining in it to give it some stiffness.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

hello all,

I was wondering what everyone's opinions are on unvented sport coats?

I'm in a minority of one on this board. About 20 suits and over 30 jackets, not a single vent among them. I don't like the way vents flap and open, and I like the look of a smooth, uncluttered back on a jacket. They are not in vogue right now but there have been times when this was the only way to go. YMMV.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads