• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Bill Dlwgosh

Reaction score
Quick Question: I just bought a Navy Baumler suit in Toronto for $700. This is the only suit I have in Canada. I realize it's fused but still, any comment on the label that I can find is always positive regarding fabric, construction, and durability (and as I'm a contractor this suit will not be getting worn very often at all). So the question is, is $700 for a Baumler a solid purchase, a terrible mistake, or, most likely, ... no big deal either way?

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm looking for a slightly crazy cardigan (loud colors, stripes ect) I can't find anything. Suggestions?

Look harder. :)

Seriously, how about the one pictured below, from Brooks Bros.? It's currently on sale for half price ($64, instead of $128), if you wear a large. (It's item number Item# MS00259.) Brooks has always carried a few GTH items - pants, jackets, and the occasional sweater.

dapperdoctor

Reaction score
Wallet question - I always jam 2 credit cards into each slot even though they are meant for 1 card per slot. Am I killing my wallet by over-stretching it?

ps - I am not overstretching the cash section unfortunately!
smile.gif

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

well you have a few options since this isn't (or rather shouldn't be) formal. To begin, a white shirt with a blue suit always looks classic. Additionally, consider the opposite, more rakish black shirt. After that really the sky is the limit, a lighter blue for a color blocked look. Any complimentary tone, such as a brown (careful could look embarrassingly 70s). Corresponding tie combos in order of preference, white with red, then lighter shade of blue, then repp. Black none, pop open a button or two and go out like a badass. I could go on but the real answer is to not wear a tie unless you must. A blue shawl collar suit is a party piece and not really office appropriate and should be treated accordingly: casually.

Do not wear a black shirt

AmericanGent

Reaction score
Wallet question - I always jam 2 credit cards into each slot even though they are meant for 1 card per slot. Am I killing my wallet by over-stretching it?

ps - I am not overstretching the cash section unfortunately!
smile.gif

Maybe not killing it, but possibly causing the slots to become irreversibly larger.

Last edited:

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wallet question - I always jam 2 credit cards into each slot even though they are meant for 1 card per slot.  Am I killing my wallet by over-stretching it?

No. A credit card is roughly 30 thousandths of an inch thick (0.030"). That's comfortably under a millimeter, in metric speak. Around (I'm doing the math in my head here, which is truly dangerous...) 0.85 millimeters.

Wallets are not designed and built to such tight tolerances, nor constructed of such unforgiving materials, that making a slot accommodate an additional 850 microns of card thickness will ruin it. Particularly as most quality wallets are made largely of supple leather, which is inherently a bit... "stretchy" (probably not the precise material science term), and not as dimensionally stable as the platinum/iridium bar by which the meter used to be defined.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Why do you need so many credit cards? Why not try slimming down your wallet which will also slim down the bulge in your pocket?

Driving Licence, ATM card, insurance card, AAA card .... That's all I need to carry on a daily basis.

kushburner

Reaction score
Can a tailor increase the waist size of my trousers by 1 inch without making it look altered? I need my size 30 pants to be increased to 31

Last edited:

AmericanGent

Reaction score
Can a tailor increase the waist size of my trousers by 1 inch without making it look altered? I need my size 30 pants to be increased to 31

Provided the pant have enough fabric available to let out. I don't know about whether they will look altered though. That's a tough one. It may be dependent on the available fabric in the pants and the skill of the tailor.

dapperdoctor

Reaction score
Why do you need so many credit cards? Why not try slimming down your wallet which will also slim down the bulge in your pocket?

Driving Licence, ATM card, insurance card, AAA card .... That's all I need to carry on a daily basis
I have too much baggage I guess....

JBMarce21

Reaction score

Commando3200

Reaction score
I need a suit for professional purposes. I'm looking for a modern fitting suit, for a slim person with an athletic build. What colour and brand would you recommend, and where would I get it in Toronto? Price needs to be below $1000.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics