• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

red81

Reaction score
The shirt would be fine. Great, actually- looks like a pretty fine cotton. Will you melt with a suit on? Depends on the suit and your tolerance for heat. There's always linen and seersucker.

thank you. i already have a suit, i think i'll be ok, i'm just getting the shirt sight unseen. just wanted to make sure it wasn't one of those super thick shirts, as they don't have it in stock by my house.

whan

Reaction score
Two quick questions regarding a PRL navy unstructured linen blazer I just bought.

- Can I wear this year round, given winter daytime temps generally are above 50 here in norcal?
- How much is a tailor able to alter on an unstructured jacket?

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Two quick questions regarding a PRL navy unstructured linen blazer I just bought.

- Can I wear this year round, given winter daytime temps generally are above 50 here in norcal?
- How much is a tailor able to alter on an unstructured jacket?

Yes.
Same as any other jacket.

cloozoe

Reaction score
When I see a label such as this in an alleged sport coat:

Does the 7 indicate the drop thus in turn indicating an orphaned suit coat? If not, what does it mean?

Thanks.

Lear

Reaction score
Who makes a top-tier silk scarf, dark navy with white polka-dot? Don't want one of those reversible silk/cashmere things.

I'm in the UK (London) innit.

Cheers

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sam Hober? I know their stuff is top notch and they do make silk scarves. Not sure if they have that pattern, but definitely worth looking into.

Midwest Guy

Reaction score
I need advice on what to wear with Kkakis from American Eagle or Dockers. I want to wear a dress shirt with a tie and maybe a dark charcoal or dark maroon quarter zip, but what color of dress shirt and tie goes with those. Does anyone know if there is a website that I can find pictures of different combos?? I would like to see some pictures but can't find any.

Thanks for all your help in advance!

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do not wear a tie without a jacket.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I need advice on what to wear with Kkakis from American Eagle or Dockers. I want to wear a dress shirt with a tie and maybe a dark charcoal or dark maroon quarter zip, but what color of dress shirt and tie goes with those. Does anyone know if there is a website that I can find pictures of different combos?? I would like to see some pictures but can't find any.

I can't think of a dress shirt and tie combo that will look decent when paired with AE or Dockers khakis. Those are for very casual outfits and would only be appropriate with sport shirts or t-shirts.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Don't wear a tie without a jacket, you'll look like a waiter at best, a child at worst.

Try a solid (light) blue, solid white, or blue and white striped oxford cloth button down. Try Brooks Brothers for the classic, or Lands End for something cheaper. Just make sure to buy something that fits. And no non-iron junk.

You won't get much love for those chinos around here, but paired with a button down, a sweater, and some nice shoes, assuming everything fits, youll be better dressed than most people, so cheers to that.

Last edited:

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Aren't Brooks shirts non-iron? Also what is wrong with non-iron?

Brooks sells both non-iron and regular. The non-iron ones look and feel weird. I bought one once, and will never make that mistake again. It's just unnatural looking, especially in an OCBD where a bit of wrinkle is part of the charm. It's not as big of a deal in a true dress shirt, but even then, I just find it looks unnatural... Shirts wrinkle. I've also found that non-iron or not, they still need a bit of ironing, so the benefit is very minor.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads