• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Left Hand

Reaction score
Habitat- it's really hard to tell from that picture. I'm no expert but the shoulders look to be a little big.
You might have better luck in the 'ask a tailor' thread.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm not sure about the length of the coat.

The length appears to be okay. Current fashion trends call for what I consider to be overly short (sometimes ridiculously short) jacket lengths, and that's certainly not what you've got going for you with this blazer. But by most traditional standards (and if you're buying a Brooks Brothers blazer, even one with a moderately trim cut and narrow lapels, I suspect you may just have some degree of respect for traditional clothing standards) its length is perfectly fine. Absolutely no need to shorten it.

As something of an aside, I note that your pictures are both taken from the front. As are most "Is this jacket the right length?" pictures. But do bear in mind that one of the key determinative factors in assessing proper length is the extent to which a jacket covers your butt. This is generally a far more meaningful standard than any rule-of-thumb guideline about a jacket coming down to some point on the wearer's thumb, or his hand, or whatnot. Would that more "Is this jacket the right length?" pictures were taken from the side and rear. But I get that this isn't the norm, so relatively few people are likely to start doing it this way. (Adopting a natural posture in "Does it fit?/Is it too long?" pictures would also be a huge help. But, again, most people adopt an unnaturally stiff and upright posture in such pictures, and I don't see that fundamentally changing anytime soon.)
--
Michael

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
re: Lands' End Hyde Park Oxfords

do people have the experience that they shrink in the wash?

I have a few such shirts, and find that they do shrink very slightly. Certainly not enough to be an issue for me.

However, I bought the shirts a few years ago, and I don't know whether they're the same as today's Lands' End Hyde Park shirts. For example, mine are "must iron," whereas for all I know, current versions of the shirts may be non-iron. Mine are also marked "Made in Hong Kong," which I suspect current ones are not.

Anyway, I'd regard getting them dry cleaned as unnecessary at best, mildly harmful at worst.
--
Michael

Coronaeus

Reaction score
A couple questions:

I've just accepted a job that will require I wear suits much more often. I have a couple Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald suits (Navy and Charcoal) and want to add at least three more to the rotation. Can someone recommend suits in a similar cut to the Fitzgerald that i might look for? I may end up just getting some more of these, but would like to look around a little at other options too. I'm looking at $1500 or less retail. I particularly like the way the shoulders look on the Fitzgerald when I'm wearing it.

Also, i am looking to replace my 25 year old LL Bean Malcolm tartan flannel shirt. They are not offering this pattern at the moment. Is there another maker that offers a similar pattern in a flannel shirt that i should try out?

Last edited:

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A couple questions:

I've just accepted a job that will require I wear suits much more often.  I have a couple Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald suits (Navy and Charcoal) and want to add at least three more to the rotation.  Can someone recommend suits in a similar cut to the Fitzgerald that i might look for?  I may end up just getting some more of these, but would like to look around a little at other options too. I'm looking at $1500 or less retail.  I particularly like the way the shoulders look on the Fitzgerald when I'm wearing it.

Also, i am looking to replace my 25 year old LL Bean Malcolm tartan flannel shirt.  They are not offering this pattern at the moment.  Is there another maker that offers a similar pattern in a flannel shirt that i should try out?

If you really like the Fitz, wait for the BB day after Christmas sale. Likely to be their best price of the year.

Left Hand

Reaction score
Can I get away with Chucks with a button-down? Not ideal but I don't have anything else that even remotely fits

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The length appears to be okay. Current fashion trends call for what I consider to be overly short (sometimes ridiculously short) jacket lengths, and that's certainly not what you've got going for you with this blazer. But by most traditional standards (and if you're buying a Brooks Brothers blazer, even one with a moderately trim cut and narrow lapels, I suspect you may just have some degree of respect for traditional clothing standards) its length is perfectly fine. Absolutely no need to shorten it.
As something of an aside, I note that your pictures are both taken from the front. As are most "Is this jacket the right length?" pictures. But do bear in mind that one of the key determinative factors in assessing proper length is the extent to which a jacket covers your butt. This is generally a far more meaningful standard than any rule-of-thumb guideline about a jacket coming down to some point on the wearer's thumb, or his hand, or whatnot. Would that more "Is this jacket the right length?" pictures were taken from the side and rear. But I get that this isn't the norm, so relatively few people are likely to start doing it this way. (Adopting a natural posture in "Does it fit?/Is it too long?" pictures would also be a huge help. But, again, most people adopt an unnaturally stiff and upright posture in such pictures, and I don't see that fundamentally changing anytime soon.)
--
Michael

I concur. The length looks fine from what I can tell. Your shirt sleeves look a tad too long though. I usually don't have that much cuff showing.

deadAngle

Reaction score
Ran across this picture online while researching linen jackets earlier and thought I'd ask your opinions on it.

It appears to be a sportcoat with short sleeves, probably for tropical climates. If the fabric was good and the length was post-posterior, would it ever be acceptable for someone to wear something like this? With a collared short-sleeve shirt, mind.

Last edited:

Chase H

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm not the most sartorially savvy on this forum, but there are two issues I have with that.

It won't both cover your ass and fit in the shoulders/chest.
The jacket itself makes me want to cry.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads