• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

OlenWeaver

Reaction score
Can I get some votes for left, right or neither?

Edit: I'll be wearing them with tan, gray and olive pants mostly, if that changes anyone's vote.

Last edited:

Dark Knot

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Are you wearing that suit with it as well? I'd just wear a navy or navy grenadine with it.
I think a maroon or burgundy would look really good with that combination. They're essentially darker shades of pink and so it would add a feel of 'monochratic' to the whole outfit. Would look really good. When you are having trouble matching colors - use this color wheel below - it always helps. Designers have been using the color wheel forever. Use colors that are directly across from the color that you want to match with, colors in the same slie of the pie or colors that form an equilateral triangle with the color that you want to match with.

This helps balance warm and cooler colors, or balances colors within the same spectrum, adding a tint or shade to a color to mix and match.

colorwheel.jpg

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think a maroon or burgundy would look really good with that combination. They're essentially darker shades of pink and so it would add a feel of 'monochratic' to the whole outfit. Would look really good. When you are having trouble matching colors - use this color wheel below - it always helps. Designers have been using the color wheel forever. Use colors that are directly across from the color that you want to match with, colors in the same slie of the pie or colors that form an equilateral triangle with the color that you want to match with.

This helps balance warm and cooler colors, or balances colors within the same spectrum, adding a tint or shade to a color to mix and match.

colorwheel.jpg

Assuming the colour you want to match with is red, is the following correct?

Use colors that are directly across from the color that you want to match with: green, mint, olive
colors in the same slice of the pie: pink, maroon
colors that form an equilateral triangle with the color that you want to match with: yellow, blue

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think a maroon or burgundy would look really good with that combination.  They're essentially darker shades of pink and so it would add a feel of 'monochratic' to the whole outfit.  Would look really good.  When you are having trouble matching colors - use this color wheel below - it always helps.  Designers have been using the color wheel forever.  Use colors that are directly across from the color that you want to match with, colors in the same slie of the pie or colors that form an equilateral triangle with the color that you want to match with.

colorwheel.jpg

I like this extended color wheel. Helps morons like me.

Craiger

Reaction score
Can someone recommend the best brand of wool dress coat for about $400, to wear to work with a suit and possibly on the weekends with more casual clothes, such as jeans? I'm thinking a solid navy color works best. I'm 5' 11" 200 lbs. I wear 44R in suits.

I'm thinking about this Brooks coat when it goes on sale. Would that be a good deal for $560?

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Wool-...var_ML00027_Color=NAVY&contentpos=3&cgid=0222

Last edited:

jbernard

Reaction score
Hi, I had this shirt made for a specific event, I'm sort of regretting it now; I like the shirt but I don't think I can wear a tie with it, which is essential for said event. I'd like to wear it as I spent a decent amount of money on it. Any ideas for ties?

You can wear a tie with that shirt no problem. the problem is the plaid shirt, WITH the plaid suit. If you have a solid suit I would go with that and it will make picking out a tie easier. A solid wine or a grenadine. Even a blue would work.

jbernard

Reaction score
Can someone recommend the best brand of wool dress coat for about $400, to wear to work with a suit and possibly on the weekends with more casual clothes, such as jeans? I'm thinking a solid navy color works best. I'm 5' 11" 200 lbs. I wear 44R in suits.
I'm thinking about this Brooks coat when it goes on sale. Would that be a good deal for $560?
http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Wool-...var_ML00027_Color=NAVY&contentpos=3&cgid=0222

It may be a good deal. I never buy an overcoat without trying it on. Companies will charge a lot of money for a very nice coat on the outside, and an uncomfortable interior. I bought an overcoat for around that money once and returned it after the first time wearing it with a short sleeve shirt. I would go to a brooks brothers, maybe a j. crew or something. I would look online for overcoats in your price range and then go to the stores.

Navy is a good choice to go with anything, I actually think grey goes better with anything.

Last edited:

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It may be a good deal. I never buy an overcoat without trying it on. Companies will charge a lot of money for a very nice coat on the outside, and an uncomfortable interior. I bought an overcoat for around that money once and returned it after the first time wearing it with a short sleeve shirt. I would go to a brooks brothers, maybe a j. crew or something. I would look online for overcoats in your price range and then go to the stores.

Navy is a good choice to go with anything, I actually think grey goes better with anything.

Why would you wear an overcoat with a short sleeve shirt :eh:

jbernard

Reaction score

Why would you wear an overcoat with a short sleeve shirt :eh:

Why would you put on a sport shirt to go get the mail, or it you have sleeves rolled up and a number of other things. And most importantly it will speak to the quality of the coat. Please think things through before you post.

redtomate

Reaction score
I just got an overcoat from indochino http://www.indochino.com/product/The-Essential-Charcoal-Topcoat. I have two questions about overcoat fit:

1) When putting it on over a suit jacket, I find the sleeves tight enough that the suit jacket sleeves slightly bunch up inside. How snug should the sleeves be?
2) I found the armholes to be fairly low. If I request a remake for higher armholes, will it be impossible to wear this overcoat over a suit jacket with low armholes? I have some older jackets which (unfortunately) have low armholes, and I wouldn't want to be unable to wear them at all with this jacket.

Thanks

Dragne

Reaction score
thank you very much for the insight. When i said small i meant a slim fitting shirt, not a size small. I typically wear a 16-33. I also just remembered black friday is coming up so that sounds like the perfect time for me to try to find some stuff from BB. Do they typically do a decent discount on black friday? I'm from canada so I have no real notion as to the savings. :/

again thank you very much!

yywwyy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just got an overcoat from indochino http://www.indochino.com/product/The-Essential-Charcoal-Topcoat.  I have two questions about overcoat fit:

1) When putting it on over a suit jacket, I find the sleeves tight enough that the suit jacket sleeves slightly bunch up inside.  How snug should the sleeves be?
2) I found the armholes to be fairly low.  If I request a remake for higher armholes, will it be impossible to wear this overcoat over a suit jacket with low armholes?  I have some older jackets which (unfortunately) have low armholes, and I wouldn't want to be unable to wear them at all with this jacket.

Thanks

As you expect, if the overcoat has higher armholes than the suit jacket, they will not lay nicely on your figure. Wouldn't recommend. Sleeves should be just snug enough to fit your suit or a thick sweater, and some bunching may be inevitable.

jbernard

Reaction score
I just got an overcoat from indochino http://www.indochino.com/product/The-Essential-Charcoal-Topcoat. I have two questions about overcoat fit:

1) When putting it on over a suit jacket, I find the sleeves tight enough that the suit jacket sleeves slightly bunch up inside. How snug should the sleeves be?
2) I found the armholes to be fairly low. If I request a remake for higher armholes, will it be impossible to wear this overcoat over a suit jacket with low armholes? I have some older jackets which (unfortunately) have low armholes, and I wouldn't want to be unable to wear them at all with this jacket.

Thanks

The sleeves shouldn't bunch up in the overcoat. Either the overcoat sleeves are too slim, or the suit jacket sleeves are too big. An overcoat (made to go over a suit jacket) is not going to have very high arm holes. You should still have movement and shouldn't be as low as a 80s-90s suit. But should be low enough to fit a suit in it.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bsgtfo1984