• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm getting a navy blazer and I'm really confused what buttons to go with. FWIW I'm 24 and this will be my first blazer. I also work at a very casual workplace and will be also wearing it to parties and dinner outside.

Septimus

Reaction score
I'm getting a navy blazer and I'm really confused what buttons to go with. FWIW I'm 24 and this will be my first blazer. I also work at a very casual workplace and will be also wearing it to parties and dinner outside.
Gold-colored brass buttons are the most traditional. But, they can look kind of country-clubby. Otherwise, black/dark-gray or brown are both acceptable.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Go with brown horn buttons.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you don't like the traditional gold-colored brass buttons, but you still want metal "blazer-type" buttons, grey or silver-colored buttons are not uncommon. I believe Anderson-Little even offers them as an option on its blazers, for a $10 upcharge.

I think a navy blazer with non-blazer type buttons becomes essentially a navy sport coat. Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course.

I've also read of men choosing between the gold buttons and silver ones, on the basis of what their jewelry tends to be. Like, if his wedding band is yellow gold and his wristwatch yellow gold, he'll go for the gold buttons. If it's a platinum ring and stainless steel watch, he gets silver buttons. That strikes me as a bit excessive, albeit not quite as anal about matching as men who care about whether the briefcase matches the shoes.

If it's your first navy blazer, why not go the traditional route and stick with the gold-colored brass buttons?

Me? These days I mostly wear a yellow button blazer. I used to regularly wear a grey (pewter) button blazer. No enamel-buttoned blazer in my closet yet, but I suspect I'll pick up a set of those buttons one of these days. What the heck, mint condition Brooks Bros. blazers sell for pennies on the dollar on eBay, so no reason to limit myself to just one, right?
--
Michael

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Anti-black magic bump.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I took these pants to a local alterations guy for repair. There is about a 1 inch long rip in them. Visible on the knee but didn't seem to go through the fabric:

The alterations guy said they would need to weave threads from the pocket into the fabric and quoted me $120 for the whole process. Is this the only way to repair a fabric tear like this, and is $120 a good rate (I have a feeling I am being overcharged). I'm in NYC, is there anyone who can get the repair done cheaper who you'd recommend?

French American in NYC is highly recommended by several on here for reweaving. I would see what they would charge/recommend.

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

potemkin_city_limits

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was there a time when it was common for a blazer to have no chest pocket or is that just something low end stores did to cut costs? I have recently come across an older club Monaco and a Gap blazer with no chest pocket. They both fit me very well and it doesn't bother me that much I just thought it was odd that they wouldn't even put a fake one on.

Last edited:

dg1980

Reaction score
hi there, looking for someone with fabric expertise.

I am looking for approximate price per yard that would be appropriate to pay for cotton shirting...

thomas mason/albini
canclini
alumo

and for wool

loro piana
scabal
zegna

i know it depends on a number of things... just looking for approximate price for each.

thanks for your help

dg1980

Last edited:

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay will go with brown buttons for the 'blazer'.

Another question: How versatile is a grey winter car coat? I can see it working with brown trousers but how about grey (would be all grey) and navy (darker trousers than coat)?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads