• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How did I do with these two looks? As for the feet area of the suit . . . I don't have proper wingtips yet, and I'll probably do something with the hem soon. 

http://imgur.com/a/XKZHI

I like the enthusiasm, however:

• Jacket is too long, if the length goes past your thumb, its too long
  • Those shoes are all wrong, get some oxfords, or saddles in a two tone, or white bucks. But the mocassins/slippers just don't look right
  • Tie is too long, easily fixed

Just my .02, but some better pictures would help. Don't let anyone tell you to get rid of the pants

For second pics:

• Your suit's button stance is very low
  • Lose the mocassins, possibly cuff the pants
  • Tie is a bit too long again, try to get that sweet sweet dimple in the knot
  • Shoulders look a tad big on you

Last edited:

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the enthusiasm, however:
  • Jacket is too long, if the length goes past your thumb, its too long
  • Those shoes are all wrong, get some oxfords, or saddles in a two tone, or white bucks. But the mocassins/slippers just don't look right
  • Tie is too long, easily fixed
Just my .02, but some better pictures would help. Don't let anyone tell you to get rid of the pants
For second pics:
  • Your suit's button stance is very low
  • Lose the mocassins, possibly cuff the pants
  • Tie is a bit too long again, try to get that sweet sweet dimple in the knot
  • Shoulders look a tad big on you

I agree with this. The first thing that stood out to me was the shoes though. They look a little like bedroom slippers.

joonian

Reaction score

Tried on a pair of John Lobb's Newbury today. LOVED them to pieces. Couldn't believe the quality and feel.
That said, I sized down to an 8 (usually do 8.5) and still felt my heel slide the tiniest bit (not fully, but maybe a couple millimeters when I walked). Everywhere else felt right.
Is that a bad sign? I didn't purchase them, have them on hold, but I wonder if the heel should move not at all or a couple mms is okay?
A half size down more became uncomfortable.
I was wearing dress socks on a summer day.

Half size down, but go for one size wider. Do not get the shoe if the heel slips... especially since they are pricey Lobbs!

grahamalama

Reaction score
I agree with this. The first thing that stood out to me was the shoes though. They look a little like bedroom slippers.
Which shoes? Shoes in the first picture are Top-Siders. It wouldn't be uncommon to see a few people in fraternities at my school wearing something similar. As for the suit, I know something a little less casual is in order. Those are just desert boots.

aglass

Reaction score
How did I do with these two looks? As for the feet area of the suit . . . I don't have proper wingtips yet, and I'll probably do something with the hem soon.

http://imgur.com/a/XKZHI

Good effort. To add on to the above, I would go for a solid tie in the second look - the herringbone jacket, patterned shirt, and tie don't necessarily go. Maybe go to a solid navy tie, or if you want a more casual look with it a navy knit. Shoulders are, as noted, a bit wide on the second one but the pattern is quite nice and the rest of the fit is decent (minus the pants length). Love the shirt on the second outfit. Keep on keepin' on, if you are still in college you are way ahead of the curve.

aglass

Reaction score
Which shoes? Shoes in the first picture are Top-Siders. It wouldn't be uncommon to see a few people in fraternities at my school wearing something similar. As for the suit, I know something a little less casual is in order. Those are just desert boots.

Don't necessarily be afraid to branch out a bit from what the stereotypical people at your school wear. Even just some penny loafers may make that look a lot better!

If everyone dressed like the stereotype, there would be no need for this site!
biggrin.gif

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is not clothing related but I don't want to start a thread just for the question.

What are the small trees/plants people keep in their office called? I think it starts with an H, is there a thread on sf about this?

Thanks

Last edited:

nohit

Reaction score

Hey folks

I've been hunting watches for a while, but being a student and with the exchange rate as it is at the moment, my budget is seriously limited.
Was initially looking at the Skagen super slim, as I am really not fond of bulky watches although I do have decently sized wrists.

After loads of searching this forum and others, it seems that these are really not very durable. I really love the design, suits my style and my personality.

So after some deliberation I have been looking at the Seiko automatics. Far from the lovely slim Skagen, but perhaps a worthy contender? I hunted around on Amazon and found this baby on special.

Still a pretty fine looking time piece (bar the date, which seems hamfisted), but looking at the strap, I am guessing that I'd not be able to swap around much, if at all? Hopefully I am wrong.

Perhaps not a direct question, but can anyone share any opinions, knowledge or recommendations here? Once again, my budget is tight, and I'd max out at $100.

Thanks for your time :)

Of the two I'd go for the Seiko. I like the balanced design and think it'd be more versatile and maybe a better value. I'm partial, though.. wore only Seikos thru my uni time and loved every single one. I agree the date could be better, or better without.

Go with what you love. Choosing a watch is important that way.

Reaction score
Hi - I'm new here, and I just purchased some AE Strands in Walnut, size 6.5D. I can't find shoe trees anywhere for a shoe this size. Does anyone have a place where I can get shoe trees for my shoes? I'm kind of miffed that AE doesn't make a shoe tree that fits.

Thanks!!

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try these? The smalls fit my 7Ds fine, and I think they could probably go a size smaller. Most of the various shoe repair guys around here carry them.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is not clothing related but I don't want to start a thread just for the question.
What are the small trees/plants people keep in their office called? I think it starts with an H, is there a thread on sf about this?
Thanks

Houseplants?

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With my wool dress pants, the waist is loose enough that it droops down in front (flat stomach) while in the back it is held up by my butt. This results in a pretty sloppy look, especially from the side. However, if I were to get the waist taken in, I believe that it would be too tight while sitting down. Any solution to this? Is the only way to cinch up my belt tighter while standing than sitting?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads