• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My jacket sleeve is about 3 inches too long, the cuff has 4 covered buttons (non-functional) but 4 button holes(still sealed).

I take to my local tailor, I know they don't have buttonhole machine so I said I don't need function buttons and button holes. I want them to cut/open the lining/cuff/placket, fold it and then resemble it, make it look like this just like my other jacket , and sew the button. They said they cannot do it and I need to find someone else do it from sleeve. I thought that's a very simple work. I think it's too risky do it from sleeve. I'm not sure if they are right.

They generally cannot open the sleeve seam to move the cuff up because there isn't enough fabric left along the seam to finish the edge of the cuff. Three inches is a lot of length to take off a cuff, so that alteration is probably best done from the shoulder.

andrewgreg

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

They generally cannot open the sleeve seam to move the cuff up because there isn't enough fabric left along the seam to finish the edge of the cuff. Three inches is a lot of length to take off a cuff, so that alteration is probably best done from the shoulder.
Thanks, I took it to other tailor and they say they can do it. I saw some canali, Armani suits on the rack of her work, it looks well and she can hand sew buttonhole for me. Cross fingers she can do a good job.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a well worn Caruso blazer (or navy sport coat, sine it has dark horn buttons, not metal)

It is made from Loro Piana fabric that is slightly textured, not smooth like a worsted wool.

There are several spot on it that have developed a shine, due to age, it is the most shiny on the elbows.

I was thinking to extend the life of the sport coat I would put some pale gray suede patches on the elbows, and just ignore the rest of the shininess.

My question, suede or leather patches on the elbows of a solid navy sport coat? Yay or nay?

andrewgreg

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Received a suit from mail, the store I bought from did the alteration. But I think the 2 sleeves are not same length. Any ideas?

Sorry for the blur pic.

deionmccoy

Reaction score
Black Clark's desert boots, Aye or Nay?

I was planning on wearing them with darker colored jeans and a collared shirt. Also if I wear a 9, what size should I get? I moved to Georgia, and I'm not sure what common stores would have a pair I could try. Any advice on what I should wear these with? Thanks!

dasai

Reaction score

Received a suit from mail, the store I bought from did the alteration. But I think the 2 sleeves are not same length. Any ideas?
Sorry for the blur pic.
http://www.styleforum.net/image/id/1212892/width/350/height/263
http://www.styleforum.net/image/id/1212893/width/350/height/498

The most important thing is not their length compared to each other, but their length compared to your arms. Do they both come down to the wrist bones on each arm (and no further)? If so, there is no problem.

Liam O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was planning on wearing them with darker colored jeans and a collared shirt. Also if I wear a 9, what size should I get? I moved to Georgia, and I'm not sure what common stores would have a pair I could try. Any advice on what I should wear these with? Thanks!

Buy a nine and wear them with thicker socks. Super comfortable.

As for black, I'm a bit iffy about that, they don't look quite right (to me). I'd recommend the dark Beeswax brown color. added bonus is when those start looking scuffed you just re-wax them.

If you think black suits you better, though, go for it.

andrewgreg

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

The most important thing is not their length compared to each other, but their length compared to your arms. Do they both come down to the wrist bones on each arm (and no further)? If so, there is no problem.
no? Right sleeve is OK, and left sleeve is over the wrist. That is what bother me.

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was planning on wearing them with darker colored jeans and a collared shirt.

I'm a fan, but unless you're wearing them with black jeans, I'd go with brown instead. The darker browns (like the beeswax version) will look nice with even very deep indigo / steel washes.

Also if I wear a 9, what size should I get? I moved to Georgia, and I'm not sure what common stores would have a pair I could try. Any advice on what I should wear these with? Thanks!

You'll want to size down a full size for these; they famously run big. I wear a 9 1/2 shoe and an 8 /12 Clarks DB. Particularly since you live in a hot climate where you might want to wear them with loafer socks. Nordstrom carries them, and they also have free shipping / free returns if you don't live near the store.

Besides jeans, you can wear them with pretty much any casual trousers or shorts.

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Awesome bag: http://www.copperriverbags.com/14 Classic Business Bag.html
I'm thinking about getting this for my interviews/job. What do you guys think?

Depends. Are you interviewing to be a forest ranger in the national park service? Motorcycle repairman? Tattoo artist?

The description uses words like "classy" and "sophistication". Don't believe it. It's a neat, rugged-looking bag but it is the opposite of those things. I do like how they say it's "a must for every professional" while also stating that it makes a good diaper bag.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads