• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

ichobi

Reaction score
Thx, agreed I think Herring's colour looks a bit dull. I am going to ask them to send me real pictures of both shoes and see how that works out.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am a little confused between two colors. Brown and black. 

Is it a definite no to mix them up?

I mean wouldn't this (http://www.pritchards.co.uk/polos-7/polo-ralph-lauren-brown-shirt-c0004-11326-1445_zoom.jpg) look good with black jeans? Or should I wear dark blue with it.

If wearing brown, we can still wear Black oxfords right?

Black leather jacket on brown polo (Like the above) or a brown shirt would look bad or good?

And lastly, Is it a no to wear black waist length jacket and black jeans with a blue or white colored shirt tucked in?

It's not a definite no, but black and brown takes skill. If you have to ask, the answer is no. The combo you posted probably wouldn't work well at all, wear blue jeans and brown shoes with the brown shirt. The black leather jacket will probably still look fine.

As for the last bit, sure.

Last edited:

ambivalence

Reaction score
How do you wear/match tassel loafers? right now my wardrobe only consist of olive, navy and khaki chinos.. can all these colour match with a burgundy colour loafers? can they be worn casually too with basics tee?Thanks..

Roger Mellie

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm having trouble deciding between these chukka boots. The first one is "Frank Wright - Smith" and looks more casual and has a low heel, which I like as I am tall. The second one Is "Hudson - Viking" and seems less casual to me.

One issue is that I don't know whether the darker colour on the sole of the first boot makes it look too casual to go with chinos or other trousers?

Also, can boots with this slim a profile really be worn with bootcut jeans? I tried them on today and even with my straight leg Hugo Boss jeans they were made to look more like shoes than boots. Even regular jeans almost look baggy when you wear boots like this.

I much prefer the grain of the leather of the first boot compared to the second one, but it might well be the case that the Viking boot has been put together in a sturdier way and will last a lot longer. I don't even know as I'm used to walking boots with big rubber heels.

They both have a weird thing going on at the back. The first boot has a seam right down the back which can be seen on one of the photos in this link. and is the only thing I don't like about them (it seems to say something about the quality - I think). The second boot has a shiny kind of leather patch material on the back of the boot. Some additional views of the Hudson boot can be seen here.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The older stuff I have handled has shoulders that are too padded for my liking. They have some new stuff that is supposedly much softer in the shoulder and cut slimmer.
I quite like the fabric from the Canali stuff I have felt, but the shoulders were a deal breaker.

not sure what is considered old, but mine is just over a year. the shoulders are pretty soft imo.

yamazaki

Reaction score
Hi im new. My question is about jackets/blazers and the "long" vs. "regular" measurements. I want to know what a VERTICAL torso measurement should be to wear "regular" or to wear "long". I am fully aware of the overall height rule, but I think its stupid because it neglects proportion entirely. If I have a short torso but am tall, using that rule it would make my jacket look like a smock. If I have a long torso, but am short, it would also look stupid. So what is the length a TORSO should be (let's assume an even 6' height - right at the border of "regular" and "long", even with the foolish rule), to wear either "long" or "regular", and how should I measure it (what point to what point). Thanks

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi im new. My question is about jackets/blazers and the "long" vs. "regular" measurements. I want to know what a VERTICAL torso measurement should be to wear "regular" or to wear "long". I am fully aware of the overall height rule, but I think its stupid because it neglects proportion entirely. If I have a short torso but am tall, using that rule it would make my jacket look like a smock. If I have a long torso, but am short, it would also look stupid. So what is the length a TORSO should be (let's assume an even 6' height - right at the border of "regular" and "long", even with the foolish rule), to wear either "long" or "regular", and how should I measure it (what point to what point).  Thanks

If you have a long torso you wear high-rise trousers regardless of height. Then you choose the jacket's length to be proportional to your overall height, not your torso.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How do you wear/match tassel loafers? right now my wardrobe only consist of olive, navy and khaki chinos.. can all these colour match with a burgundy colour loafers? can they be worn casually too with basics tee?Thanks..

All those colors work well with burgundy, but I doubt the tasseled loafers can be worn casually, at least not without a certain amount of attitude. I would generally avoid tassels (suede an area where I might make an exception, but my suede loafers are pennys), but if you already have them, wear them with trousers and chinos.

In the future, stick to shoes without dangly things randomly attached.

acedevil

Reaction score
Would a Black leather jacket or any normal black jacket look good with black jeans and black oxfords, if wearing a different colored shirt? Could be Grey or Blue.
Would a leather jacket look good with brown shirt, blue jeans and black oxfords or any black shoes?

And I have been hearing that you should wear clothes that enhance your eyes and your skin tone. I have a mixture of tan-ish, a little wheat-ish and slightly red complexion. http://p.imgci.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/128400/128472.1.jpg Though my hair is jet black and my eyes are actually black with very little brown which is only visible in bright light falling on my eyes and if noticed properly. Can hardly be called dark brown. What colors should suit me? (Would the colors stated above would?)

Last edited:

ambivalence

Reaction score

All those colors work well with burgundy, but I doubt the tasseled loafers can be worn casually, at least not without a certain amount of attitude. I would generally avoid tassels (suede an area where I might make an exception, but my suede loafers are pennys), but if you already have them, wear them with trousers and chinos.
In the future, stick to shoes without dangly things randomly attached.

what trousers colour will you recommend? anyway do you wear those penny loafers or tasseled loafers sockless or?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

what trousers colour will you recommend? anyway do you wear those penny loafers or tasseled loafers sockless or?

Depends on the rest of the outfit and what you feel like. All three are perfectly good colors. I might steer away from khaki, but just because it's so common and associated with work by so many people. I like the world to have variety, though khaki is certainly a great option too.

As for socks, you should only be going sockless in the summer. It's affected at best during the fall and winter, unless it's warm enough you're wearing linen pants and a polo anyway. Say, spending thanksgiving in mexico. Wear socks, and the color of the sock should match the color of the pant. And interesting patterns. Argyle and stripes are classics. No white athletic socks, whatever you do.

RicPac

Reaction score
looking to buy a sportscoat on black friday/Cyber monday, anywhere to look for best deal??? i was thinking maybe J.Crew or Uniqlo, maybe even BR

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't wear SCs often but am looking to purchase one that would be very versatile. I just picked up a pair of charcoal trousers with a subtle check. What would be a good SC to go with this (yet still be very versatile)?

IsteRed

Reaction score

I don't wear SCs often but am looking to purchase one that would be very versatile. I just picked up a pair of charcoal trousers with a subtle check. What would be a good SC to go with this (yet still be very versatile)?

The only right answer to this question is plain navy sc my friend.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads