• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

IsteRed

Reaction score
I'm going to order a herringbone sportcoat and i'm a little on the fence about pockets,how do patch pockets look like on a fabric like this?will it be too heavy?I was thinking about patch pockets w/o flaps,does anyone have a photo of a jacket like that so i can see them in reality?
the fabric looks something like this

Master Milano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the general protocol for shipping a shirt to Austrailia from the US? I want to ship the cheapest way possible but that has no tracking, and I've heard stories of people making false claims that they didn't get a the item...

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What's the general protocol for shipping a shirt to Austrailia from the US? I want to ship the cheapest way possible but that has no tracking, and I've heard stories of people making false claims that they didn't get a the item...

I guess some sellers have been burned and are cautious as a result, but I'm Australian, and personally I wouldn't want to deal with someone who didn't trust me enough (based on my profile, feedback etc.) to send an item regular post. Also as you point out, it's probably too expensive to ship an item any other way.

Don't forget, the vast majority of people are honest.

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I guess some sellers have been burned and are cautious as a result, but I'm Australian, and personally I wouldn't want to deal with someone who didn't trust me enough (based on my profile, feedback etc.) to send an item regular post. Also as you point out, it's probably too expensive to ship an item any other way.

i will always cover my own ass by getting tracking at the very least
especially if you are continents away, there is very little recourse
and besides, there is a chance of the package getting lost or damaged in transit before it ever reaches the buyer

Master Milano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

it did happen to my friend once when he was shipping a pair of diors, so it has made me quite cautious, it is also my first sale...ever :embar: , so it's nice to have some reassurance. Thanks!

Last edited:

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ok, so I have a suit question.
I have to wear a suit to an internship each day and since I mainly hang out on the other side of the forum I had to go out and buy a few. No problem there. However, with the winter months coming up I'll have to wear something heavier than just a suit jacket. The thing is I don't own any coats that really fit over a suit jacket, nor do I want to spend any more money on clothing specifically for this temporary stint. I have a Canada Goose bomber that I generally wear, but like I said, won't work unless I don't have my jacket on due to it being too bulky under there and the jacket getting wrinkled and what not. What options do I have then? Just carry the suit on my arm? Toss it in a bag...gently? My commute is just a 30 minute walk, or 20 minute bus ride when the weather really doesn't suit my short stroll to work.
Thanks in advanced.

Depending on how cold it gets, I'd consider wearing a v-neck sweater under your suit jacket, plus a scarf, instead of a different jacket. Walking should also keep you warm? Otherwise I suppose you could keep your suit jackets at work and switch when you get there (not ideal)...

Makoto Chan

Reaction score

Alden has a DC store:
921 F Street Northwest

Awesommmmmme thanks hpreston!

Going to my first wedding as an adult, it's "Vintage Formal" and will be outside in the mild heat. I'm a broke ass student and most of my clothes are streetwear but this is what I have:
vintage made in usa rayban wayfarers
white J crew dress shirt that has been tailored
black skinny silk tie with a tie bar from Thetiebar.com
charcoal dress pants pleated from H & M tailored
pair of black Allen Edmonds
(I'm not wearing a jacket because its in Florida and no one else will be)
secretly though this is my outfit for most of my business meetings but I have been told it looks good and that I resemble James Dean in it, which is vintage? My only worries is resembling a blues brother with wayfareres and a black tie, but my pants are charcoal and im not wearing a hat so whoever says that is an idiot.
Quick question; my tie is a bit long I think, it lands about where the button of my pants are. Can you have a tie tailored? What is the right length for a tie? I was also just thinking about getting a silk knit tie, or a chambray tie? y/n?
Can this be wedding wear?

Your charcoal pants and white shirt and black Allen Edmonds are perfect. Wear the Raybans if you're standing in the sun, before or after the wedding but not during. Black ties are more appropriate for funerals than weddings, so try something else. A chambray or a silk knit tie would be nice!

Your tie should end in the center of your belt, or right where the button on your pants is. If you were off by a few inches, you wouldn't want to get your tie "tailored" (though it is possible) - you would just tie it a little differently and the blades would be a little uneven, which is not so bad.

A jacket would be appropriate. I find it hard to believe that no one will wear a suit or jacket, but if you say so then it sounds like you have a good outfit for a wedding with a casual crowd.

Last edited:

lesamourai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Depending on how cold it gets, I'd consider wearing a v-neck sweater under your suit jacket, plus a scarf, instead of a different jacket. Walking should also keep you warm? Otherwise I suppose you could keep your suit jackets at work and switch when you get there (not ideal)...

I don't think a v-neck sweater, suit coat and scarf will keep me warm when it's 30 degrees Fahrenheit without windchill though.

Juba

Reaction score
Thanks Doc Holliday and Nicola for the reply.

I guess I shouldn't be too obsessed about chest size and focus more on the overall fit. I will have to try on more 38Ls from different brands before I write them off.

And to summarize your points Gents: chest size generally corresponds to the suit/jacket size except with the slim fit cuts.

Juba

Reaction score

The tape measure shouldn't be so tight it digs into you. Really if you're an odd number with the tape measure tight just round up to the even 38. Not mentioned by Doc is your shoulders matter. Some brands are cut narrow. Some are cut wide. You need to try them on and see how they fit you.
I'd say over the years 2 inches of extra space wouldn't be considered that big. Personally I like my summer jackets that will be worn with nothing but a thin shirt to fit closer then a winter jacket that might be worn with a sweater.
You could try this
http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/2007/05/fit-of-suit.html

That's eliminates 37L from consideration (I don't believe they make that many of them anyway).

That leaves me with 3 options: 38L, 39L and 40L.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And to summarize your points Gents: chest size generally corresponds to the suit/jacket size except with the slim fit cuts.

Even in slim fits it should.

But many people trying to squeeze into slim fit jackets are bigger then the designer intended.

Last year I walked into a shop and the saleman had a shoulder width smaller then my thighs :embar: A jacket that fits him in the chest is going to be very narrow in the shoulders.

Short answer you need to find a brand that is cut for your body.

ichobi

Reaction score
Hey ya, just wanna ask a quick question. Found this nice watch on tumblr and would like to know what brand/model it is. Perhaps watch experts here could shed some light for me. It looks really nice!

tumblr_lro38pbMYN1qdcx8yo1_500.jpg

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Awesommmmmme thanks hpreston!
Your charcoal pants and white shirt and black Allen Edmonds are perfect. Wear the Raybans if you're standing in the sun, before or after the wedding but not during. Black ties are more appropriate for funerals than weddings, so try something else. A chambray or a silk knit tie would be nice!
Your tie should end in the center of your belt, or right where the button on your pants is. If you were off by a few inches, you wouldn't want to get your tie "tailored" (though it is possible) - you would just tie it a little differently and the blades would be a little uneven, which is not so bad.
A jacket would be appropriate. I find it hard to believe that no one will wear a suit or jacket, but if you say so then it sounds like you have a good outfit for a wedding with a casual crowd.

Awesome thanks, I was looking at silk knit ties on Thetiebar.com. They are cheap, what color would be good with charcoal pants, black shoes, white shirt? I have a light complexion but dark eyebrows and a brown pompadour.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads