• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i just bought my first french cuff dress shirt at brooks brothers
it came with the silk knots in the cuffs
i do not own any cuff links yet
is it ok to wear the shirt with those silk knots and not a set of cuff links?
or are they merely acting as a placeholder of some sort?

It's okay to wear them.

greenrebellion

Reaction score
Colored buttons (as in the pic below)...good, bad, or just personal preference. Is it best just to stick to a white MOP button on any shirt that will be utilized in dressier occasions?

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Is this tie too prep/academia? Or can I wear to interviews, what other type of occasions?

TIE-WNM_tall_front.jpg

I like it, but might just fall short of appropriate for interviews.

I'd wear it on weekends, work days out of court, and other such occasions.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's okay to wear them.

Yup, and there's more than one here who prefer them to metal cufflinks.

And Harvey- why wouldn't that tie be appropriate for court? The orange pops, but it's still a striped navy tie. I would put that in the conservative, but not interview category.

Last edited:

TauKappaEpsilon

Reaction score
I just bought a very nice fitted tan colored chino blazer and was wondering how to wear it with dressier jeans? Can anyone shed some light on how to dress up and dress down the jacket? I work at my family's real estate business, which I will be the CEO of in 3 years. The dress is very laid back so a sport coat and jeans with loafers are fine. I was thinking the easiest thing to wear would be the dark denim, white shirt, and navy knit tie with the tan sports coat, but I was looking for some other options, especially how to dress it down when I need to meet contractors and homebuyers at the job site.

All your help is greatly appreciated!

chasemurdock

Reaction score
I just bought a very nice fitted tan colored chino blazer and was wondering how to wear it with dressier jeans? Can anyone shed some light on how to dress up and dress down the jacket? I work at my family's real estate business, which I will be the CEO of in 3 years. The dress is very laid back so a sport coat and jeans with loafers are fine. I was thinking the easiest thing to wear would be the dark denim, white shirt, and navy knit tie with the tan sports coat, but I was looking for some other options, especially how to dress it down when I need to meet contractors and homebuyers at the job site.

All your help is greatly appreciated!

I stick with dark jeans, personally. When I'm wearing jeans and a blazer I usually don't wear a tie. Not saying it doesn't work.. just saying don't limit yourself to a solid shirt and dark tie. Try some plaids, checks, and patterns. And add a colorful pocket square too.

I also like the look of wearing Sperry's with my casual blazers. Not sure what other SFers think about Sperry's w/ blazers?

cmbezln

Reaction score
I have wide/big/***** hips and a not-so-wide torso. My body is just....awkward. People don't generally notice.

What kinds of jeans/pants should I be focusing on buying and where should I be looking at them from?

I like the skinny style of pants, but my legs are kind of big and I dont think it would look good to show the natural form of my leg.

A pant that was tight in the thighs but them widened up at the bottom to make my body look more "straight" would be amazing

Last edited:

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have wide/big/***** hips and a not-so-wide torso. My body is just....awkward. People don't generally notice.

What kinds of jeans/pants should I be focusing on buying and where should I be looking at them from?

I like the skinny style of pants, but my legs are kind of big and I dont think it would look good to show the natural form of my leg.

A pant that was tight in the thighs but them widened up at the bottom to make my body look more "straight" would be amazing
Try this thread for jeans questions: http://www.styleforum.net/forum/thread/91068/denim-101-for-men-s-clothing/0_30

cardguy

Reaction score

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

Bought a couple J. Crew 95% cotton/5% cashmere V-neck sweaters (these: http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/sweaters/cottoncashmere/PRDOVR~29235/29235.jsp). They fit good in the shoulders but slightly baggy in the body. Will they shrink after washing and laying flat to dry, or will the fact that these should never enter a dryer preclude them from ever becoming smaller and fitting better?

Thanks!

I dated a girl who worked at J Crew for a few months and in that time accumulated pretty much every color in the rainbow of these guys. I also had the exact same problem as you. Fit great in the shoulders and chest but after a few hours of wearing they began to sag and the drape became unflattering. I brought a couple to my tailor and he was able to slim some of them successfully (some not so much), but really all that meant was that I could get a wear or two out before I had to wash again. I even tried drying one straight up in the dryer but all it really did was shrink the waist band and left the sides even more noticeably baggy.

All and all I have come to the conclusion that these guys are made for layering. I generally throw them over a shirt and under a jacket or SC. My advice would be to ask your tailor (if he's good/comfortable with doing sweaters) if he'd take a crack at it. I was willing to be experimental with mine because I was getting them for like $10 a pop.

Last edited:

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

stay away from the skinny leg jeans. they will just emphasize your hips.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So wouldn't something like a 'boot cut' be about right? They are pretty much straight from knee to hem.

I know they are not the 'style' right now - but I think they would be worth trying. Especially if you tried a size that was fairly tight in the hip and thigh.

You definitely are on the right track to avoid the skinny pants/ jeans look with your body type.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads