• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

hbb3rd

Reaction score
I'm looking to find a quality pair of wingtips that I can wear with jeans, chinos, or a suit if needed. I'm not looking to spend AE money, but would like something like the AE McCallister Wingtips. Does anyone have suggestions on a good quality pair of tan/light brown wingtips for $200 or less? Yes I know $200 is tough to find a high quality shoe, but there has to be something that is a good place to start that isn't a glued sole.
Aldo might be a good place to start looking, but their quality can vary. Maybe look into a nice Bostonian shoe? They are well made and not too terribly expensive.

hbb3rd

Reaction score
Aldo might be a good place to start looking, but their quality can vary. Maybe look into a nice Bostonian shoe? They are well made and not too terribly expensive.

hbb3rd

Reaction score
The "drop" of a suit generally refers to the difference between the chest and waist measurements. So, if a US size 40 suit has a 6 inch drop, it will have size 34 trousers.
In Italian Suiting, the drop refers to the jacket waist measurement, different than in the US. The Italian Drop system goes from 0 (portly) to 8 (slim). As the drop number gets higher/ skinnier, the armhole also gets higher/ smaller making for a trimmer sleeve pipe. This is why Italian cut suits give the wearer a trim silhouette, even if you are a larger gentleman. Its built into the cut of the suit, and can actually make them look a lot trimmer than they actually are.

The Italian drop system is a really nice feature, since the waist measurement is completely separate from the chest, you don't have to bump up to the next chest size just because the fit doesnt work in the torso. This happens all the time in standard US boxy cut suits, if the torso is too tight they try to move you up a whole chest size to accomodate, which is why you see all tehse guys walking around with oversized linebacker shoulders on their jackets.

Hope this helps, and doesnt confuse the issue!

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
X-Post from Sales Thread:

Can anyone speak to the quality of Hertling pants? I see a few that I like, but I haven't heard anything about them.

Do they still make for Epaulet and Howard Yount?

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to find a quality pair of wingtips that I can wear with jeans, chinos, or a suit if needed. I'm not looking to spend AE money, but would like something like the AE McCallister Wingtips. Does anyone have suggestions on a good quality pair of tan/light brown wingtips for $200 or less? Yes I know $200 is tough to find a high quality shoe, but there has to be something that is a good place to start that isn't a glued sole.
Check out the Florsheim Kenmore or maybe the Vincent.

styleforumfan

Reaction score
What do you think about this suit for job interview? It's made by Hugo Boss. The fabric is "sharkskin" with some sheen to it. Is this slightly glossy fabric appropriate for an interview suit? Thanks!

Last edited:

RyanByrne

Reaction score

Check out Meermin. Goodyear welted and under $200. I just received a pair last month so can't comment on durability yet, but they seem like a very well-made pair of shoes. They look fantastic too. The cobbler I took them to for waterproofing said they look more like a $500+ pair of shoes. He was surprised when I told him how much I paid. Check out Jack Erwin as well. $200 for Blake construction.

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What do you think about this suit for job interview? It's made by Hugo Boss. The fabric is "sharkskin" with some sheen to it. Is this slightly glossy fabric appropriate for an interview suit? Thanks!
I think there are better options, but this one is solid if you are looking for something that can be a little more fun on the side. If you want to play it super safe, go a little darker And less Glossy. As said above, navy is good as well.

styleforumfan

Reaction score
I think there are better options, but this one is solid if you are looking for something that can be a little more fun on the side. If you want to play it super safe, go a little darker
And less
Glossy. As said above, navy is good as well.

It works. Navy is best, however.

Is black even better than navy or it looks a bit too serious like going to a funeral? I'm in SoCal if that makes a difference. Thanks!

RyanByrne

Reaction score

Is black even better than navy or it looks a bit too serious like going to a funeral?  I'm in SoCal if that makes a difference.  Thanks! 
Navy is best and most versatile, then charcoal or gray, then black, although it is easy to look a bit too formal so one must be careful if choosing a black suit for interview attire. If going with black, I prefer something with a subtle pin stripe; one that is unnoticeable from afar.

rjonea

Reaction score
The real or not game:

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p207/BaMaDuDe87/Thrift/20150320_111231.jpg

Just can't find pictures of a tag set like this one. It had the PL tag that I took a picture of, then the Size (Just tagged L, no number sizes) and material tag was up in the right shoulder area (looking at my pic, it is up to the left), then a washing instruction tag in the bottom of the shirt.

Should have took more pictures, but I didnt.

Last edited:

thefastlife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
are these loake?

also can this stain be "removed"

Last edited:

Penfold

Reaction score
The pockets on this SC are either jetted or flapped but with the flaps tucked into.

https://instagram.com/p/zRc4DtRHAd/?taken-by=geoffwheeler80

It looks as though the ticket pocket is straight but the actual pockets below are (gently) slanted. I've never seen that before - it might look awful, it might look good.

Anyone seen or heard of this being done, and any views on whether it works?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
London Banker