• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

bradp

Reaction score
Praying Mantis?How so? :eek:

By the way, I was only comparing AE vs Alden's Medallion toe. I threw in Carmina for honorable mention :]

So what do you say then?I don't know if my eyes are deceiving me or not. which one(Alden/AE) is more narrow/looks more narrow and longer based on its proportions and other things?
I see it more as a whooping crane :)

GAU11

Reaction score
I am having a hard time getting a good fit in the arms. How many folds should an arm have? I have seen about alterations but was told that it would make the arm hole too tight. Any thoughts besides custom shirts, I want to at least work with what I already have.

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I like Aldens medallion the best but Carmina has the best shape for me. I don't like Carmina's medallion because it looks like a praying mantis.

lol.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
The iGent Rorschach test:

"Oh no...my Eddie Greens look like angry vaginas...I cant un-see it...."

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
are there any less expensive alternatives to the Hanger Project suit hangers? My suits are typically in the $500-700 range and I don't feel like spending more than $10-20 per hanger. Any ideas? My main concern is that I need a narrower hanger to accomdate my narrower shoulder jackets. I don't need high end woods...
Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
are there any less expensive alternatives to the Hanger Project suit hangers? My suits are typically in the $500-700 range and I don't feel like spending more than $10-20 per hanger. Any ideas? My main concern is that I need a narrower hanger. I don't need high end woods...
Thanks in advance!!
If you don't need anything particularly wide, or guaranteed to be made of wool, why not just hit up Bed Bath and Beyond. Or Target. Both have heavy duty composite/wood suit hangers for a good price.

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you don't need anything particularly wide, or guaranteed to be made of wool, why not just hit up Bed Bath and Beyond. Or Target. Both have heavy duty composite/wood suit hangers for a good price
Well I specifically want them to be narrow (size small on kirby allison size chart - 15.5 inches), and I also want them to have a substantial shoulder flare, to allow a proper drape. I don't think the basic retailers carry this size hanger. My question is, is there a Kirby Allison type retailer that has various size hangers, but with cheaper materials, allowing for a more modest price point?

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I specifically want them to be narrow (size small on kirby allison size chart - 15.5 inches), and I also want them to have a substantial shoulder flare, to allow a proper drape. I don't think the basic retailers carry this size hanger. My question is, is there a Kirby Allison type retailer that has various size hangers, but with cheaper materials, allowing for a more modest price point?
Ah, I see. I misunderstood what you meant by small.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well I specifically want them to be narrow (size small on kirby allison size chart - 15.5 inches)

A 15.5" hanger is a pretty common size for women's clothing.

Here's one for $1.59 - http://www.onlyhangers.com/content/contentct.asp?P=31&PID=394

Can't really tell much about the shoulder flare/contour from the picture. Still, as I say, 15.5" isn't terribly uncommon for women's jackets, so I suspect there's something out there which would meet with your approval. You'll just have to do some Google searches. Just off the top of my head, you could begin searching on "15.5 inch suit hanger contour."

Alternatively, offer a high school kid who's getting decent grades in Wood Shop $50 to crank out a few hangers for you. :)

BrooksLauren77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Question of my own.

Thoughts on shoe brands for patent leather oxford shoes.

I don't think I want to spend more than $200 and English made is a preference, but would go for American, Italian, etc.

Would prefer a sleeker last (not as sleek as C&J 348, but sleeker than Allen Edmonds/Alden) and looking to have it in hand before mid march for a black tie wedding.

Sanders&Sanders has one, but I have no idea how the last fits.

http://www.sanders-uk.com/shop/product/strand-7158bwl

Loake also has one, but is Indian made. Claridge last is fairly sleek. I also have no idea how this last fits.

http://www.loake.co.uk/patent.html

Additionally, Meermin has one and I think would be your best bet.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SasuAngy