• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Terpo

Reaction score
I like your thought process, interesting read.

I would suggest, if you want a black shoe, the cap toe oxford the standard all-rounder: http://www.pediwear.co.uk/loake/products/4991.php

As a second shoe I would then get some brown in suede or brogue for casual (daytime) wear. I think the Pimlico in dark-brown suede you posted as your third option is a great choice and works well with almost any combination.

To get some variety, you can then have a look at some (half-)brogues (http://www.loake.co.uk/strand.html) in burgundy or a bit lighter brown than the Pimlico. Or if you prefer full-brogues, maybe you like the Chester (http://www.pediwear.co.uk/loake/products/5623.php) or the Savoy (http://www.pediwear.co.uk/loake/products/4996.php).

Isolation

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

Yes, I think the suede one would be quite good and cover an opposite spectrum of my first shoe. I quite like suede in general too, so I'm already biased for it. I'd really quite like a brown brogue; the savoy one you posted looks good, I actually bookmarked a very similar one already. That said, I think I might leave it for later, either for a custom shoe later on, or just maybe a 4-5th pair. I think having a plainer brown first might be a bit better; in general I'm more keen on keeping textures/patterns simple in my outfits, perhaps because I am new to it, but I do imagine I'll slowly weave things in (it's as said earlier, I'm already mixing in the linen, only a matter of time I get that herringbone tweed). Still I think starting with more solid/plain patterns is a safer bet at first as it's easier to mix outfits. Knowing me, It probably won't take me long to get to my 4th-5th purchase anyway, but I might get myself some proper ties/pocket squares first so I have all the bases covered before I go explore it further.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think brown shoes fill more holes in a wardrobe than black ones. Depending on where you live, brown shoes can also be appropriate for formal occasions if the rest of the outfit is correct.

drumerdud

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Am going to a wedding on January...and as one of the grooms men i am required to wear light grey, white shirt, and sky blue tie.

I then have another wedding the following week, giving me my own personal choice on what to wear.

Please bear in mind, I live in a tropical country, so its hot all year out.

My question is, since I am having my first bespoke suit made for the first wedding (light grey) I might as well use the same one for my other wedding, in which I plan to wear this:

as for my shoes, I am contemplating betweek the
monks, strands, or macallisters

1) which of these would you see most fitting for a semi-formal event (mid afternoon)
2) what color
3) if you had to pick two of these, one of which for everyday use (office) and the other for a little more formal, which one would it be?

4) a little off topic, but what do you think of the shirt and tie i plan to wear?- suit i have no choice but to use that same color, but the shirt and tie, was thinking of using this as well..

or this

Thanks!

Last edited:

thisismyname

Reaction score
Hey guys, need help over here as well. I'm ordering my first 2 AEs on shoebank and would like to hear your opinions on what I should get.

For now, plan is to go with (a) Walnut Clifton and Black Delray or (b) Black Clifton and Brown Delray. I'm open to suggestions, but want to be upfront that I'm not a big fan of the Park Ave.

These will be my only shoes as I'm replacing the only two I own. I'm in my early 30s. Will use both shoes to work with navy blue or taupe Brooks Brothers slim pants (Monday-Thursday), black or dark blue jeans (Thursday/Friday). Don't want to be too formal as most people in the office (big Tech company) are very casual. But I also want to use these shoes with a suit on rare occasions (5-6 times a year).

Thank you.

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

1) which of these would you see most fitting for a semi-formal event (mid afternoon)
2) what color
3) if you had to pick two of these, one of which for everyday use (office) and the other for a little more formal, which one would it be?
4) a little off topic, but what do you think of the shirt and tie i plan to wear?- suit i have no choice but to use that same color, but the shirt and tie, was thinking of using this as well..

1&2: I would without question pick the strand in walnut. It goes amazingly well with medium to light grey.

3. I would pick the strand in walnut and the macneil in merlot/burgundy. The burgundy macneil is not normally offered but was just offered as a webgem (online offering). Hence seconds should be available if you look around a bit. If not, you can call and ask for Allison, who will make you a MTO shoe at no additional charge.

4. I like your first option the best.

Hey guys, need help over here as well. I'm ordering my first 2 AEs on shoebank and would like to hear your opinions on what I should get.

For now, plan is to go with (a) Walnut Clifton and Black Delray or (b) Black Clifton and Brown Delray. I'm open to suggestions, but want to be upfront that I'm not a big fan of the Park Ave.

These will be my only shoes as I'm replacing the only two I own. I'm in my early 30s. Will use both shoes to work with navy blue or taupe Brooks Brothers slim pants (Monday-Thursday), black or dark blue jeans (Thursday/Friday). Don't want to be too formal as most people in the office (big Tech company) are very casual. But I also want to use these shoes with a suit on rare occasions (5-6 times a year).

Thank you.

If I had to stick with your options, I would go with (a) walnut clifton and black delray. My reasoning is the toe cap tends to "pop" more on walnut, while the delray does not have many features going on.
If I was going to pick two shoes to get, I would go with: (c) Strand in walnut and Leeds in black. They both go with everything you listed (just no walnut with black). Admittedly, walnut would not be my primary choice for taupe pants, but it will go just fine. Alternatively, you go for the strand in brown which also looks stellar.

drumerdud

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Am going to a wedding on January...and as one of the grooms men i am required to wear light grey, white shirt, and sky blue tie.

I then have another wedding the following week, giving me my own personal choice on what to wear.

Please bear in mind, I live in a tropical country, so its hot all year out.

My question is, since I am having my first bespoke suit made for the first wedding (light grey) I might as well use the same one for my other wedding, in which I plan to wear this:

as for my shoes, I am contemplating betweek the
monks, strands, or macallisters

2) what color

or this

Thanks!
sorry i meant mcallisters

silkyslim

Reaction score
zie3fLJ.jpg

Bought this jacket during Haberdash sale. Would like to pair it with jeans. Can I get away with the structured shoulders in this way? Fit in general?

E TF

Reaction score

Bought this jacket during Haberdash sale. Would like to pair it with jeans. Can I get away with the structured shoulders in this way? Fit in general?

Could just be your stance but the bowing in the lapels might indicate it's a bit small in the chest.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Black full brogue shortwing bal with a medallion = shoe without a purpose? Already own black cap toe bals and black shell bluchers. For some reason the Cleverleys just look nice to me.

Last edited:

bbob2013

Reaction score
I am in the process of ordering a jacket MTM online (I know.. risky).

My biggest concern are the measurements, mainly the arm length. They want measurements from a good fitting jacket and show examples of how they want the measurements. I asked how much the added from my submitted measurements, and here is the response:

"Slim fit we allow 2 to 2.5 inches of loosening depending on the measurements you give"

So, that being said, would you give exact measurements or subtract about 2'' from actual to allow for "loosening"? For example if the actual sleeve length is 35, would you give them 35 or 33?

I asked for them to clarify, awaiting response. Has anyone dealt with this issue?

Thanks

ovlov

Reaction score
Question the first- whole cut with medallion or quarter brogue captoe with medallion or semi brogue? Is there much difference in degree of formality between these? Are there any you wouldn't for work?

ovlov

Reaction score
Question the second - you Americans are having some kind of enormous sales holiday next week right? Are there any online stores in particular that usually have sales on mid-high end shoes? (Carmina, cleverley, edward green, C&J, etc)

John P

Reaction score
Hello gents. Total noob here. Sacramento, CA.

I dropped off three shirts at the tailor yesterday. The cost was $28 per shirt just to get the sleeves and torso slimmed. Is that price high? It seems high to me, but I don't have anything to compare. Please let me know. Thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads