• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How versatile is a light grey ocbd?

Generally speaking - which means there are always exceptions - a light grey OCBD is likely to be more versatile than a dark grey OCBD, but considerably less versatile than a white or light blue OCBD.

Again, there are always exceptions. So nobody need mention that they look great in light grey OCBD's and find them to be appropriate in a wide variety of situations, but look terrible in light blue ones and have little use for them.

For me, a grey OCBD would tend to be less versatile than a yellow or pink OCBD, albeit more versatile than a green OCBD.

J011yroger

Reaction score
How versatile is a light grey ocbd?
It really..just...no.

Maybe I'm not seeing it, maybe I'm wrong, maybe there is someone out there who can put up a great fit, but a grey OCBD just seems to go against everything an OCBD should be.

I would put order of acquisition as White, Light Blue, Pink, Medium Blue, Yellow, Light Green, Striped (blue or burgundy on white), Tartan.

I think I own two grey shirts, out of 500ish. One is a button down collar, but not an oxford that my dad got me as a monogrammed gift, the other is a Brooks Brothers semi-spread with super fine, close together gray stripes so it looks solid gray from 10 paces. I don't think I have ever worn either.

The problem I think is that anything that would look good with a gray shirt, would look good with gray trousers, and you don't want to match them.

*** Disclaimer *** I am heavily Northeast prep influenced, and OCBDs hold a special place in my heart, so I am heavily biased. I'm not sure many people look good in light gray shirts, I tend to think of kids that work in cell-phone stores who wear black pants, and a gray shirt three sizes too big with their spikey hair and square toed clunky shoes.

J

J011yroger

Reaction score
I am now the proud owner of a beautiful (beautiful to me, even if every woman and half the men I ever meet will call it an eyesore) blackwatch tartan sport coat. It is a fine wool weave, like a blazer not chunky like a field weight one (apologies for lay terms, I really need to learn more about textiles).

Of course I will wear it with jeans, and I think it would look great with a dark charcoal trouser around the holidays but I am really struggling to visualize many shirt/tie/trouser combinations.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

J

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I love polo collars. I tend to wear mine unbuttoned but with a tie when I go to work. I can't be arsed to button them every time.

I took a bit of a risk today with what I wore to work in terms of shirt/tie combo. It's not the best picture, but I'll post one. Unfortunately, I think this shirt's a little small. I picked it up for free at some point from someone who didn't want it so I'll wear it out when I'm going to a dive bar or something so it'll get destroyed that way, or give it to a smaller coworker after I wash it.

Last edited:

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've been wanting to pair this tie for a while now. Shirt is a slightly small pink H&M make. I got it for free so whatever.

Paired with Brown wool pants and AE boots.

Last edited:

sparrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm trying to pick up a cheap tie for a wedding tonight. There is one that looks nice at JC Penny, in their house brand. It's $17. Are their ties ok, I.e. will it keep looking good for a year or two? I don't want to buy it only to find it was $17 wasted for a tie I wore four times.

A tie doesn't degrade it will probably last 10-20 years. Jcp makes some good ties and u can get silk ones from em too. Those are fine
A bb or charbet or zegna tie isn't that much better because of brand.

sparrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have both

Not 100 dollars better
Most people cant tell

Another thing not the poly ties the stafford silk

Last edited:

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cuff or not to cuff?

Cuff them if you want cuffs. Don't cuff them if you don't want cuffs.

Particularly with a trim cut suit with non-pleated pants, it's purely an optional thing. Maybe you like the look of cuffs, or think the weight of cuffs will help the pants hang better. In that case, go with cuffs. Of course, you're apparently in Oslo; I'm in the US and generally speak from an American perspective (and one biased by my age, background, etc.) in such matters. I can't speak to the sartorial standards of Norway.

1.90 tall if it matters.
That's a fraction of an inch over 6' 2 1/2" tall, for the metric-challenged. :)

But no, it doesn't really matter. Unless a man's legs are freakishly short , the "to cuff, or not to cuff" question is largely independent of height considerations. The notion some people have that cuffs will make them look shorter is pretty much untrue. Nor will wearing uncuffed pants make a tall man look taller. It's just not a significant issue. Although admittedly, if one is short-legged, a somewhat modest cuff width (perhaps 1.25 inches) than what a very tall man might wear (perhaps 2 inches), could be in order. But it would be unusual to opt for cuffs of much less than 1.25", and it's uncommon to choose cuffs of much more than 2", so really one is talking about an extremely narrow range, in any case.

Last edited:

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Zickafunk

Reaction score
Does anyone have any information about a popular, American Made, 60s-70s clothing designer called Antonio Guiseppe? I own several articles of clothing designed by him/them, including the suit pictured, and I am hoping to find out some background history on the suit and the company who created it. I've been Googling for days with no luck. Any information you can provide is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
healthyfit