• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've seen a lot of pictures of men in tuxedos with ties? Though tuxedos were bowtie only?

They are properly bow tie only, but some men break this rule. Some through ignorance, some intentionally.

Seeing as how this is SF, I'm pretty sure someone will tell you that "it can look good," same way that if you asked about wearing boat shoes and no socks with a tuxedo, there are those who would undoubtedly opine that it could be a good combination.

But while some rules are made to be broken, at least sometimes, preferably with some degree of care, you're unlikely to catch me experimenting with alternatives to the traditional bow tie, when it comes to donning a tuxedo. Because part of the essence of wearing a tuxedo, at least in the current day and age, is the item's semi-uniform nature. One wears a tuxedo (or is instructed to wear a tuxedo) out of a desire for a certain traditional, expected look. If you want to "mix it up" and try for a new, different slant on black tie, you're running contrary to the very notion of black tie.

Anyway, that's my take on it.

BTW, neither do I like the idea of non-sexist versions of The Lord's Prayer ("Our Parent who lives in heaven..."), the prospect of adding yet another layer of post-season play to the baseball season (Look, if you intend to include most of the teams in what we once called "the playoffs," why not just rename the sport basketball or hockey?), or the possibility of there being a remake of "Casablanca," with the character of Rick now being a communist, lesbian, accordion player, and the story taking place in Grenada during the 1983 invasion.
--
Michael

tubs

Reaction score

Is there an easy way to tell if this is a suit jacket or sportcoat? It's hard to tell by the picture, but the fabric is tweed. Even if it were a suit jacket, would it still be okay to wear as a separate given that it's tweed? It seems like that would be less offensive than wearing a generic charcoal suit jacket on its own.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Trying to figure out what to pair a cream colored linen blazer with other than dark jeans.  Suggested color slacks/shirt? 

Brown, olive, or even light gray.

SlimJohny

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am currently looking for a pair of versatille chinos for summer. I would like to wear it with almost anything - black oxfords, dark brown suede loafers, combined with navy blazer etc. Do you think that these chinos would meet my requirements? I like them a lot, but I am not sure if they are not too light. Thank you! http://www.blazek.cz/panske-kalhoty-city-slim-barva-seda-13564.html

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey guys, I am currently looking for a pair of versatille chinos for summer. I would like to wear it with almost anything - black oxfords, dark brown suede loafers, combined with navy blazer etc. Do you think that these chinos would meet my requirements? I like them a lot, but I am not sure if they are not too light. Thank you! http://www.blazek.cz/panske-kalhoty-city-slim-barva-seda-13564.html

I wouldn't ever wear black shoes with that color. If you want something that works with black shoes as well as brown, you need either an olive or a medium to light gray. Since you're talking summer, go with the light gray.

Last edited:

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is there an easy way to tell if this is a suit jacket or sportcoat?  It's hard to tell by the picture, but the fabric is tweed. Even if it were a suit jacket, would it still be okay to wear as a separate given that it's tweed?  It seems like that would be less offensive than wearing a generic charcoal suit jacket on its own.  

There's no difference per se in a suit jacket or a sportcoat, the difference is in the fabric and occasionally the detailing (buttons, ect). Something made out of a fabric like tweed or a bold flannel is going to work fine as an odd jacket whether it originally had matching trousers or not. Something in a fine worsted charcoal would not.

Last edited:

SlimJohny

Reaction score
I wouldn't ever wear black shoes with that color. If you want something that works with black shoes as well as brown, you need either an olive or a medium to light gray. Since you're talking summer, go with the light gray.
Thanks a lot for the answer. I was just in the store and bought the trousers, since I had a big discount and really liked the material and the fit. The color is in fact grey, but light (it is darker than on the picture). What color of shoes would you suggest? Light brown? Thanks.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks a lot for the answer. I was just in the store and bought the trousers, since I had a big discount and really liked the material and the fit. The color is in fact grey, but light (it is darker than on the picture). What color of shoes would you suggest? Light brown? Thanks.

Ah, I thought it was a light tan. Yeah, black shoes would be fine, as would most browns and burgundies. Really, just about anything.

Essential

Reaction score
So I was reading SF 101 and realized that most people actually use spread collars for use with suits. My face is pretty oval (I'm short though), would this be a bad mix? It's not going to be too bad and it'll have to make do anyways because I'm not planning to buy any more shirts for a few weeks anyways.

Also, does anyone know if there are cheap (~$300-400) MTM linen suit makers? I'm about 5' 5" and 125 pounds (35S suits). A lightweight suit isn't too essential for me so if all else fails, I'll get some BB or RL kids seersucker suits for ~$250. It'll probably fit okay.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeKirk