• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

As stupid as this sounds: Might I be allergic to denim?

mixedmajik

Reaction score
Potentially stupid question inbound:

Is it possible to have an allergy for denim of all things? I have this thing when wearing denim where the back of my left leg is itchy/disturbed by something that feels prickly in my denim on my leg. I threw away a pair of jeans that I thought was "pricking" me because of a loose stitch or thorn inside that I could not locate when I turned them inside out and then...but I've realized in every single pair of jeans i have, at this exact same spot, on my left leg only, there is an itch/disturbance and that thorny feeling is there (even in a pair of jeans i just bought last week). My right leg is fine, but my left leg is just doing this all the time...I don't have this issue in khaki's, which is why I'm asking.

For more info, I had this issue last year as well and an exema looking dark spot formed at the back of my left leg. Went to the doctor, they gave me an ointment and meds, I treated it, and when summer came it died away since I stopped wearing long pants in summer and therefore obviously no jeans...now that it's fall and I'm wearing jeans (or maybe it's something seasonal), the spot is reforming. I have a good amount of money invested in denim so this question is pertinent for me and future purchases. It's bothering me to fathom since how can one be allergic to denim and have any sense of style? -.- The concept of a denim allergy just doesn't make sense either...so I would like some opinions on what this could be. 6/7 different pairs of jeans can't all have loose stitches in the exact same area for the exact same leg so I'm missing something here. Thanks.

Last edited:

RXS09

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably not. However, it is possible that you're body is having a reaction to some of the dye in the jeans, not the denim itself.

SwagIsReal

Reaction score
If you were allergic I think it would be a consistent reaction all over, fortunately it isn't like that.

mixedmajik

Reaction score

Probably not. However, it is possible that you're body is having a reaction to some of the dye in the jeans, not the denim itself.

Hi I think you are right...after all these months i've tested out a few things to see what I can do but can't seem to completely omit jeans (who can?) from my wardrobe since they are so versatlie. It happens with all my 4 pairs of jeans so it likely is a dye thing as you thought. Problem is wearing it is just making the abscesses on the back of my legs larger and more noticeable.

What can I do about this dye reaction? I thought of long johns underneath but I feel very uncomfortable with that (not only the feeling but also especially for when it does start to warm up).

I can't just wear khakis all the time since they aren't as versatile. What can I replace the indigo jeans with? I've not bought new jeans since I noticed this problem. Will admit it still is annoying to have spent what i've spent on buying and tailoring jeans...but I need something else...these blotches on my calves and back of my thigh area are not only unaesthetic, but somewhat painful on top of itchy as well -.-

Thanks again.

Last edited:

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems unlikely that you're allergic to indigo, that all of your brands even use real indigo, or that you're allergic to cotton. Denim is just cotton. Seems more likely to be a sore that's irritated by the jeans stiff, tight fit. I get the same feeling in stiff denim jeans, especially if slim fitting. Fabric softener? Silk patch on the interior of the jeans near the sore spot?

OliverGauffe

Reaction score
Here's a theory: the irritation is coming from the fact that the hairs on the back of your leg are rubbing against the denim and creating irritation, in the way that an ingrown hair might form from a similar situation. As its only happening on one leg, it can't be allergies. The direction that the hair follicles are may be slightly different from the direction of the rest of your leg, and this could cause some irritation;

A way to test this (if you are willing) would be to shave your legs, or at least just the back where the irritation happens, and try wearing jeans.

Another test would be to try a pair of jeans made with organic cotton, but I agree that this is unlikely as a reason.

mixedmajik

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for the response. The OP was from october last year. I guess I should have mentioned that since then the spots are on both legs now

Maybe I'll try the leg shaving thing.

That silk patch is a cool idea too. Makes me wonder if there are jeans that are denim on the outside and the something softer on the interior...intriguing suggestion.

Last edited:

volatile

Reaction score
Yeah... Definitively not allergies if it's only on your knees. Why not wear cotton elasticated knee bandages until the sores clear? That would serve the same purpose as long Johns without the overheating!

Hirsh

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

If this is right you could try natural indigo dyed jeans - an expensive experiment but might solve your problem:)

mixedmajik

Reaction score
Gathering from the responses I will admit I am surprised because I did initially think this was a common occurence for many at one time or another but it actually does appear that this is not even close to being common at all. No pair of jeans i've bought pre-tailoring has ever been above 50 something dollars (read: student) so maybe there is something different in the materials of these cheaper jeans. I'll try and see if there is anything other than cotton or a common thing they all have that seems out of place. Clearly this shouldn't be a problem if no one else has had it. Will report back soon.

Last edited:

Hirsh

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Gathering from the responses I will admit I am surprised because I did initially think this was a common occurence for many at one time or another but it actually does appear that this is not even close to being common at all. No pair of jeans i've bought pre-tailoring has ever been above 50 something dollars (read: student) so maybe there is something different in the materials of these cheaper jeans. I'll try and see if there is anything other than cotton or a common thing they all have that seems out of place. Clearly this shouldn't be a problem if no one else has had it. Will report back soon.

If you're buying cheap jeans there might be polyester or another synthetic that you're reacting to...

Try good quality jeans and see if you get on any better.

Good luck!:D

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Eczema can be triggered by heat and humidity. Jeans tend to trap both more than khakis, so that could be a contributing factor. If that's the case there isn't much you can do about it, unfortunately, except try to keep cool & treat the rash when it recurs. Does the eczema ointment help?

Hirsh

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Eczema can be triggered by heat and humidity. Jeans tend to trap both more than khakis, so that could be a contributing factor. If that's the case there isn't much you can do about it, unfortunately, except try to keep cool & treat the rash when it recurs. Does the eczema ointment help?

I get a rash from the softest merino wool :-(

E45 cream takes away the pain...

Maybe that would calm things down for the moment..

Just wear natural fibres until it heals, then I'd suggest you try a soft denim pair (not heavyweight or slubby) from a higher end brand..

Hope that helps:)

mixedmajik

Reaction score
Eczema can be triggered by heat and humidity. Jeans tend to trap both more than khakis, so that could be a contributing factor. If that's the case there isn't much you can do about it, unfortunately, except try to keep cool & treat the rash when it recurs. Does the eczema ointment help?
Funny you mention this because I just started re-using the Eczema/rash cream the doctor gave to me today since i noticed one of the spots started bleeding a bit (albeit i itched it a little to provoke that). Cream is a year old...not sure if smart to use...but will try it out.

I get a rash from the softest merino wool :-(

E45 cream takes away the pain...

Maybe that would calm things down for the moment..

Just wear natural fibres until it heals, then I'd suggest you try a soft denim pair (not heavyweight or slubby) from a higher end brand..

Hope that helps:)

Definitely will have to find and buy more different fibres/material for pants. Really only have 3 khaki's but it is more like 1 after two of them were ruined by a tailor (cut way too short) last year. Also have 1 light blue pair of pants that have been getting worn overtime because of this. Time to go shopping again soon I guess. Maybe get a darker blue, a grey, a replacement lighter khaki, etc. ...just these kind of non-naturally dark pants fade if put in the washing machine because they're dyed. In addition, they don't go nearly as well with an assortment of clothing like jeans do...unless you have a suggestion for a pant-type to try?

Also...have looked at the ingredients making up the jeans and nothing looks too out of the ordinary (imo...not an expert at all):

Pair 1: 100% cotton

Pair 2: 99% cotton, 1% spandex

Pair 3: 67% cotton, 22% polyester, 11% ravon (yes, these were the cheapest...ironically are also the ones that give me the least amount of pain)

Pair 4: 100% cotton

Will cycle this cream and see what else you all have to say for this chapter in the problem. Thanks for this continued support and sorry that I don't respond immediately. I get sidetracked with life (or lack-there-of) in uni.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads