• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Artisanal Clothing and accessories discussion (MA+, CCP, Layer-0, Paul Harnden, Taichi Murakami, Bor

Abraxis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
is that the green stripe black? end up buying it? ;p haha never thought you'd go ph again after bergfabel :)

eton97

Reaction score

For y'all curious about these kind of things
I dunno how anyone can call Berg a PH rip-off, to me they're completely different jackets

You don't know how what?
Completely different jackets?
You have got to be kidding.....white lining, button placement, stitched notched lapels, placement and design of chest pocket.
I don't have a problem if designers want to copy designers.
But let's at least acknowledge it rather than pretend it doesn't happen.
The only noticeable difference is the ph fits you perfectly and the bergfabel looks like a badly fitting ph that's 1 size too big

Last edited:

Abraxis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mean they give pretty different feels based on the fits in my eyes. But people have differing ranges and sensitivity on "feels"

Imo the people who pay multipliers more for a rolex because of a red minute/hour hands or sun damage doesn't make sense due to the very small cosmetic differences, but there's a whole hobby of nerds who geek out to that **** and pay big bucks for it.

It just doesn't see like it's possible to get people to agree on what level of differentiation is objectively significant when trying to differentiate two casual black blazers ;p

That being said -- comparing the ph and bergfabel isn't entirely fair at this stage imo. That bergfabel will probably look closer as it breaks in and rumples since it looks way less distressed compared to the ph..... and even then it may not be the same. The ph distressing process also involves the lining/shell ratio etc.

Also the ph jacket opening clearly curves away from the waist more exposing more stomach etc. I dunno I could point out another bunch of random small details (peak lapels are pointier on the ph etc).

I'd say a1923 blazer (Back when it had 4-5 buttons) would be a better case for a "completely different jackets" but I think there's personally enough of one in this case because imo fit alone is a pretty big differentiator and they clearly fit pretty differently.

Last edited:

t3hg0suazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone find a picture of the original jacket both are based on? I'd be interested in comparing all 3.

The PH does fit you better NN.

eton97

Reaction score

Imo the people who pay multipliers more for a rolex because of a red minute/hour hands or sun damage doesn't make sense due to the very small cosmetic differences

I disagree. I totally get it. You pay more for a single red Rolex and even more for a double red Rolex, because they are far far rarer than a standard Rolex.
It applies to just about everything in a collectors world. The fewer items there are of something, generally the more valuable they are.

ClambakeSkate

Reaction score
bergfabel is made in Italy, no?

Ph is made in the uk.

Italian fabrics vs British fabrics. Ph has a pile of Japanese interns lined up at the door to churn out the same jacket until the sun burns out. Bergfabel is too small to get the Japanese kids wanting to work there for free so I'm sure they're forced to pay the enormous costs of Italian labor.

But yeah bergfabel is trying to pick up ph's scraps for sure. I don't think they're doing well and people seem to being growing tired of Ph as well so maybe it's moot.

Who knows????

wogbog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
first one looks way better to me. i like how it falls straight rather than having the v at the bottom

Last edited:

Abraxis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I disagree. I totally get it. You pay more for a single red Rolex and even more for a double red Rolex, because they are far far rarer than a standard Rolex.
It applies to just about everything in a collectors world. The fewer items there are of something, generally the more valuable they are.

I get that rarity generally correlates to price, but there are people who rarity doesn't matter e.g. in the rolex context non-rolex geeks other than if you are just trying to sell/buy one yourself for profit reasons.

I myself fall into that boat. So really for me it's just a small cosmetic difference and really I could make the claim they are basically the same watch and people who differentiate are morons, because from my point of view and my system of values that's how it looks.

i feel like there's a similar thing at play here, but if you disagree -- well you know the watch world much better than me so maybe my metaphor/analogy is ****** ;p

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're sized a bit differently, the Berg I can wear comfortably over a button-down or a light sweater, the PH will only go over a t-shirt. I like the shrunken look of the Paul and the short sleeves. The Berg I'm using as outerwear - now I have the awkward moment where I wear my Berg to work, change into the Paul when I get there, and all my coworkers ask me "why did you just change two identical jackets?" They're different, dammit!!!

is that the green stripe black? end up buying it? ;p haha never thought you'd go ph again after bergfabel :)

Loved the fabric - the green stripe is cute and it's hard to find thinner fabrics that are as substantial and interesting as the ones PH does.

Last edited:

fistinyoface

Reaction score
If it was anyone here who picked up the Carpe linen labcoat off yahoo yesterday, then holler at me if it doesn't work or you decide to sell.

psydle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For y'all curious about these kind of things
I dunno how anyone can call Berg a PH rip-off, to me they're completely different jackets taking inspiration from the same source. To my wife, they "both look like a stupid highschool kid's jacket." To the internet...?

jK9l6Px.jpg

She does have a point. Just stay out of trouble if you're running around with Keiji.

Last edited:

Abraxis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got the layer 0 sail cloth hemp American Pants. First piece of layer 0 clothing and very impressed. Fabric, construction, details and fit, pockets are all really impressive.

Think out of the "darker" designers (not including PH) -- layer 0 stuff, taichi, a1923 and ccp have probably put together the nicest pieces of clothing I've run into.

twdawson

Reaction score
yeah? i know they're at least accurate on the m.a+ jackets... e.g. the jute piece always ran crazy small (more like 48), and the heavy jersey/wool is thick double-layered...anyway i think he meant to say 54cm instead of 44cm

but i haven't gone over them all so closely.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads