• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are the larger size watches simply a fad?

Bostonian

Reaction score
I wasn't speaking of your 42mm thin dress watch nor of IWC as a brand.

Perhaps I shouldn't have been so specific w/ regard to a certain mm size.... I should've foreseen see pages of posts coming from guys with 42mm watches taking offense.

Let me be blunt, I'm talking about mega sized Panerai's and the like. I thought the my post was vague enough, yet specific enough... my error.

Bostonian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
nest.gif

Oh, and from a strict business perspective, Rolex seems to be doing just fine...

Agreed and I'm a fan.

Like I said, I don't make the rules, I just observe them.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holstein Bilter
As horrid as it is to see a small wristed person w/a huge watch,
it's also funny to look at someone w/big wrists have a tiny watch on them.

I have a big wrist and some of the smaller watches 32mm or less look rather tiny on my wrist.

It just looks more balanced when I have a round watch above 35mm...
and if it's a squared or rectangular watch to be around 40mm in height to
be proportional to my wrist.

I actually have to agree with this pretty strongly. I am a tall guy, I wouldn't say I am jacked or anything but I am large and occasionally I wear an old dress watch of my dad's that is 38mm or thereabouts and it just looks really odd on me.

Holstein Bilter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CTGuy
I actually have to agree with this pretty strongly. I am a tall guy, I wouldn't say I am jacked or anything but I am large and occasionally I wear an old dress watch of my dad's that is 38mm or thereabouts and it just looks really odd on me.

So do you wear larger watches regulary then?
Which watches fit you? I may need to do the same thing.

Taxler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hitokiri8
Ask anyone that has owned/tried one. Once you wear a PAM, it is hard to go back to the smaller <38mm watches.

Very elegant and works nicely as a dress watch as well IMO.

I've tried it, and it wasn't hard to go back; Not only is it too large in diameter for my liking, but it's far too thick and heavy as well.

KBW

Reaction score
All of my watches are 42mm to 54 but my wrist is a tad over 8&quot; and the 42 looks very small. A lot of the watches that look huge sit high off the wrist. All of my bigger watches have a decently low profile and on my wrist they look fine. I'm looking at a few Panerai right now and am going to trade/sell my Navitimer.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Taxler
I've tried it, and it wasn't hard to go back; Not only is it too large in diameter for my liking, but it's far too thick and heavy as well.

I just bought a 45mm PAM, but my old "smaller" watches will still get plenty of use. I intend to use the PAM with casual clothes - I certainly would never wear it with a suit to the office.

hitokiri8

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
I just bought a 45mm PAM, but my old "smaller" watches will still get plenty of use. I intend to use the PAM with casual clothes - I certainly would never wear it with a suit to the office.

Which PAM did you get? Keep wearing it on a regular basis and you may find yourself feeling funny wearing the smaller watches...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads