• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are Neckties Going To Go The Way Of Bowties?

bertie

Reaction score
images.jpg

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread has largely concentrated on whether and when ties might be worn in the future. I wanted to briefly talk about what I like about ties, why I have worn them, wear them, and will continue to wear them with pleasure. Ties:

-integrate and finish off the outfit and bring attention to and frame the face. The three diagonal, converging lines of the shoulders, (notch) lapel, and the shirt collar, along with the vertical bisecting line of the tie itself, move the eye to the centerline and upward, framing the face.

-add color to what otherwise may be a monochromatic look (dark solid suit, light blue or white shirt). They tend to have richer materials, patterns, colors, and textures than the suit or shirt.

-pick up and accentuate aspects of skin, eye, and hair color, along with colors or patterns in suits or shirts.

-are one of the most self-expressive choices in traditional CM. Different ties can change the mood and emotional temperature of the overall ensemble substantially. The choice of knot, and when and how to loosen it, is a key part of Northern European sprezzatura.

- can be quite comfortable in the climates for which they were designed. The average annual high temperature in London is 60 F, Paris 61, New York 62, and Chicago 59. I prefer a closed shirt collar at those temperatures.

There is one major benefit to ties and that is to protect your shirt from food and wine.

- There is no need to frame the face, we all wear masks anyway and not everyone's handsome.

- If you need a tie to add color to your ensemble then you haven't been shopping for your clothes correctly.

- Wear make up.

- A sign of anti sprezz. Only guys who are trying too hard wear ties.

- Downright the most uncomfortable piece of old western accessory that can't be worn in most of the world in this global warming age. Too cold? button up your jacket.

Why can't they export more useful inventions like the brief?

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
The discussion reminds me a quote by Frank Sinatra, Jr.

Frank, Jr., mused on his lackluster career in the shadow of his his glorious father. Frank, Jr., continued his father's style of music. Frank, Jr., said that music styles and tastes had moved to a different level when he came of age in the 60's. He said that "I was trying to sell antiques in a modern appliance store."

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There is one major benefit to ties and that is to protect your shirt from food and wine.

- There is no need to frame the face, we all wear masks anyway and not everyone's handsome.

- If you need a tie to add color to your ensemble then you haven't been shopping for your clothes correctly.

- Wear make up.

- A sign of anti sprezz. Only guys who are trying too hard wear ties.

- Downright the most uncomfortable piece of old western accessory that can't be worn in most of the world in this global warming age. Too cold? button up your jacket.

Why can't they export more useful inventions like the brief?

If Charlie Watts were alive he'd slap your face!

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think ties will hold steady...

Many men have given them up but those who still wear them often enjoy them and look for a place to wear them.

Not just to the office - church and weddings, etc. also.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think ties will hold steady...

Many men have given them up but those who still wear them often enjoy them and look for a place to wear them.

Not just to the office - church and weddings, etc. also.
Was wondering what your take on things would be.
Hope you are prospering personally and professionally. Good to hear a voice of enthusiasm among the doom and gloom. Long may it continue!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads