• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are Gurkha Trousers a Trend or Here to Stay?

American_Psycho11

Reaction score
The style goes back over a hundred years, but in the past few years they've really gained traction in the menswear world.
Are they a trend that's having a good go at the moment, or are they here to stay as a staple of meanswear, especially now that high waisted trousers are really catching on?

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
Trend. Especially the quadruple pleated denim ones. This isn't to say that they will be unwearable in 10 years, just that they won't seem anywhere nearly as desirable as they seem now. There might also be some stigma in the menswear world attached to them as there currently is with double monks.

Stylewords

Reaction score
The style goes back over a hundred years, but in the past few years they've really gained traction in the menswear world.
Are they a trend that's having a good go at the moment, or are they here to stay as a staple of meanswear, especially now that high waisted trousers are really catching on?
Today's equivalent of Hammer pants.

soto_nw

Reaction score
I really like Ghurka pants myself and have two pair, but I think even now they are more of an "occasional piece to wear." I think they work best as a compliment to a wardrobe and work best in moderately tapered style with less generous double pleats - Rubinacci does them particularly well in my opinion.

So, yes they are "on trend", but will always serve as the complimentary "fun" piece in a wardrobe full of staples.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like them in workwear and casual outfits. Dislike them in tailored CM styled outfits.

Examples. These are great:

tumblr_inline_ptp69vCI2z1qfex1b_540.jpg
tumblr_inline_pksrzu9Q4Y1qfex1b_540.jpg
tumblr_osl79k7J4m1qa2j8co1_1280.jpg
tumblr_n1xyvv9N0h1qa2j8co2_500-480x600.jpg
IMG_2084.jpg
kaptainsunshine-GurkhaTrousers-BlackSlubbySateen-Onbody-5760x3840-02_2000x.jpg

Also in womenswear

il_fullxfull.1866675072_jsrh.jpg

But this sort of tailored "sartorial" thing is .... less great.

the-rake-gurkha-trousers-01.jpg
The-Rake-Rubinacci-Houndstooth-Suit-Exclusive-14.jpg

Last edited:

Calanon

Reaction score
Agree that they're better in more casual outfits. I also prefer them as shorts rather than trousers.

There might also be some stigma in the menswear world attached to them as there currently is with double monks.

I wonder when the stigma towards double monks will be gone. I really like the look of them.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I see them on the web by a variety of makers, I see hits and misses, more misses. When I see RLPL do them, I always like them.

rlplgh.jpg
rlplgh1.jpg
rlplgh2.jpg

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t have a problem with an updated version of it. The RL versions noted above are an example. But the genuine thing is just too baggy. Perhaps it’s better to call them slacks with a Ghurka waistband or Ghurka closure vs. Ghurka pants.

American_Psycho11

Reaction score
I don’t have a problem with an updated version of it. The RL versions noted above are an example. But the genuine thing is just too baggy. Perhaps it’s better to call them slacks with a Ghurka waistband or Ghurka closure vs. Ghurka pants.
That's how I feel. I love the high waist and the buckle closure, but I appreciate the trimmer silhouette of modern designs much more than the traditional full ones

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're just higher-waisted trousers with a buckle closure, in their modern form. The Ralph Lauren ones look good.

But if you really wanted to be on-trend, you should have had them 2 years ago.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think when it's done in that CM sort of way, it just looks like a gimmick that's tacked onto a tailored outfit. Like those big waistbands with two buttons, felt flowers in lapel holes, or red socks with navy suits. Or to the degree it feels attached to anything, it looks very "Instagram sartorial menswear."

Versus when they're part of a casual outfit, it feels more coherent with the rest of the look. It doesn't feel as randomly tacked on.

For example, this feels like someone just tacked Ghruka trousers onto their outfit to look stylish. It feels random.

kC94AmJOnsc1.jpg

Versus imagine this fuller leg, workwear styled Ghurka:

kaptainsunshine-GurkhaTrousers-LightOliveSlubbySateen-Flat-30_2000x.jpg

With this:

1863defb7d2d496ba0ab36bd0997df33.jpg
DivisionRoad_BDD-SDA-IH-DRP_047_1.jpg

il_1588xN.2298981024_rx8j.jpg
blundstone558_2_grande.jpg

Last edited:

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, come to think of it, casual or otherwise, when I think of gurkha done in ways I find most unappealing one name most comes to mind: Luxire. I don't fault them per se. If the guys want them that way....*shrugs*

OldTown

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I think when it's done in that CM sort of way, it just looks like a gimmick that's tacked onto a tailored outfit. Like those big waistbands with two buttons, felt flowers in lapel holes, or red socks with navy suits. Or to the degree it feels attached to anything, it looks very "Instagram sartorial menswear."

Versus when they're part of a casual outfit, it feels more coherent with the rest of the look. It doesn't feel as randomly tacked on.

For example, this feels like someone just tacked Ghruka trousers onto their outfit to look stylish. It feels random.

View attachment 1524968

Versus imagine this fuller leg, workwear styled Ghurka:

View attachment 1524990

With this:

View attachment 1524992 View attachment 1524998

View attachment 1524997 View attachment 1524995
Those boots look like something an old man would wear when he goes fishing.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DJN33