• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

April in Paris vs House of Fleming?

nmoraitis

Reaction score
I am planning on placing an order for a dark brown alligator card holder with either April in Paris or House of Fleming.

http://www.aprilinparis.us/shop/credit_card_case

http://www.houseoffleming.com/catalo...?product_id=28

Any thoughts about the quality of either product? Would anyone recommend one maker over the other? The April card holder is about twice the price of the Fleming one. Alternatively, I was thinking of placing an order with the Hermes boutique. Many thanks in advance for the help.

caelte

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The best belt maker is Bill Julian. He is better than Bea. Bea and Bill are the top. There are no others that compare. Fleming's comes in after that but in a different category. Fleming's uses Hermes skins. They will send samples. It can take awhile to get a belt from Bill or Bea. Fleming's is very fast and cheaper as well. Fleming's belt is the one that most other belt makers have copied. What hasn't been copied are the fabulous skins Bob, the owner of Fleming's, goes to Paris to buy. Their service is wonderful. Belts are their business. This is a link to a slide show showing some of the differences between Julian's and Fleming's belts. I haven't added everything yet. http://www.caelte.com/about-belt-straps-slide-show/

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by caelte
This is a link to a slide show showing some of the differences between Julian's and Fleming's belts.
I haven't added everything yet.

http://www.caelte.com/about-belt-straps-slide-show/

Very interesting, and does a good job showing differences. You mention that one of the belts has leather from an American tanner, and is much softer than the other, which has the finest commercially available alligator. The implication is that the softer alligator from an American tanner is that used by Bill Julian, but in your description of Bill Julian you state that he only uses leather from European tanneries. Am I missing something?

I must admit that the selection of buckles did not contain many to my taste -- I understand you make them to the exact specification of clients?

caelte

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Very interesting, and does a good job showing differences. You mention that one of the belts has leather from an American tanner, and is much softer than the other, which has the finest commercially available alligator. The implication is that the softer alligator from an American tanner is that used by Bill Julian, but in your description of Bill Julian you state that he only uses leather from European tanneries. Am I missing something? I must admit that the selection of buckles did not contain many to my taste -- I understand you make them to the exact specification of clients?
I've been working on the slide show this weekend. It's not done. Bill does this new thing with the belt that conceals the space between the belt layers that hold the keeper in place. The area where the snaps are. Now the snaps are concealed on the top, bottom and the sides. You have to see it. There are some things I need to change and some I need to add. Bill tells me that his alligator is tanned by an American tannery. I don't think this is always the case but probably is true for the matte. This is only one of the reasons that account for it's softer feel. Both Bill and Fleming's use a French tanned backing leather. Bill's smells differently than the Fleming's. It has a much nicer scent. I assume Bea uses a French backing leather as well. I don't make buckles to appeal to everyone. Those are readily available. The ones I do are available in a range of materials and finishes. Any buckle you can find, if the widths match, will fit these types of belts. They all have snaps. Who has the best alligator skins? I have to say Fleming's. Bob Childs has been getting his skins in Paris for years. He gets a great pick. He buys the most amazing material. Hermes recently bought the company he buys from. They had already owned a share but bought the rest. I know Hermes execs came to the Atlanta store and were pleased. I have a dozen or so alligator belts from both Fleming's and Bill. I like both. Flemings will work with you to get that special belt the way you want. Belts is pretty much all Fleming's does. Most of the individuals who buy my buckles land up buying Bill's belts. If you want to knock them out in Dubai, get an eighteen carat buckle on a custom Fleming's belt. If you want the , I don't know how to express it, "feel" of luxury, get Bill's.

nmoraitis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
April in Paris is about 10x nicer, but both are good.

How does AoP compare to Hermes? I most interested in how the edging is done as Hermes does the best edges on wallets I have ever seen.

Originally Posted by LabelKing
Hermes special orders seem a bit dodgy. I tried placing a special order for an agenda, and they never got back to me.

Really? I figured they would have excellent customer service. Did you try to order over the phone or in person?

The best belt maker is Bill Julian. He is better than Bea. Bea and Bill are the top.
There are no others that compare. Fleming's comes in after that but in a different category. Fleming's uses Hermes skins. They will send samples. It can take awhile to get a belt from Bill or Bea. Fleming's is very fast and cheaper as well. Fleming's belt is the one that most other belt makers have copied. What hasn't been copied are the fabulous skins Bob, the owner of Fleming's, goes to Paris to buy. Their service is wonderful. Belts are their business.

This is a link to a slide show showing some of the differences between Julian's and Fleming's belts.
I haven't added everything yet.

http://www.caelte.com/about-belt-straps-slide-show/

Thanks for that. So, I guess it can be said that while Flemings has excellent skins, its finish is just not up to par.

caelte

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nmoraitis
Thanks for that. So, I guess it can be said that while Flemings has excellent skins, its finish is just not up to par.
Fleming's finish is certainly up to par. Bea and Bill's belts are just not the norm and shouldn't be used for comparison. Fleming's is tops when it comes to the rest of the belt manufacturers.

nmoraitis

Reaction score
Fleming's finish is certainly up to par. Bea and Bill's belts are just not the norm and shouldn't be used for comparison.
Fleming's is tops when it comes to the rest of the belt manufacturers.

I see, ok thanks.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Hermes special orders seem a bit dodgy. I tried placing a special order for an agenda, and they never got back to me.
I have a person at Hermes who'll part the seas and open the skies, let me know if you want her number.

Cornellian

Reaction score

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Wouldn't hurt to check with Cleverley and/or Fosters to see how much they charge for a custom credit card case. Not made in-house, but I believe they use local craftsmen.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nmoraitis
Really? I figured they would have excellent customer service. Did you try to order over the phone or in person?

It was in person actually. I find it rather odd though they did say that special orders take an unwholesome amount of time.

Originally Posted by Tomasso
I have a person at Hermes who'll part the seas and open the skies, let me know if you want her number.

Thank you. I'll let you know.

nmoraitis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cornellian
Check out these from SAB:

http://www.swaineadeney.co.uk/catalo...productsPage=2

http://www.swaineadeney.co.uk/catalo...productsPage=1

Just another option. Great construction.

While I have heard great things about their larger leather goods, several members on the forum have heard had the stiching coming undone on their SAB wallets. I have been thinking about getting one in bridle leather.

Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Wouldn't hurt to check with Cleverley and/or Fosters to see how much they charge for a custom credit card case. Not made in-house, but I believe they use local craftsmen.

I have been tempted to order one in Russian Reindeer.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrewSauer