• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone speak more than two languages

bobyoung7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjmaiorano
I am not linguistically gifted like my POS family. I've got English and ok Spanish. Can understand Italian-ish.

My pops on the other hand is fully fluent in 5. Speaks a local Occitanian dialect of Southern Italy that is heavily latin, with some Italian + French influence, yet interestingly can not be understood by anyone but a native speaker. He also speaks Italian (which he learned here in the US), English, Spanish and French.

He is pretty gifted with languages, but I would guess he picks them up well because his native dialect was based in Latin.

Moms is also crazy, Fully fluent in English, Italian, Spanish and Polish (she is native Polish).

Sister then has English, Spanish, and approaches fluency in Italian and Polish. She can also randomly speak backwards without hesitation.

I suck in my Family.

Edit: my pops tells me his native tongue is considered a language, not dialect, as it is not mutually intelligible.

She might need the services of a good priest.

Night Owl

Reaction score
Lots of I speak a little bit of bullshit here

If you listen to radio broadcast in that language do you understand 90%? If not stop saying you speak that language, a few phrases doesn't count

cucurrucucu

Reaction score
I speak Spanish which, having grown up in Buenos Aires, is my first language; Korean, learnt at home; English and French learnt at school, and I'm currently taking Italian, which should be fairly easy for its similarity to Spanish.

adfan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sherlockian
I, too, am somewhat suprised by the number familiar with Hanguk-oh on here. I can blunder my way through a little survival Korean, and can read/write it at a very low level.

Fairly decent (but rusty) with French and Spanish - French is the compulsory second language that all kids in England take in secondary school. I was impressed when I visited my cousins in Australia and learned that they often study Japanese in the same way; I tried learning hiragana but really need formal lessons to keep me motivated.

I was also surprised by the number of people who know Korean. Interesting.

It seems like several people know Korean and Spanish. I had a friend back in law school who was korean but grew up in Latin America. He said there were a lot of Asians in Latin America. It reminded me of my Korean friends who grew up in Germany and France - they spoke both korean and their respective language - but to hear Korean with a German accent (from a Korean) was interesting to say the least

Regards.

G79

Reaction score
English
Hindi
Malayalam
Tamil - begginer/ intermediate
Kannada
Arabic - Read/write - not conversational

whymakemedothis

Reaction score
4 languages:
-native language of birth
-immigrated to usa
-3 years in high school
-3 years in college

id like to learn a new language (arabic, russian, or italian), but it simply isnt practical (time) now that im a working professional.

this winter i might transfer internationally for work for +1 to make 5 languages

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ZackyBoy
I am fluent in English, French, and Italian...written and spoken. By the time I am done university I will be fluent in Arabic.

Not to pick on Zacky specifically, but I'm often a bit wary of people who talk of themselves as being "fluent" in a language, particularly if they have only studied it at school or university.

Of course, languages are different - some are simple (Bahasa Indonesia, for example) and some are hard (Japanese is moderately difficult, Arabic and Russian are apparently difficult).

Nonetheless, to my mind, it's a bit rich to boast of being fluent in a language unless you either grew up with the language (ie grew up in a country in which the language was used, or had parents who spoke the language to you) or you spent time in the country once you grew up, having studied at high school or university.

Maybe I'm too humble and I need to blow my own horn - metaphorically speaking - but I do not regard myself as being in any way fluent in Japanese and yet I studied it at university for four years, then did a year of university exchange, then got a job that involved the language and travelled to the country multiple times each year, then married a Japanese national and am currently attempting to raise two kids to be reasonably bilingual.

To me, "fluent" means effectively native speaker level. Perhaps other people are using different definitions of fluent, such as "can communicate effectively and be widely understood".

I also speak some Indonesian, but quite poorly. But it's enough to chat to people, get around, and make friends whilst acting recklessly on remote islands.

Canal Directo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
Being Norwegian, I also understand Swedish and Danish quite well, the Scandinavian languages are quite close.

Most Scandinavians are supposedly quite fluent in English. Much of the reason for this is that the Scandiavian languages are too small to have television and films dubbed, so you get the original languages, with subtitles in your own. Portugal, for example, has the same situation WRT dubbing, apparently, whereas Germany/France/Italy/Spain does not. The Portuguese generally speak English very well, the Spanish, not so much.

Also, I speak some German and a very little French.

What's up with the norwegian language.
Is there really two different sub-languages: bokmal and nynorsk?
Or is it just a distinction between written/formal and oral/casual?

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You have no idea how jealous I am of you and others in this thread. I will always consider it one of my greatest failings that I have not learned another language to the point of fluency. I can read a fair bit of French and speak very little. At one point or another I've taken classes in German, Spanish, French, and Mandarin Chinese.

I hope to move abroad one day just to force myself to learn. Preferably French.

b

Originally Posted by M.D.
I have the advantage to live in Flanders in Belgium. Almost nobody in the world speaks Dutch so you're kinda required to learn other languages.

Dutch because i live and go to school in Flanders;
French because it's the second language in Belgium; i speak French with my parents, so its my mothertongue;
German because I've learned a bit in school and had internships in Germany;
English because half of my courses are given in English, all movies and series on TV are in English and subtitled in Dutch;
Italian because I've taken lots of holidays in Italy and my uncle lives in Rome;
If everything goes along plan next year I'll go on an Erasmus university exchange program in Spain for 6 months. Hopefully by then, I'll be able to add Spanish to my list.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Journeyman
Not to pick on Zacky specifically, but I'm often a bit wary of people who talk of themselves as being "fluent" in a language, particularly if they have only studied it at school or university.

Of course, languages are different - some are simple (Bahasa Indonesia, for example) and some are hard (Japanese is moderately difficult, Arabic and Russian are apparently difficult).

Nonetheless, to my mind, it's a bit rich to boast of being fluent in a language unless you either grew up with the language (ie grew up in a country in which the language was used, or had parents who spoke the language to you) or you spent time in the country once you grew up, having studied at high school or university.

+1

I can follow about 80% of a conversation in colombian spanish (chilian it drops to like 30%) and probrably 40-50% of an arabic conversation. but I wouldn't say I speak either of those. I can get by in a taxi, more or less.

some people have great language skills, but that is usually part of growing up with languages.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads