• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone know anything about "Baroni" Suits? Vs Suitsupply

docgerrard

Reaction score
The Prive line seems to fit me very well. I'm also looking for a nice rich blue suit and they have one. It would come out to $580 tailored. However, most topics I have seen about this line are from years ago when they seemingly cost less than $300

Im debating between that and a suitsupply or a j.crew ludlow. Just kind of hesitant to buy a suit online. With tailoring, I imagine both would come out to be a relatively similar price?

How much does tailoring a OTR suit typically cost? Of course it varies but is $100 a fair estimate? Thanks!

Last edited:

docgerrard

Reaction score
Is there more to wool than higher number is better?

The suitsupply napoli is 110s while the baroni prive is supposedly 150s. Does that necessarily mean the latter is better?

shortput

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I remember hearing that higher wool # = more delicate/higher maintenance. 150 vs 110 is irrelevant; the best suit is the one that fits best.

What are you tailoring? Just letting fabric in/out at the sleeves/waist or getting pants hemmed is fairly trivial (I just had pants let out for like $15), but something like getting the shoulders redone is prohibitively expensive and not worth it.

docgerrard

Reaction score
Yeah I would just get sleeves, pant waist and legs. Thanks for your help!

Any opinions on baroni suits?

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get whichever one fits better. I believe they are both half canvassed and the materials are likely similar, so get what fits. With that being said, Suitsupply has a better reputation on this forum, which may or may not be due to marketing.

shortput

Reaction score
I've never worn or seen one, so I couldn't tell you, but you can always try searching this website for people who have had experiences with them, or the internet at large.
tongue.gif

Are they fully canvassed? If so, all other things being equal, that would tip the scales in favor of Baroni, because Suitsupply is only half-canvassed. And as always, if the suit fits you must acquit!

docgerrard

Reaction score

I've never worn or seen one, so I couldn't tell you, but you can always try searching this website for people who have had experiences with them, or the internet at large. :p

Are they fully canvassed? If so, all other things being equal, that would tip the scales in favor of Baroni, because Suitsupply is only half-canvassed. And as always, if the suit fits you must acquit!

No it is half-canvassed! I just ordered the suitsupply, i'll have to try the baroni one on too. Thanks!

83MOE

Reaction score
How did that suitsupply.co suit work out for ya? I was thinking about getting a baroni myself but having a hrad time getting a recent review on them. I have seen them being talked about for $250-$300 various threads but have looks on the wizard site ebay, and baronisuits.com and see them for $495-$595

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is there more to wool than higher number is better?

The suitsupply napoli is 110s while the baroni prive is supposedly 150s. Does that necessarily mean the latter is better?

No it does not: the 150 far less useful for the ways of daily life.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's more to a material than the number (also applies to shirts). You can have a very high thread count and a crappy material that piles a lot and will die in a few months because it uses lower grade raw material and shorter fibres. And you can have a worsted in the 90s that will last forever, be bulletproof, yet soft and easy to tailor and wear. There's a limited supply of the good stuff and obviously it often goes to the highest bidder. No, a "cashmere" jumper for $60 is not a "great deal" compared to the $500 one.

You can test this theory relatively easily by buying second hand vintage suits, which despite their great age can still look great if well maintained. I personally think a lot of the stuff that hangs off the rack at more fashionable names already looks unwearable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads