• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone else have consistent problems with Amex?

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love my Amex Blue, I get $100 gift certificates to BR every couple months, that is better than the actual BR credit card rewards program.

As I have found, they are quick to resolve any issue and I have heard from friends that they will even reimburse you for things lost in shipment and stuff like that, it is up to $2k/year or something like that. I have never had to use it.

They do charge an arm and a leg though, many ma & pa places stopped accepting them, they charge something ridiculous like 7% commission whereas it is 1% for Visa/MC.

If you want a good MC go for the Citibank Dividend Platinum card, gotten outstanding service them them as well. Every few months I get $100 bucks cash back from them. Lower interest rate on this card too. They also offer one time use numbers I think.

Now that I think about it, I pretty much just use my Amex because it's flashy (it really does make my outfits pop more). I do, however, use my MC for personal businesses because I know that the owners get charged less. I reserve my Amex for restaurants and big chains.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
They do charge an arm and a leg though, many ma & pa places stopped accepting them, they charge something ridiculous like 7% commission whereas it is 1% for Visa/MC.

Do you enjoy just making up numbers? Do you really think anyone would accept Amex if they charged 7% commission? Visa/MC at high volume typically has a transaction fee and ~2% if you are a fairly high volume retailer. American Express is higher, but not incredibly so, perhaps 3.5-4% or so depending on your volume, but I bet a retailer like NM is probably paying the same as Visa/MC.

Now that I think about it, I pretty much just use my Amex because it's flashy (it really does make my outfits pop more). I do, however, use my MC for personal businesses because I know that the owners get charged less. I reserve my Amex for restaurants and big chains.
Amex Blue = flashy? yeah ok.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
Do you enjoy just making up numbers?
Yes.
sarcasm.gif
Actually I am just taking the numbers from what people have told me at small businesses and the reasons that they wanted to drop their Amex association. Maybe they were exaggerating, but there is no doubt that the increase in comission is why I find it less and less these days. I shop at what us less elite folk call "shops" and maybe even "stores". In any case, I am quite happy with their service and Citibank's.
You blind? It's got a hologram on it. It is literally flashy. I haven't upgraded to the black because it looks too much like an old man.
crackup[1].gif
(ps I pay my balance off every month)

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just called them since I had to anyways. They said on average it is 3%. I have heard so many complaints about Amex from small business owners this past year. Not sure what is going on with hidden costs or whatever because 3% doesn't seem that bad to me.

On a side note, I am actually disappointed that they redirected me to India just now, I couldn't understand the guy on the phone (and vice versa) so he had to redirect me to someone who spoke better English. First problem of any kind that I have had with Amex.
shog[1].gif

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why is everyone on this forum cooler, richer, more in the know, and, presumably, better looking than me?

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love Amex, from Tile and Wood to nice suits and ties the card always works, whereas my Visa is a pain and always requires them to stop and check if I authorized it.

The one time Amex called for fraud, they were dead right.

ATM

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JBZ
Why is everyone on this forum cooler, richer, more in the know, and, presumably, better looking than me?
Maybe you're the most honest member.
laugh.gif

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JBZ
I'm not
plain.gif

And what is tiecollector's problem with Indians?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Do you enjoy just making up numbers? Do you really think anyone would accept Amex if they charged 7% commission? Visa/MC at high volume typically has a transaction fee and ~2% if you are a fairly high volume retailer. American Express is higher, but not incredibly so, perhaps 3.5-4% or so depending on your volume, but I bet a retailer like NM is probably paying the same as Visa/MC.

Maybe he means that literally? Aren't they kind of a shiny space-agey blue?

tgfny

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
I pay over 1% more and it is a day or two slower in hitting my bank account. I will take amex, but if the customer asks, I will always take mc/visa I really like cash! Carl
Anyways at all to get it down? They kill me on keyed transactions, which a lot of my big tickets are (phone sales.) Cash and wire transfers rule!

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
I'm not
plain.gif

And what is tiecollector's problem with Indians?

No problem with Indians, but with so much outsourcing I have a HUGE problem when I call customer service (most likely it will be in India) and I spend several minutes just trying to figure out what the hell they are saying. I'm also very good at understanding people's accents, this guy was unintelligible. Guess that makes me whatever you are trying to implicate.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
No problem with Indians, but with so much outsourcing I have a HUGE problem when I call customer service (most likely it will be in India) and I spend several minutes just trying to figure out what the hell they are saying. I'm also very good at understanding people's accents, this guy was unintelligible. Guess that makes me whatever you are trying to implicate.

the rep could be calling from manila...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads