• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anybody dealt with member stilmacher? Confused as to what to do

Tibo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by culverwood
In business there are some customers you do not need. They want everything yesterday, Rolls-Royce quality, at Salvation Army prices and then they are slow to pay. You learn not to deal with them.
You're right. $500 for used shoes is really a Salvation Army price. And paying 10 mins after the sale is confirmed is being slow to pay. Thanks for your contribution.

Jangofett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by culverwood
In business there are some customers you do not need. They want everything yesterday, Rolls-Royce quality, at Salvation Army prices and then they are slow to pay. You learn not to deal with them.

Your criticism of the OP is unwarranted.

He paid 500 for a pair of shoes, which some commented is high.
He was told it would arrive within a certain time (which I thought was a bit long).
He only raised it to SF after the certain time has elapsed.

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Fair enough...
laugh.gif

Let's now turn against him.
devil.gif

lol8[1].gif

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
The OP is the worst sort of buyer - a tool with an itchy trigger finger.

thanks for clarifying that OP is to avoid at any cost. this is real service.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tibo
Correct. I threatened to drop a sale I agreed to, because after I agreed to buy the item which you confirmed was still available, you suddenly told me it wasn't available anymore. Mind your language please, I don't need your insults and I'm not really sure they contribute to the debate.
Eh, this is exactly the same problem we see cropping up here. If I (mistakenly) send you a PM saying that something is not available when I may have told you earlier that it was available, it means it's not available, not apropos is trying to game me the bastard how dare he I'm going to kick up a stink. People make mistakes, especially people who buy/sell infrequently or people who have real lives. When someone is late replying to PMs, it probably means that he's late replying to PMs, not OMG I've been ripped off the bastard is trying to defraud me. You jump to the least likely conclusion and demand atelier-level service when you're buying 2nd-hand goods over the internet. You stand out in my mind because you're one of 2 buyers from which I have had problems with in over 3 years here selling stuff. The other guy makes you look fantastic though - claiming something sold to him was altered and thus demanding a partial refund, while simultaneously listing it here on SF (and using my photos) for a much higher price and neglecting to mention that the item was 'altered'.
facepalm.gif

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by w.o.e.is.me.
+1
imo, if you take someone's money, you are obligated to maintain contact with them at the least.

Indeed. At the end of the day, the OP paid $500, which is not an insignificant sum for most people, and waited long enough for the seller to respond. The few sellers I've worked with here on SF have been great enough that I've not ever had this problem. But I have experienced this elsewhere, and it is not fun.

There's an element of faith at play here, and the buyer entrusted the seller with his money. Had the seller communicated within a reasonable time frame, the buyer's faith would not have been threatened.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seriously though, why didn't you email him earlier? There are times when I don't check my PMs for weeks.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
You jump to the least likely conclusion and demand atelier-level service when you're buying 2nd-hand goods over the internet.
What the hell thread were you reading? It obviously wasn't this one. OP came on too strong, but the people chiming in en masse to say it was ridiculous of him to bring any of this up at all are outright lunatics. Just because the seller is known for being slow and unresponsive doesn't mean that anyone who ever decides to buy something from him will magically know that. To assume they will is moronic at best. If that is how stilmacher does business, he should warn his customers ("N.B.: I'm going out of town next week and may be slow to ship/respond...."). It's REALLY EASY to be a considerate seller, and to keep someone in the dark for weeks over a $600 purchase is ridiculous.

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure what the problem is. 16 Days for a package to arrive from England is hardly that long. I have had packages that took a month.

While it would have been nice for the seller to be communicative and supplied a tracking number, life does happen.

Maybe it is just the OP's lack of experience with Overseas Purchases (I assume). Sometimes it takes long time. Especially during the customs crank down after the HP Printer Cartridge Bombs.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JamesX
Not sure what the problem is. 16 Days for a package to arrive from England is hardly that long. I have had packages that took a month. While it would have been nice for the seller to be communicative and supplied a tracking number, life does happen. Maybe it is just the OP's lack of experience with Overseas Purchases (I assume). Sometimes it takes long time. Especially during the customs crank down after the HP Printer Cartridge Bombs.
He didn't start this thread because it "took 16 days" for the package to arrive. He never received confirmation from the seller that he had received payment, that he would be mailing the item, that he HAD mailed the item, that there was a tracking number . . . . You don't accept 600 bucks from someone and then leave them wondering what's going on. If he was off the grid, he should have notified his customers. If he wasn't off the grid, why the hell didn't he reply? Maybe I'm giving OP too much credit but it sounds to me like a brief message -- "Just shipped your shoes. tracking # 239829384928349234 @ usps.com" (which is the bare minimum of common decency and consideration for a seller IMO) -- would have averted this thread entirely, or at least until the tracking number showed a delivery in the wrong country.
laugh.gif

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since there is some sort of Underline game going on

Not sure what the problem is. 16 Days for a package to arrive from England is hardly that long. I have had packages that took a month.

While it would have been nice for the seller to be communicative and supplied a tracking number, life does happen.

Maybe it is just the OP's lack of experience with Overseas Purchases (I assume). Sometimes it takes long time. Especially during the customs crank down after the HP Printer Cartridge Bombs.

I am not suggesting what the seller did is correct behavior. What I am commenting on is the OP's jumping of the GUN.

The Goods arrived in a reasonable amount of time. In fact it is more or less the average time, in my experience, it takes packages to get from UK to US. Because the seller is non-communicative he jumps the gun and start worrying that "OMG I been deceived and my money is down the drain!! What can I DO!!! Anyone knows if this guy is legit???!!!!!!"

Which is what I was talking about. Perhaps it is because he doesn't buy from overseas much (and thus used to Amazon selling method of constant updates and ~5-10 days delivery time). There is really little reason to worry until you at least pass the month mark.

Even in the beginning of this thread, many have assured him that the guy is legit and just wait. He keep being figeding and seemingly haunted by the possibility of being cheated.

I was trying to say that the OP should just chill out a bit, and don't have to jump the gun and expect the worse. Since in this case the goods did arrive and in the described condition. This exchanged should be a lesson in patience and self-constraint.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
ZOMG! I just got the sweetest pair of JLs delivered to my house in NJ, but I never ordered a pair. Probably will keep, since they were totally free.

Jangofett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
Indeed. At the end of the day, the OP paid $500, which is not an insignificant sum for most people, and waited long enough for the seller to respond. The few sellers I've worked with here on SF have been great enough that I've not ever had this problem. But I have experienced this elsewhere, and it is not fun.

There's an element of faith at play here, and the buyer entrusted the seller with his money. Had the seller communicated within a reasonable time frame, the buyer's faith would not have been threatened.

Without tooting my horn, Stil is like any other seller online. Dont expect top notch service regardless of what you paid. He aint John Lobb you know.

I remember when I sold some shoes on ebay last Dec, as usual, I would ship them on the same day or next day (if that is not a public holiday) after receipt of payment. I would give them the tracking number ASAP and when one buyer didnt receive his shoes and was hounding me, I was kind enough to chase the post office regularly for updates. That is when the delay was due to a NATIONWIDE SNOWSTORM which resulted in all mails and parcels being delayed.

Buyer finally got the shoes but he never even gave me a positive feedback for all I have done.
AND the shoes were sold at a loss to me too!!!

Jangofett

Reaction score
Since there is some sort of Underline game going on

I am not suggesting what the seller did is correct behavior. What I am commenting on is the OP's jumping of the GUN.

The Goods arrived in a reasonable amount of time. In fact it is more or less the average time, in my experience, it takes packages to get from UK to US. Because the seller is non-communicative he jumps the gun and start worrying that "OMG I been deceived and my money is down the drain!! What can I DO!!! Anyone knows if this guy is legit???!!!!!!"

Which is what I was talking about. Perhaps it is because he doesn't buy from overseas much (and thus used to Amazon selling method of constant updates and ~5-10 days delivery time). There is really little reason to worry until you at least pass the month mark.

Even in the beginning of this thread, many have assured him that the guy is legit and just wait. He keep being figeding and seemingly haunted by the possibility of being cheated.

I was trying to say that the OP should just chill out a bit, and don't have to jump the gun and expect the worse. Since in this case the goods did arrive and in the described condition. This exchanged should be a lesson in patience and self-constraint.

Er, is anyone reading OP's post?
He is in Belgium and Stil is in Germany. Although that still qualifies for an international purchase.
I think Hitler only took a few days for his Panzers to roll into Belgium.
If Stil drove his Merc to Belgium with breaks in between, it wouldnt take 16 days!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads