• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any One for a Scotch?

BenLeaman

Reaction score

I have not tried Storm. Although I probably should because I rather like the 10yo and the tasting notes seem similar between the two.

Thanks for the response. I'll just jump to the front of the line and grab a bottle of DE when I find it.

I was just looking at the Taliaker DE, Laphroaig 10 Cask Strength and Cardeais in a large shop in Cinncinnati but already have a couple bottles of Four Roses Private Selections I'm bringing home from my jaunt into Kentucky, so the suitcase is filled. All in time...

LEVOOSH

Reaction score
Decided to join the SMWS. You used to get a bottle along with the dues; now that's been reduced to 3 100ml tasters and a welcome pack. A couple of the tasters, all enjoyable:
LL
And picked up some independent bottlings recently too.
I have a bottle of that Benrinnes but haven't opened it yet. Very curious for your thoughts when you do open it. Have moved from American Whisky to scotch acquisition in the last 6 months to balance the bar. Recent acquisitions include: - Glenfarclas 17, 21 and 25 - Springbank 10, 15, 18 - Glenmorangie Signet - Glendronach 15 Revival - Balvenie Single Barrel 15 Sherry Cask - Caol Ila Distillers Edition The Caol Ila is very interesting. It is finished in muscatel barrels which add a very subtle sweet apple-y note to the smoky spirit. Very different than Lag DE and other sherry finished Islays. Will be a nice summer Islay.

LEVOOSH

Reaction score
About that 4 year 43% loss (I'm assuming because of heat?), it reminds me of how Laphroaig Quarter Cask is only like 6 years or something but because of the cask size it 'matures' quicker. So there's a case to be made for moving away from age statements because so many factors can influence the taste and a simple number of years statement is such a weak indicator. It's like using chest size, one single number, to fit a suit. Makes no sense. I was originally really against the practice of dropping age statements but I'm understanding how it's just a bad metric that gets in the way. If the juice tastes good, who cares. I mean you can char the barrel longer, drop in staves, put it in a hot storage facility on a higher rack, I dunno, basically a million things can change the flavor and number of years in the barrel is one indicator, but shouldn't be the only one. I don't know if I told this anecdote before when we were discussing this subject a few months back but I was at the DF and overheard a youngish girl talking to the SA there and she wanted to buy a gift, but her discussion was led by 'I want to spend between X and Y dollars' and I want to get a 'X year bottle'. So she kept asking the guy, well I want to buy a 16 year Scotch, so who makes a good one. I know you gotta roll with something but I mean damn, the guy didn't even bother explaining about the general regions or the idea that there are a few different 'styles' of Scotch and that the year or price can be found within any of them. She just wanted a 'well known brand name' at 'x price' with 'x years' on it. And as a manufacturer, sure, you're up against those kind of consumers here and there, but maybe just maybe stick the age statement on the back somewhere, and the posted price point issue is unavoidable, and focus more on describing what the actual bottle tastes like or sampling program, or sales person education, or flavor maps, I dunno. But the whole business has become about fancy bottle shapes, special editions, and big bold numbers of years aged on the front label and it's all a big distraction from the only thing that actually counts, the stuff inside. Goddamn I'm becoming an old man.

@Master-ClassterWhat your describing is the reason that age stated Macallan has become so scarce. Age statement? Check. Familiar Name? Check. Appropriately high price? Check. Enough cache that i can impress my friends/colleagues when I take this bottle out? Check.

Scotch producers sell the majority of their product to the masses where tasting notes and profiles are second to the concept of "will the person recognize and appreciate this bottle/" (in concept, not in taste).

Unfortunately, whisky is a trial and error game if you want to learn what you like and/or find value. You can read all the reviews you want but nothing can replace a sip, or in more realistic cases, half a bottle to figure out if something fits your preferred flavour profile. My broader experience has led me back to the various expressions of certain distilleries (see above recent purchases focusing on Farclas, Springbank and Dronach). I try something new now and again but stick with what I know I like or variations on a theme (ie. sherried islays, or lightly peated/salty malts).

Last edited:

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still feel that an age statements has more to do with the transparency of a bottling, essentially product information. Any information that can speak to a bottling's quality is much appreciated. Distinct flavor elements are gained in this process. It also speaks to the extra work that the distillery had to put into aging a particular bottling. The loss of the age statement does signify a drop in quality in the industry for me, as they scramble to meet demand. I understand my idealistic view on age statements represent the minority here, but I feel my point is a fair one.

However, I do agree that the flavor profile should determine someones preference. An age statement won't change a person's palette. If they released some more cask strength NOS bottlings, I would be more than happy to give them a try during this age statement drought.

Firefox

Reaction score
I have a bottle of Talisker DE and I purchased it from the LCBO. It was a while back now, but I remember it to be in the neighbourhood of $140.

Lagavulin DE is $160 at the LCBO and Oban DE is $140.

They DE releases are rarely available at the LCBO, and when they are, they go quickly.

The only Talisker I see on the LCBO website (at least right now) is the 10, 25, and Storm. There is also a "Talisker & Craigellachie" blend that could be interesting, but obviously not a single malt.

Have you ever tried Storm?

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Talisker DE was the same price as the 10 when I got it at the BCL. I'm 99% sure they had their pricing wrong, though. $99 CAD all in.

brp2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Talisker DE was the same price as the 10 when I got it at the BCL. I'm 99% sure they had their pricing wrong, though. $99 CAD all in.

Just saw some at the local state store and, at $70, was tempted to pick it up.

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just ordered this. Seems interesting at a good price. Basically a "lost cask" from an unnamed distillery, 25 yo. Still some bottles left if you want to order it too

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Just got a bottle of Bowmore 12 and tried it. Little sharp and sweet for me, better on the long finish. Anyone have opinions/thoughts on this one?

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bowmore 15 is a significant step up from the 12.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads