• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any One for a Scotch?

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While I have not tried it myself, I would see no reason from the notes to not like the Oban Distillers Edition. It looks to be a fruity and smoky one with some peat. All of the other DE bottles I have tried have turned out to be excellent and affordable. Most online reviews have been good as well.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oban DE is my weekly. I love it. It has a great sea air saltiness, which is balanced by the slightly sweet, yet savory character that the Madeira casks give it. Wonderful whisky. I have long been a fan of the Diageo DEs, but the Crag, Oban, and Lagavulin are the best.

- Huntsman

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm another big fan of Oban DE, it's a major step up from baseline Oban.

Huntman nailed the profile.

BenLeaman

Reaction score
@jcman311 and @huntsman thank you for the responses!
I should have stated that nothing really led me to believe that I wouldn't like it, just looking for feedback. So with that said I will look to open it as one of my currently open bottles run out.
Cheers!

Edit after the fact: additional thanks to @gibonius

Last edited:

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My favorite has been the Talisker DE.

How would you say the DE compares against Storm? Provided you have tried both, I'm going off the assumption you have.
Regards,
Ben

I have not tried Storm. Although I probably should because I rather like the 10yo and the tasting notes seem similar between the two.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need more Talisker in my life. The DE is fantastic, but a friend says that he's tried both the 10 year and the DE side by side and wasn't able to tell the difference. The Lagavulin DE is good, too. Almost finished that bottle.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have been really getting into the Glendronach distillery releases for at least the past 6 months. Amazing stuff, and exactly right up my alley in terms of what I am looking for in a whiskey.

Also, ready for it? Ready? Glenfiddich. My local store sold me their only bottle of the Bourbon Barrel release and it was a thing of beauty. Have also been snapping up their limited releases of the 18 year old that appear from time to time (not the garden variety 18s, which are also quite good) as well as the original recipe experiment..

brp2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Decided to join the SMWS. You used to get a bottle along with the dues; now that's been reduced to 3 100ml tasters and a welcome pack. A couple of the tasters, all enjoyable:

And picked up some independent bottlings recently too.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not exactly scotch, but Tullamore DEW Phoenix is quite pleasant as a sherried daily drinker. It's bottled at 55%, so it's got pretty good punch and quite a bargain.

Firefox

Reaction score
I need more Talisker in my life. The DE is fantastic, but a friend says that he's tried both the 10 year and the DE side by side and wasn't able to tell the difference. The Lagavulin DE is good, too. Almost finished that bottle.

I shudder to think what the LCBO would charge for a bottle of Talisker DE given they charge $100 for Talisker 10.

Has anyone done a side-by-side comparison of Talisker Storm and Talisker 10? I've never tried the Storm as I heard it wasn't as good and it was the same price as 10, but it's now $10 cheaper so I'd be curious to know.

Eric Michael

Reaction score
I shudder to think what the LCBO would charge for a bottle of Talisker DE given they charge $100 for Talisker 10.
I have a bottle of Talisker DE and I purchased it from the LCBO. It was a while back now, but I remember it to be in the neighbourhood of $140.

Lagavulin DE is $160 at the LCBO and Oban DE is $140.

They DE releases are rarely available at the LCBO, and when they are, they go quickly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads