• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any One for a Scotch?

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
eh. i think blends are about to make a comeback especially with rising single malt prices. a lot of good value blends out there compared to some really overpriced single malts

anybody have experience with kilchoman? worth the hype?

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

eh. i think blends are about to make a comeback especially with rising single malt prices. a lot of good value blends out there compared to some really overpriced single malts

I agree on the blends...Whiskey Advocate just did a piece on them too, so...

As far as Kilchoman, I can't imagine its worth the price tag, especially with some Laphroaigs right at the same level.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, just for fun, figured that maybe the scotch afficionados could give me some advice on where to go next.

Here is the current state of my collection:

Laphroiag 10, Lagavulin 16, Ardbeg 10, Ardbog, Ardbeg Oogie, HP 18, Balvenie Caribbean Cask, Aberlour A'bunadh, Arran Malt Devil's Bunchbowl, Talisker 18.

Any suggestions of where I should go next?

Longmorn

Reaction score
So, just for fun, figured that maybe the scotch afficionados could give me some advice on where to go next.

Laphroiag 10, Lagavulin 16, Ardbeg 10, Ardbog, Ardbeg Oogie, HP 18, Balvenie Caribbean Cask, Aberlour A'bunadh, Arran Malt Devil's Bunchbowl, Talisker 18.

Only if you give some notes on the Arran Malt Devil's Punchbowl. Is it the I or the II? Saw it in Astor a couple weeks back and was intrigued, having had some good luck with Arran in recent months.

In terms of advice, depends which direction you want to go. Looks like you've got a lot of peat and maritime character already. If you want variations on a theme, you could go for more smoke and brine in Port Charlotte, Bowmore, or Longrow. For some brine with less/no smoke, Bruichladdich Laddy 10, 16, or Rocks; Longmorn 16; or Old Pulteney 12 (not sure the 17 is worth the price).

If you want to branch out to other profiles, Glenlivet is classic and entirely worthwhile (refined Speyside). G&M bottlings of Glen Grant are tasty. You'll have noted that Mortlach is a favorite around here, but hard to find. If you like the A'bunadh you might try regular Aberlour. That said, you seem to like big Scotches so you might want to concentrate on cask strength bottlings from the 'lighter' regions. Maybe Glenfarclas 105?

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which of those do you like and why?

Longmorn

Reaction score

Had a single barrel Kilchoman at the Flatiron Room a couple weeks back. Strong peat, but not all that well integrated with other flavors. Didn't appeal to me, but YMMV.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

You seem to like what I like. Sweet, Salty Peat. I'd go Lap 18...its by far the best Islay thats readily available under $100. The Ardbeg is a rough scotch, but Lap 18 is just GREAT, refined witha ll the character of an Islay but it has the silkiness of a good Speyside.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
laphroaig 18 is a standout. My bottle is a gift from my old boss, from when I was no longer serving under him, to thank me for working fir him. Standout guy that doesn't even like scotch but knew I liked Lag 16 and so asked around.

~ H

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

In terms of advice, depends which direction you want to go. Looks like you've got a lot of peat and maritime character already. If you want variations on a theme, you could go for more smoke and brine in Port Charlotte, Bowmore, or Longrow. For some brine with less/no smoke, Bruichladdich Laddy 10, 16, or Rocks; Longmorn 16; or Old Pulteney 12 (not sure the 17 is worth the price).

If you want to branch out to other profiles, Glenlivet is classic and entirely worthwhile (refined Speyside). G&M bottlings of Glen Grant are tasty. You'll have noted that Mortlach is a favorite around here, but hard to find. If you like the A'bunadh you might try regular Aberlour. That said, you seem to like big Scotches so you might want to concentrate on cask strength bottlings from the 'lighter' regions. Maybe Glenfarclas 105?

Thank you your suggestions! That was very helpful! I have wanted to try some of the G&M--my local booze store has some G&M options, include a 15 year old Mortlach. I have not tried any of the Bruichladdich options, so that is definitely an option. I really enjoy Briney scotches (well, I love the Talisker 18).

I enjoyed the A'bunadh, especially the sherried nature of it, so perhaps the Aberlour would be worth it! And I agree, I kind of want to branch out a little bit. I feel like my collection is very... honed.

And it is the Punchbowl II. Let me have some tonight, and I will report back to you!

Which of those do you like and why?

I like everything except the Caribbean cask. I also have tried Glenfiddich and Glenlivet (the basic years), and did not really care for them too much. I found they were a little bit... single noted.

I really like the Talisker 18 and the Lagavulin 16. Also, the Oogie. The Ardbeg 10 and the Laphroiag 10 are probably my least favorites (other than the Balvenie). And I still greatly both of them. I think I prefer the Lap 10 more than the Ardbeg 10.

I actually really liked the Arran Malt Devil's Bunchbowl II. It is a bit discordant, from what I remember. But I really enjoyed the apple notes. I enjoyed the crisp taste to it.

You seem to like what I like. Sweet, Salty Peat. I'd go Lap 18...its by far the best Islay thats readily available under $100. The Ardbeg is a rough scotch, but Lap 18 is just GREAT, refined witha ll the character of an Islay but it has the silkiness of a good Speyside.

I have actually had the Lap 18 before. It is DELICIOUS. I would really like to pick that up again. I may actually do that! And the Ardbeg 10 is super rough, but the Oogie and the Bog are just so damn tasty.

NYI - I don't think I recall you ever mentioning Bowmore, which would fit this profile, too. Have you tried any of their stuff? If not, the Darkest would probably be a good place to start.

Hmmm, I have never tried the Bowmore Darkest. I may have to pick one of those up.

Next stop should be Bunnahabhain 18, but that is a fantastic collection. Good choices.

I have thought a lot about picking that up. I have had the Bunny 12, and was not the biggest fan (but I had it early on in my tasting journey). Is the 18 that much more dynamic?

laphroaig 18 is a standout. My bottle is a gift from my old boss, from when I was no longer serving under him, to thank me for working fir him. Standout guy that doesn't even like scotch but knew I liked Lag 16 and so asked around.

~ H

I think I will have to pick up the 18. I have only had a glass. I would like to work my way to a bottom of it.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clementinezia81