• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any One for a Scotch?

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anything in particular you didn't like about it?

I<3Bacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It certainly isn't for everyone. I think it helps to not be in an Islay frame of mind while drinking it. It's a high quality whisky, priced right, and shockingly complex for being only 10yrs old.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think that Laddie 10 is best served on the rocks, doing so changed my opinion of it.

Last edited:

djblisk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

update: bannahabhain 12 - i really enjoyed it on xmas eve.
opinions on yamazaki 12 and 18? is the 18 worth the extra money? I actually haven't seen the 18 in stores.

the 18 is way better than the 12.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It certainly isn't for everyone. I think it helps to not be in an Islay frame of mind while drinking it. It's a high quality whisky, priced right, and shockingly complex for being only 10yrs old.

Exactly right. Laddie 10 with some water makes it even better....ice? no way :uhoh:

mrb87

Reaction score
Currently working on a Talisker 25 (a newer bottling; not the usual cask-strength ones from the past), GlenDronach 18 and a Glenfarclas 30. Was particularly disappointed by the Glenfarclas -- I'd read great things and the nose is simply amazing, but the taste and mouthfeel fall flat. Not bad, but they just do not have the same depth and intensity as the nose.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I drank it neat. Maybe that was the problem. It just seemed very one-dimensional. Maybe the hype had me expecting more. I will try it with some water next time to see if that changes my mind..

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I liked it straight, in a Glencairn glass. I found that it had a decent amount of depth, especially for a ten year. I like it more than the oft-touted Balvenie Caribbean Cask or Doublewood, which I do find a little limited in depth (if still eminently drinkable and enjoyable).

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Also:
Has anyone tried the Nikka 15?

Yes, I actually have a bottle open now. Its very pleasant, but a little light in terms of mouthfeel for me to want to drink it regularly.

Anybody in LA seen Hibiki 12, 17, or 21 for sale?!!!!!
I can't find any for a reasonable price.
I refuse to pay high markup at Wally's. Reason why they still have stock is because they **** you.

http://robertburnswines.com/products-page/blended/HIB0010203/

I haven't seen the 17 or 21 in the States yet.

update: bannahabhain 12 - i really enjoyed it on xmas eve.
opinions on yamazaki 12 and 18? is the 18 worth the extra money? I actually haven't seen the 18 in stores.

I think that the 18 is much better, but the price on it has gone crazy lately. I don't know that I'd be rushing out to pick it up at well over $100 as its priced now.

I've had a lot of bottles at around $50 that I'd rather drink. After having it a few times and I'm more in Gnatty's camp than Bacon's on this one. I don't think its bad by any stretch of the imagination, but I think its way overhyped, especially around here. Still :inlove: you Bacon!

Had the Laddie 10. Wish I'd saved my money and bought something else..

Last edited:

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I need ("need") to pick up a blend for mixing. Suggestions? Hopefully something that I have a reasonable chance of finding without hunting across creation.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I need ("need") to pick up a blend for mixing. Suggestions? Hopefully something that I have a reasonable chance of finding without hunting across creation.

Johnny Walker Black? I guess it depends what you want to mix and if you want something a little smokier or less smoky.

Don't get me wrong. If I have $50 and can only buy one bottle, it will be a Tali 10yr, Oogy, Laph QC or 10yr CS before the Laddie.

Oggie is $50ish there? That is quite a deal...

Adding: HP12, Springbank 10, Aberlour 12 or AA, Clynelish 14 some others...

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Johnny Walker Black? I guess it depends what you want to mix and if you want something a little smokier or less smoky.

Probably on the less smokey end of things. I have very little experience with blends but it's a hole in my bar.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads