• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any Lawyers out there? I need advice.

kmwrestle

Reaction score
Heres my story, please don't pass judgement i just want some legal advice.
Here is the story in cliff note form.

Nov 2005 - sentenced to 5 years of probation by the state of NY. I had moved back to MASS so my supervision was transferred to Mass
I had one probation officer for a year, no problems
I had another probation officer for a year no problems
May 2008, i was assigned a new PO, my 3rd. She was a total hard ass. My previous 2 PO's were totally cool, come in every couple months drop off a paystub and leave. I had passed a bunch of random urine screens so i was taken off by my previous PO, since my crime was not drug related. She put me back on it. She wanted to visit me at my place of employment, With my prev PO i was going every 6 months she called me on July 30th at like 4:00 and said if i didn't report the next day she was going "to pull rank" and that i was supposed to be going every 2 months (news to me). Pretty much threatened my arrest if i ddint go
July 31st - Gives me a hard time about a DNA Test i was supposed to have done(which i did in front of my prev PO, but i late found out was miss-comunication with NY...turns out the judge on my case wanted the DNA done in NY by a NY PO.
She then notices that I haven't been paying a supervision fee of 60.00 a month. Well i haven't paid it because noone has ever asked me for it. This is the first time i have ever heard of this and i have been on probation for almost 3 years. She says i owe 3 yrs worth of past fees totalling close to 3000.00
Aug 8 - I drive to NY and have DNA test done
Aug 15 - get call from NY PO says judge terminated my probation early, tells me to call po and tell her im off and dont have to report anymore
week later - call my MASS PO she says she hasnt recieved anything and that i should try to get proof and bring it to her sept 11 when i was supposed to come in
Sept 10 - call NY PO, he said he cant fax it to me but will send it to MA PO
Sept 11 - report to PO , she hadnt recieved it so i had her call NY PO, he explains that the proabtion was terminated. She tells him i owe 2000 he doesnt seem to care. SHe then says that im still on proabtion and will continue to have to report monthly until i pay the 2000.00 i explain i dont have that money lying around. She pretty much said "if you don't pay the 2000 i am going to petition to have the probation reinstated with the interstate office blah blah blah" She then makes me take a drug screen and says i will have to do those as well , it was almost like she was trying to make my life miserable with that.

Is this legal? I was on probation in NY, MA was just the supervision. I was never told about the 60.00 a month, but they claim i was. It was not listed in the terms of probation i signed from NY. What are my rights if any? Or is this her "pulling rank" and getting away with it and i have no choice but to pay the 2000. She went to her supervisor and told him the story and he said i have to pay and that he told about it back in 05. (he was my origional PO) However if i was that behind on the payments woudlnt i have gotten a bad evaluation in early 08 that was sent to NY. Wouldnt they of come after me before 3 yrs later.

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude, call legal aid or some other non-profit legal services org. and talk to someone, either on the phone or in person.

And find out if you can get your DNA information destroyed while you're asking about this mess.

Probably need to consult w/ someone in NY and MA.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sartorian
Dude, call legal aid or some other non-profit legal services org. and talk to someone, either on the phone or in person.

+1. This is the best advice you'll receive on this topic.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kmwrestle
i just figured their may be some lawyers on here....

There are, however:

1. Each jurisdiction has different rules.
2. Your situation is very unique, which requires fact finding and legal research.
3. Finally, people are not getting paid for giving you advice, but might liable later for giving you incorrect answers.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kmwrestle
i just figured their may be some lawyers on here....
There are, but even if you get great advice, it's an uphill battle convincing your PO to lay off because a guy claiming to be a lawyer on the internet says they're wrong.

the.chikor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
There are, but even if you get great advice, it's an uphill battle convincing your PO to lay off because a guy claiming to be a lawyer on the internet says they're wrong.

laugh.gif

FrankDrebben

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
There are, however:

1. Each jurisdiction has different rules.
2. Your situation is very unique, which requires fact finding and legal research.
3. Finally, people are not getting paid for giving you advice, but might liable later for giving you incorrect answers.

+1, My California Law License doesn't help. I do think it is total BS. Call the local bar association and see if they have any pro-bono volunteers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads