• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any great compliments lately?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
My clear frame eyeglasses have been getting positive comments virtually daily. I'm actually surprised that people comment so much on clear frames since, after all, they are clear.
My eyeglasses have been noticed a lot lately, even at a funeral last week.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr monty
Got a compliment on my shoes. The guy said "Shoes that nice must be Stacy Adams".
I said thanks and kept on walking. I was wearing a black pair of Grants (RLPL)
lol8[1].gif

That calls for choking the crap out of the guy.

aph999

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As my fiance and I waited to be seated at a nice local restaurant, the hostess said "you two look soooo handsome." I was wearing a RLPL black cashmere DB sportcoat and striped flannel RL charcoal grey pants, with white shirt and a royal purple tie, she was wearing something equally (no, more) stunning. We stood out because, unfortunately, most of the rest of the clientele were wearing the standard drab stuff. I think we were born about 40 years too late.

Have had several compliments lately on my suits--from women and men--most recently a brown Isaia windowpane SB suit, a sage green and blue Zegna 15 mil windowpane sportcoat and light grey Brioni SB suit (my favorite).

Also, I routinely get compliments on my AE Fairfax shoes (chestnut) and my Borgiolis.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aph999
Also, I routinely get compliments on my AE Fairfax shoes (chestnut) and my Borgiolis.

The Fairfax is my favorite AE shoe, by far.

oroy38

Reaction score
Much to my girlfriend's contempt, I usually get compliments from some of my university's more sought after females (students and professors alike) on my "courageous" use of brightly colored sweaters, use of neckties on a fairly regular basis, and being consistently clean-shaven with a clean haircut. There is one old-school professor at my school whose dress is easily up to par with SF Standards, and we've become informal smoking buddies whenever we cross paths during a break by chance. He and I regularly fuss about the disappointing dress of the majority of college students, both male and female (sweat pants, baseball caps, oversized t-shirts, and hoodies for the most part)

My shoe collection is small and thus limited to a few conservative pieces, but whenever I wear my cordovan brogues I regularly get compliments.

Every now and then I'll walk past a group of girls with my girlfriend and we'll hear whispers of "I wish my boyfriend would dress that well."

Despite my personal choice of dress, I've never felt like I was considered "that guy" in the sense of "that guy who feels the need to dress better than everyone else to show that he is more mature and secure, when in fact he is quite the opposite." In fact, this was confirmed only a few days ago when one of my professors approached me after class concerning a student who dresses up in an ill-fitting suit/sportcoat & trousers and bulky shoes every day (he is "that guy"). My professor said, "It seems natural for you. You're very buttoned up, so to speak, but you look casual, as if you were in a t-shirt and jeans. It feels forced with him."

I'm not sure whether it is my place to inform the guy of his ill-fitting clothing.

For the most part, I don't really have any concern for people's opinions of me, but it is nice when someone does take the time to compliment you on your attire, regardless of how second nature it may have become to you.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of the salesman at the SF BB said to me that, "I walked around like I owned the place." Not sure if that was intended to be a compliment or not, but it was definitely one of the more unexpected things I've heard related to my presence.

gsugsu

Reaction score
Of all things, the two most recent comments have been regarding my "brown is for farmers" Isaia nailhead suit. go figure.

KA1555

Reaction score
The other night I had the pleasure of meeting, having drinks with, and chatting with Billy Reid himself.

The sales associate that I know at the store introduced me as "one of the most stylish people in town."

While I do care about how I dress, even I know that's not true. Nevertheless, it was quite flattering to hear when being introduced to a designer.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
One of the salesman at the SF BB said to me that, "I walked around like I owned the place." Not sure if that was intended to be a compliment or not, but it was definitely one of the more unexpected things I've heard related to my presence.

This sounds a bit back handed to me. Depends on his inflection.

PTWilliams

Reaction score
I received my Brioni shirt purchased from Ebay and wore it to the local Pub.
A sort of attractive women, late forties, comes up to me and asks me about the shirt.
We start to talk and had a few drinks.
She is looking better with each drink, and she asks me if I've ever had a fantasy about a mother daughter combination?
I've had enough drinks that her age is no longer an issue and I say sure (I'm unattached).
We go to her house and she asks me to make myself comfortable, but leave the shirt on.
She goes over to the stairwell and calls out
"Mom?"

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PTWilliams
A sort of attractive women, late forties, comes up to me and asks me about the shirt.
She is looking better with each drink, and she asks me if I've ever had a fantasy about a mother daughter combination?
I've had enough drinks that her age is no longer an issue and I say sure (I'm unattached).
We go to her house and she asks me to make myself comfortable, but leave the shirt on.
"Mom?"

Pictures or it didn't happen?
patch[1].gif

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PTWilliams
"Mom?"

Did she also call out "Conne?"

-Norton-

Reaction score
The wife of one of my profs asked me last week at a communal drink where exactly I buy my shirts&shoes and if I could tell her husband the name of the shops/brands.
eh.gif
I have never met her before and worried the whole time he might accidentally overhear this ridiculous "conversation"; awkward.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My neighbour thought I had a new office job in London ...

It is a compliment for a Folkestone man.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DentonHelen