• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any great compliments lately?

Doorstop

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KPO89
Hey we didn't pick out your stuff...

Thank yourself.

Thanks for that. I'm getting there. It's been wonderful gathering an entire collection of YSL and Dior ties out of local goodwills, along with a pair of black Alden cap toes and AE burgundy wingtips. The thrift raids and wife's enthusiastic embrace of my new obsession (straight husband into clothes, she's enthused) have dramatically changed things closet wise. I wore a Harris Tweed to take my daughter to the park today, and loooooved it.

KPO89

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doorstop
Thanks for that. I'm getting there. It's been wonderful gathering an entire collection of YSL and Dior ties out of local goodwills, along with a pair of black Alden cap toes and AE burgundy wingtips. The thrift raids and wife's enthusiastic embrace of my new obsession (straight husband into clothes, she's enthused) have dramatically changed things closet wise. I wore a Harris Tweed to take my daughter to the park today, and loooooved it.

Dude....what goodwills you going to man???!!! SHEEEZZZ I wanna come...at ours its all outdated RL Chaps.
eek.gif

Doorstop

Reaction score
Dude....what goodwills you going to man???!!! SHEEEZZZ I wanna come...at ours its all outdated RL Chaps.
eek.gif

Actually one of the few advantages of living in an economically rough area (Shreveport LA). We have multiple Goodwills and a couple of salvation armies. And it seems that what moves in these places isn't the stuff I like. Without exaggeration, in addition to the above stuff (like 20 ties in the past month, nothing less nice than a Talbott BOC), in the past month I've pulled six RL black label button ups, a YSL and Aquascutum button up, a Harris Tweed blazer, a de la Renta navy blazer, a BB brown herringbone blazer, nice charcoal gray Armani flat fronts, a Burberry brown herringbone trouser, and a YSL black wool trouser. Aaaaand an unworn Willis & Geiger Hemingway safari jacket that I had to give to my dad (right handers shooting pad, he's a rightie shooting, I'm not). I dislike northern LA with a passion, but if this keeps up I may stay.

Doorstop

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
And you are lucky enough to have all this be in your size? Or is your tailor on retainer?!

Most of the shirts had to be taken in at the waist, since I am unfortunate enough to have a 17.5 neck and a 35 waist. The blazers fit, and I left decent ones behind at most stops. The Armani pants were hemmed, as were the Burberry. THE YSLs fit. Luckily, the wife did the pant's hems, and the local tailor is taking in the RL shirts for $10 per, since the Aqua and YSL fit well enough (from what I can figure reading here, european market shirts are sometimes cut a bit slimmer?). I know it sounded a bit hyperbolic, but I have cleaned up recently. But it's entirely possible that this stuff just hadn't moved. I'll see in the next couple months if more nice stuff pops up. I'd be willing to bet I move towards 1 or 2 good pulls per weekend roundup. I'll try it in the bragging thread next time I go out.

Edit: And sorry to the OP for the derail.

KPO89

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doorstop
Actually one of the few advantages of living in an economically rough area (Shreveport LA). We have multiple Goodwills and a couple of salvation armies. And it seems that what moves in these places isn't the stuff I like. Without exaggeration, in addition to the above stuff (like 20 ties in the past month, nothing less nice than a Talbott BOC), in the past month I've pulled six RL black label button ups, a YSL and Aquascutum button up, a Harris Tweed blazer, a de la Renta navy blazer, a BB brown herringbone blazer, nice charcoal gray Armani flat fronts, a Burberry brown herringbone trouser, and a YSL black wool trouser. Aaaaand an unworn Willis & Geiger Hemingway safari jacket that I had to give to my dad (right handers shooting pad, he's a rightie shooting, I'm not). I dislike northern LA with a passion, but if this keeps up I may stay.

You know people like me would sell that on here and make a little profit all the while helping all of us out! It would be a win win....

Doorstop

Reaction score
You know people like me would sell that on here and make a little profit all the while helping all of us out! It would be a win win....

Most of the way off stuff has gone to two brothers of different sizes than me (one of whom hunts with me on the trips) or immediate friends. Anything really awesome will be sold, trust me.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any great compliments recently? Primarily on Howard Yount items.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wore my Burberry trench & Borsalino fedora a few days ago, I'm at the supermarket. Older woman was eyeing me by the cucumbers. I said, 'hello'. She said, 'hello'. I said, 'how are you'. She said, 'fine thank you, you are all dressed up.' I said, 'am I?' She said, 'yes I like your fedora & trenchcoat.' I said, 'thank you, I like your lipstick'. (a borrowed line from Gordon Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares)[/i]. She chuckled, then said, 'My husband has one just like that. It's London Fog, right?'
plain.gif
I managed a 'suprised' smile and said, 'Why yes it is. Well, I'm impressed. You certainly know your trenchcoats!' Bless her heart, I just couldn't correct her.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
Older woman was eyeing me by the cucumbers.

I thought it was going to take a totally different turn after this line.

Exit English

Reaction score
I had someone come up and thank me for the outfit I was wearing today at a wedding because it made him feel really happy.

I think it was the brown cordouroy jacket and the blue bow tie with orange polka dots.

blackbowtie

Reaction score
I've been getting compliments everyday on my Saddleback Leather chestnut backpack, which I have been carrying around for the last two weeks (pictures of which I have yet to post on the official Saddleback Leather thread.)

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was away for the last few days and received the type of compliments that I like to get, "you're dressed very nicely", and the like. No one particular item mentioned, just the overall appearance. Even in the Philly airport yesterday, I had a stranger or two pay nice compliments. I was dressed in BF suits and ties, OCBD shirts, longwings, and an overcoat.

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was at the 316 Club's Ketel One event last Thursday and I complimented the hostess on her appearance (usually she wears jeans but that evening she was glammed-up in a mini-dress and boots). She said, "That's such a compiment coming from you because you're so stylish."

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeKirk