• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any fixed-gear/single-speed fans?

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right now I have a cheap single speed that I've put about 300 miles on this summer. I'll be getting a fixed gear at some point. I first rode fixed on my friend's Fuji Track Pro and was instantly hooked.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
Also, it should be noted that there is a differance between fixed and single. With a fixed gear bike, you only have one gear but you also cannot coast. This changes the experience.

aha, that would be quite annoying... so all right I am the dumb one here. From what I heard all I can conclude is... WHY? I would never do it myself.

I suppose if all you ever ride is in the city (say NYC) then this is pretty good, but not places where there are lots of up/down plus flat. I used to be in Ithaca where you have hill/flat all over the place, I just simply can't think of a situation where a single gear can suffice (giving how much pulling power I want, how fast I want to go, etc.)

konadog

Reaction score
i've previously owned two fixies - a converted 1971 lygie and an IRO. they are a heck of a lot of fun, and if you ride where it's relatively flat, i highly recommend one. that being said, i sold both of them and now ride a carbon Ridley geared bike and a Van Dessell 29er for the dirt.

in terms of inexpensive off the shelf bikes, i did a ton of research. it really comes down to proper fit. go to the shops, ride a few. even if the one you want is out of your price range, but seems to have that "perfect fit", research it's geometry and buy a similar geometry cheaper model. you can always upgrade the wheels, hubs, cranks as money becomes more available.

although blasphemy in the bike forums, the fixies on bikesdirect.com are crazy cheap. and with the mechanics being simple on a single-speed, even the most remedial jamoke can put the thing together.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I was thinking about this one a couple years ago. Back then it came in a raw aluminum finish, now it is matt black.
9BR1_BBQ.jpg

Not a bike guy, what's the poop on this one. Cannondale Bad Boy single speed.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
Here is Rivendell's model:

Cool website, interesting company. like their use of tweed.

Dopey, do you ride/own one? You like?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
As an engineer I am sickened by fixed-gear bikes.

+1, ok, don't shoot me.

Side note, didn't someone come up with the equivalent of CVT on bicycle, anyone got a picture for that?

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
Cool website, interesting company. like their use of tweed.

Dopey, do you ride/own one? You like?

I do own one - I have the E. Homer Hilson model, which is sort of a country/road bike. I would have bought the Sam Hilbourne which is similar at half the price, but they hadn't my size in stock at the time, and they had a Wateford Hilson in my size at that moment (Waterford is the American framebuilder they use). I think they have restocked. The build quality is really outstanding and the bikes are beautiful. Worth the money if you appreciate the aesthetic value. Otherwise, not - there are cheaper machines that do the same thing. I skipped the tweed bags and bought the identical versions in the waxed cotton twill, instead. The tweed was a bit too twee for me.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
As an engineer I am sickened by fixed-gear bikes.
Agreed. We need a motor and a turbocharger bolted on before we can talk.
Originally Posted by clee1982
+1, ok, don't shoot me. Side note, didn't someone come up with the equivalent of CVT on bicycle, anyone got a picture for that?
You're not talking about the rubber-belt drive bike that had a belt that stretched to give a smaller gear ratio when peddling hard and under light use had a bigger gear ratio due to less stretch, are you?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ludeykrus
Agreed. We need a motor and a turbocharger bolted on before we can talk.

You're not talking about the rubber-belt drive bike that had a belt that stretched to give a smaller gear ratio when peddling hard and under light use had a bigger gear ratio due to less stretch, are you?

Sounds possible got a picture?

Found an example on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VYPs...eature=related -> on car

-> on bicycle, rather different design

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
CVT on a bicycle is an answer to a question nobody asked.
A conventional double already gives you 20 gears with reasonable spacing and range.
If that's not enough, get a triple.

Any CVT that is developed is going to have to be awfully light and efficient to beat a conventional derailleur system.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zippyh
CVT on a bicycle is an answer to a question nobody asked.
A conventional double already gives you 20 gears with reasonable spacing and range.
If that's not enough, get a triple.

Any CVT that is developed is going to have to be awfully light and efficient to beat a conventional derailleur system.

I don't see the reason to be excited abour CVT on bike. To be honest, I'm not even excited about Shimano's new electronic deraileurs/shifters. Maybe I'm somewhat of a purist. Like a car If I'm using gears, I prefer manual controls.

Ixelles

Reaction score
otc;2174869 said:
As I said, I don't currently have a fixed gear and there aren't really any consequences to riding a bike with gears. Fixies just give you an absolute purity to the experiance and are great for training things like a smooth pedal stroke.

Slight thread hijack, but I'm just getting back into cycling after many years as an alternative to running (bum knees). Is there a "correct" pedalling technique? I'm using clip-ins.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads