• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Antonio Meccariello Shoes

Proleet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am about to order me my first pair in soft square last and would like to request some input in size

I wear a size 9 in Alden Barrie & size 9 in Viberg 2030. Size 8.5 in Carmina Forest/Robert and 42.5 in Vass U/K last.
Rain 8.5 didn't fit well because instep was too high.

Do you advise size 8 or 8.5 or 9 ??

In case you havent: follow the detailed sizing guide on AM’s website.

For me: rain in Carmina uk 9 fits perfect. I have am soft square in uk 9.5. Hope this helps

cattitude

Reaction score
@ThunderMarch thank you as always for your detailed response. Do you end up taking the same size in soft sq. and chisel 2 (9UK) or do you think it makes sense to size down a half? I think I’d lean toward keeping 9 UK in this decurion II model if the GMTO utilizes the chisel 2 last based on what everyone has written, though I’m worried about the instep and of course the heel. Perhaps this simply means That I would cast my vote towards a makeup in the soft square last, but I’m open to both ultimately...

ThunderMarch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ThunderMarch thank you as always for your detailed response. Do you end up taking the same size in soft sq. and chisel 2 (9UK) or do you think it makes sense to size down a half? I think I’d lean toward keeping 9 UK in this decurion II model if the GMTO utilizes the chisel 2 last based on what everyone has written, though I’m worried about the instep and of course the heel. Perhaps this simply means That I would cast my vote towards a makeup in the soft square last, but I’m open to both ultimately...

I take 9E in all his lasts, but the last in which I would have the greatest chance of taking 8.5 would be the Round last. And even then, I don't. I stick with 9E and use a sock liner sometimes.

I'm a little chicken to try 8.5 in either of the Chisel lasts, as I am pretty sure I will run into problems with length and end up not wearing the shoes.

gmehra

Reaction score
lasting process, the uppers sit correctly on the last. That being said, Antonio's machine lasted shoes still look very very good.

In terms of cost, at a minimum i would expect a 150 Euro up charge for handwelting. With definitely a longer production time.

I do not know what gave you the idea that the grey museum balmoral GMTO is under way. It is clearly evident that we are still collating interests, and that discussions are still preliminary.

Balmoral oxfords are more expensive because of the long vamp and decreased yield per hide as a result. It'll probably be around 490 to just north of 500 Euros as a GMTO.

@ThunderMarch thanks for the additional information

I think you misunderstood my last message when I stated that the GMTO "has already started"

What I meant was that discussions have started and the process has begun.

what would be the payment terms? is it 50/50 or 100% up front? also if I remember correctly (i apologize in advance if this is not correct) is he still unable accept paypal, credit card or transferwise for these GMTO's?

GYWFan

Reaction score
I'd be interested in a darker grey museum. Preferably a Decurion II on a Chisel II last.

Argentum welting is probably a preference from a pricing point of view but am open to thinking about hand-welted if the majority swings that way.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aside from a semi-recent splurge at Skoak last year, I have been out of the shoe game for a while. I went a bit crazy about five years ago, and with prices - especially for English shoes - rising each year, I just became disinterested. Plus, I still have about 20 some odd pairs - mainly G&G, EG, JL, C&J, Vass, Carmina, etc. - that I do not really need new kicks.

I just received my first pair of AM, from the Argentum Dux line - and I have to say, run, don't walk. This is unquestionably the best deal I have found in shoes. Including lasted shoe trees, and shipping from Singapore - I spent $600.00. That is nothing less than insane. Maybe I am crazy, but I put these above my G&G.

Long story short, I am stunned. Special thanks to @venividivicibj, who turned me on to the brand a while back.

FullSizeRender (27).jpg

Last edited:

UNOAIMX

Reaction score
You sound right about the same size as me and cattitude.
You will fit into most of Antonio's lasts in UK 9E.
The Soft Square and Hawksbill would probably fit you the best.
You might also feel that the Chisel 2 is a touch generous if you feel that the Rain instep is too high. But if the U last in 42.5 works well for you, it probably won't be too big of an issue. Since the U last is a relatively high instep last.

Going on a big assumption here: so is it safe to say someone who is size 8 in Vass F last / 8.5 in U-last, 8 in EnzoBonafe 946, etc, should take size 9E in AM Hawksbill last... am I understanding this approximation correctly....

Been eyeing that Burgundy Doublemonk on the AM outlet stock...drool

Last edited:

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aside from a semi-recent splurge at Skoak last year, I have been out of the shoe game for a while. I went a bit crazy about five years ago, and with prices - especially for English shoes - rising each year, I just became disinterested. Plus, I still have about 20 some odd pairs - mainly G&G, EG, JL, C&J, Vass, Carmina, etc. - that I do not really need new kicks.

I just received my first pair of AM, from the Argentum Dux line - and I have to say, run, don't walk. This is unquestionably the best deal I have found in shoes. Including lasted shoe trees, and shipping from Singapore - I spent $600.00. That is nothing less than insane. Maybe I am crazy, but I put these above my G&G.

Long story short, I am stunned. Special thanks to @venividivicibj, who turned me on to the brand a while back.

View attachment 882314
+1 for @ThunderMarch and his fanatical devotion to AM (good fanaticism, to be sure) over better known brands.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will provide some side-by-sides later, perhaps. I am excited to bring the shoes to a mirror shine. They have a bespoke feel that I have really only seen in, well, bespoke.

ThunderMarch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Going on a big assumption here: so is it safe to say someone who is size 8 in Vass F last / 8.5 in U-last, 8 in EnzoBonafe 946, etc, should take size 9E in AM Hawksbill last... am I understanding this approximation correctly....

Been eyeing that Burgundy Doublemonk on the AM outlet stock...drool

If you feel really really snug in the F and 946 in those sizes, then yes.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is definitely a "duh" moment for me as well. Also, I am happy to report, this may be my best fit with RTW. The hawksbill fits great on me.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

View attachment 882314

+1, didn’t know they come with trees from Singapore seller

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads