• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Antonio Meccariello Shoes

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
he said weston;s method
needs linen to strengthen
teh holdfast
his method
he says is functionally
similar in strength
as a handwelted shoe
since the stitching goes
thru the centre/core of
the insole
plus there is no
high wall like weston
or gemmed shoes
so teh space to be filled
is much less
and makes for
a lighter shoe
like handwelted ones

and yes
he says he uses
teh same thickness
insole as his handwelted
shoes; ~5-5.5mm

Yes it's sounds like a good compromise. The best features of hand welted shoes are there, the thicker insole, no gemming and thinner void, while you get the faster production of using a Goodyear machine to keep the prices down.

rdsr

Reaction score
Furthermore what's the difference, between Aurum non-bespoke and Argentum hand welted?
And what is the price and style selection differences between Aurum non-bespoke, Argentum hand welted MTO, and Argentum MTO.

Last edited:

Punt

Reaction score
Finally, after Antonio chasing me for a few weeks (that's a first one: as normally we need to chase the Italians) I have given all my (well not a lot) adjustments for the final shoe.

I must say I am impressed with the test shoes quality; If this is the "cheapest" of is his makes, I am not sure what Aurum will bring....

Anyway, will keep you all up to date with progress pictures of the real deal...

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Furthermore what's the difference, between Aurum non-bespoke and Argentum hand welted?
And what is the price and style selection differences between Aurum non-bespoke, Argentum hand welted MTO, and Argentum MTO.

This was posted in another forum, like a standard reply from Antonio I guess:

"I have two lines: Argentum hand welted and "Aurum". All my shoes from the standard Argentum" line to the Aurum lines are fully handwelted. The difference is that for my Aurum shoes there is a lot of work involved in making the shoe. The insole is more finely carved to be as tight as possible to the waist and sole, the toe puffs and heel counters are skivvied very precisely as not to interrupt the flow of the last. Outside the shoe, I use the finest available leathers (the same as used for bespoke work), the shaping of the soles, waist and heel is a lot finer and more precise than my normal shoes. In fact it takes almost twice as long to make as compared to my standard shoe. It is the closest to bespoke work outside of me personally taking your measurements and doing the fittings.

All my Aurum shoes are available in any last you wish, but the Aurum specific lasts (on my tumblr all the Aurum lasts are identified) are more sinuous and ergonomic in shape with tighter waists. My tumblr site is: meccariello-calzoleria.tumblr.com

Argentum shoes start at Euro 750 () Boot prices depend on the model
Standard shoe tree =if avaiable=35 euro only for Argentum.
Aurum shoes start at Euro 1150 (does not include a bespoke shoe tree) Boot prices depend on the model
A three piece bespoke shoe tree is Euro 150
A spring loaded two piece bespoke shoe tree is Euro 120
Metal LuLu toe tips are Euro 50
Last adjustment including a test shoe is Euro 300

The last adjustment service is where I check the measurements of your foot against your chosen last and manually adjust it to make a personalised last for you. This service is more like made to measure/semi bespoke. For me, true bespoke is when I personally take your measurements, and personally conduct the fittings, and this I am not able to do for clients who do not come to Naples."

Last edited:

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, now everything's clear as mud about the Argentum line. Is it all handwelted? Or are the RTW/MTO Argentum GYW with an option to get Argentum handwelted?

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, now everything's clear as mud about the Argentum line. Is it all handwelted? Or are the RTW/MTO Argentum GYW with an option to get Argentum handwelted?

I think, though I'm not sure, that this above is what's reality now until he launches the new site, then he starts with the Argentum Goodyear welted RTW and MTO.

Last edited:

rdsr

Reaction score
This seems like Argentum is actually replacing (or re-naming of) his standard line of the past and if I am understanding it correctly there are technically only two line, Argentum and Aurum, and they are all hand welted.
His description of Argentum versus Aurum and their details are somewhat similar to my question a year ago when I placed my order. Based on the similarity I am guessing there are some styling limitation for Argentum beyond that of just last selection.

JermynStreet

Reaction score
Just got a test photo, as well. Looks like Antonio was working hard this Christmas.

sacafotos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How many of you have done the semi bespoke/last adjustment option without physically traveling to see him?

I'd be worried about the human error (client side) involved, but seems like a viable option if he's offering it.

MSchapiro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How many of you have done the semi bespoke/last adjustment option without physically traveling to see him?

I'd be worried about the human error (client side) involved, but seems like a viable option if he's offering it.
I have.
Took a test shoe to get perfect. Antonio is very good if you just describe what you are feeling.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Honestly, with EG/G&G/StC prices rising so much, I don't know why anyone would not use Antonio. Better finishing, handwelted, and MTM.

Oh, and almost half the price.

Last edited:

sacafotos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Honestly, with EG/G&G/StC prices rising so much, I don't know why anyone would not use Antonio. Better finishing, handwelted, and MTM.

Oh, and almost half the price.

Great minds :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads