• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, youโ€™ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Antonio Meccariello Shoes

supern0va

Reaction score
By the way anyone has a overhead shot of chisel 1, 2 and soft square comparison? My guess is soft square is like 606, chisel 1 is like TG73 while chisel 2 is like MH71?

See pictures below. Use this for last shape only. The lengths are different, but fit my feet. All sizes indicated are UK sizes.

In particular, as @ThunderMarch said earlier, AM soft square is a lot more tapered in the toes than AM chisel 2 in the same size. This is because AM soft square is much shorter - my AM soft square in UK6.5E is the same length or even a hair shorter than as my GG MH71 in UK6F.

4143DF90-9F1C-4967-9638-C4C39C4F8529.jpeg

BF413686-CA84-4C5F-964D-A5D766BE4F43.jpeg

E9406540-92DF-4262-B086-BC89F257406D.jpeg

Last edited:

ThunderMarch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is a top down shot of the soft square flanked by the chisel 2 (on the left) and chisel 1 (on the right).

Imo the chisel 2 is much nicer in overall aesthetic and profile than the chisel 1... And they fit similarly. So my choice is obvious.

The soft square feels a quarter size more narrow than the chisel lasts. So if the chisel feels loose-ish on you, then the soft square is probably gonna be a nice fit. For those who have a wide forefoot, it's a clear-cut half size up from your normal.

@clee1982, noted that you're also ok with the soft square. It's a really nice last and I like it.... Looks like it's the way to go.

@cypi2 have noted your input as well. At this moment things are still looking like it's gonna be a austerity brogue
lazyman in navy. But do take your time to consider of course. If there is a switch to a navy austerity brogue oxford (regular oxford, non lazyman), I'll probably be out, because I have that exact make up pending with Seiji McCarthy.

@supern0va, you're welcome!
Thanks for taking part in the inaugural GMTO!

Screenshot_20171015-084128.png

Last edited:

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Chisel 1 definitely looks like a bulky version of chisel 2. I'm willing to try soft square, though probably got to play a bit mind game on sizing (my chisel 2 in 9F is slightly too big, not sure if I should do 9E or 8.5F, though if soft square is a bit tighter might be better just stay same size?)

ThunderMarch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chisel 1 definitely looks like a bulky version of chisel 2. I'm willing to try soft square, though probably got to play a bit mind game on sizing (my chisel 2 in 9F is slightly too big, not sure if I should do 9E or 8.5F, though if soft square is a bit tighter might be better just stay same size?)

How's the length for the 9F Chisel?

cypi2

Reaction score
@cypi2 have noted your input as well. At this moment things are still looking like it's gonna be a austerity brogue in navy. But do take your time to consider of course. If there is a switch to a navy austerity brogue oxford, I'll probably be out, because I have that exact make up pending with Seiji McCarthy.

@ThunderMarch, Thank you much for taking note of my input.
Let me be more precise:
I would definitely be in for a lazyman austerity brogue in the vintage blue box calf you posted earlier on any of the Argentum lasts but without the faux laces.
Something similar to G&G's Malvern but with Mr. Meccariello's touch.
Below is a picture of G&G's Malvern to illustrate what I mean (I hope it is OK to post some G&G shoes on this thread):
Malvern.JPG

ThunderMarch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let me be more precise:
I would definitely be in for a lazyman austerity brogue in the vintage blue box calf you posted earlier on any of the Argentum lasts but without the faux laces.
Below is a picture of G&G's Malvern to illustrate what I mean (I hope it is OK to post some G&G shoes on this thread):
View attachment 858228

Ah, sorry, I just realised my typo and made some amendments to my earlier post. Must have caused some confusion.

I understand what you mean now. The omission of the faux laces is an interesting idea. I am fine with that, but wondering what the rest of the guys think??
@clee1982
@hst
@skyline72
@evangel21
@GeoffreyB

In any case, the vintage box calf will be an optional add-on, and we do not need to be in unison. Meaning that within the group, some may choose to go with regular box calf, and some may choose to pay the upcharge for the vintage. So absolutely no worries on that.

IIGQ4U

Reaction score
Let me be more precise:
View attachment 858228
This looks great. I would be in on these in brown or burgundy.

supern0va

Reaction score
And speaking of inspiration on lazy an with austerity brogues, should have checked his website first

Edit never mind this is with brogue, blame on small iPhone screen
https://www.meccarielloshoes.it/argentum-handwelted-gallery/

IMG_5730.jpg

IMG_5742.jpg

IMG_5728.jpg

IMG_5736.jpg

Iโ€™m in for the make up above - faux lacing, seems to be imitation brogue, or something close eg no medallion - in the vintage navy calf.

Frankly, I think chisel2 is easier to fit. I find soft square a little tight, and I donโ€™t think I can size up - instep may be too big if I do. But not a stickler on this.

If itโ€™s like GG malvern ie austerity with no laces like @cypi2 suggested, Iโ€™m out.

@ThunderMarch

matlee89

Reaction score
@ThunderMarch

Actually, we often compare the toe box widths, but any insight on the heel? I found the chisel 2 to have much better heel grip for my narrow heels right out of the box compared to the round and hawksbill lasts.

Here is a top down shot of the soft square flanked by the chisel 2 (on the left) and chisel 1 (on the right).

Imo the chisel 2 is much nicer in overall aesthetic and profile than the chisel 1... And they fit similarly. So my choice is obvious.

The soft square feels a quarter size more narrow than the chisel lasts. So if the chisel feels loose-ish on you, then the soft square is probably gonna be a nice fit. For those who have a wide forefoot, it's a clear-cut half size up from your normal.

@clee1982, noted that you're also ok with the soft square. It's a really nice last and I like it.... Looks like it's the way to go.

@cypi2 have noted your input as well. At this moment things are still looking like it's gonna be a austerity brogue
lazyman in navy. But do take your time to consider of course. If there is a switch to a navy austerity brogue oxford (regular oxford, non lazyman), I'll probably be out, because I have that exact make up pending with Seiji McCarthy.

@supern0va, you're welcome!
Thanks for taking part in the inaugural GMTO!

View attachment 858181

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member