• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Android Phones? HTC Magic anyone?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm curious. I'll be buying a new phone in a couple months but i'm leaning towards a blackberry curve 8900 or a bold. The biggest thing for me is a good keypad and GPS.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
had a 1st gen adroid for a while, went back to bberry. what have they improved?

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the G1, the cupcake update was pretty significant last week. Whats better about the 2nd gen?

Regards.

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I never used the G1 but the Magic is quite a bit thinner than that. Nice size, feels good in the hand, hardware seems decent enough.

The OS is very nice. Things are where you expect them to be, very logical, not the complete goddamn clusterfuck Windows Mobile is. I do all my personal stuff and work stuff through GMail and it's impressive to see all the contacts and calendar entries sync up so smoothly.

I hate touchscreen **** but this one is usable, especially in landscape mode. It has orientation sensors, so the screen re-orients when it's on its side and that keyboard is extremely usable. Portrait style is just for hunt and peck.

O, and I came from a Samsung i780 (which is called the Epix in the USA). Excellent phone, **** OS.

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The HTC magic is similar to the HTC Touch which is what i used prior to the G1, which is also an HTC phone. On the HTC Touch, windows mobile and lack of keyboard killed it but i loved the phone....very sleek and unobstrusive in pocket.
The OI is identical on all android phones, its the v. 1.5 currently, which allows similar funtionality across the board. The Magic and G1 have an awesome touchscreen, like the iphone, sad that multitouch is licenced to Apple!!
The Magic is slimmer, but doesnt have a slideout keyboard. I am pretty spoilt by the hard keyboard of the G1, its especially useful for emails.

Regards.

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shikar
The HTC magic is similar to the HTC Touch which is what i used prior to the G1, which is also an HTC phone. On the touch windows mobile and lack of keyboard killed it but i loved the phone....very sleek and unobstrusive in pocket.
The OI is identical on all android phones, its the v. 1.5 currently, which allows similar funtionality across the board. The Magic and G1 have an awesome touchscreen, like the iphone, sad that multitouch is licenced to Apple!!
The Magic is slimmer, but doesnt have a slideout keyboard. I am pretty spoilt by the hard keyboard of the G1, its especially useful for emails.

Regards.

I had the HTC Touch too, loved the form factor, hated the sluggishness of WM. You could try the Epix, the form factor isn't too far off and the keyboard on that is excellent, reminds me of the good keyboards on the older Treos.

I am still debating if I miss the hard keyboard, but the wide keyboard in landscape mode on the Magic is definitely workable even for longer messages. What is ridiculous is how little space they give you to type your SMS messages.

Epix will be followed by a new model later this year, Palm Pre looks kinda neat too.

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf
I had the HTC Touch too, loved the form factor, hated the sluggishness of WM. You could try the Epix, the form factor isn't too far off and the keyboard on that is excellent, reminds me of the good keyboards on the older Treos.

I am still debating if I miss the hard keyboard, but the wide keyboard in landscape mode on the Magic is definitely workable even for longer messages. What is ridiculous is how little space they give you to type your SMS messages.

Epix will be followed by a new model later this year, Palm Pre looks kinda neat too.

Ahhhh...loved the Treos....esp the 650, looong battery life!! Just changed to an extended battery on the G1, has a little hump, but works all darn day with half life still left at end of the day!
I like the keyboard in landscape, but reflexivly slide out the hard keyboard as its just more tactile and faster for me.
I am hooked on Android/Google....my email/schedule/phone book etc...its all on google! Love the ease of taking videos and hosting them on youtube too!

Regards.

totally epic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shikar
sad that multitouch is licenced to Apple!!

I haven't tried it, but apparently you can jail break your G1 to use multitouch. Basically, the hardware is there, but it's disabled in software due to the patents.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by totally epic
I haven't tried it, but apparently you can jail break your G1 to use multitouch. Basically, the hardware is there, but it's disabled in software due to the patents.

It's not entirely true. Some aspects of multitouch are covered but the idea of using two inputs at once is not. My eeepc has a multitouch pad that allows pinch zooming and two-finger scrolling. My BB Storm (piece of junk) has multitouch for things like selecting groups of emails.

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The T-mobile HTC wing is a pretty nifty phone too. One has to reduce the pagepool size from the T-mobile default. Opera browser is good.

If you are in a wimax city, consider the HTC quartz. GSM + wimax. Trying to get my hands on one.

-

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads